Does any one have myoclonic jerks and photosensetivity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
And needs to take keppra more than 500 bid? for example 750 bid?

And im not talking about severe myoclonic jerks but something small.

Hi kostareyna

I'm not on Keppra, so don't know if I can help, but have myoclonic jerks and am photosensitive.

I've noticed my jerks may be connected to mealtimes: I get them when I need to eat (i.e. when my blood sugars are low), or after eating something salty or sweet. I mostly eat plain foods.

I'm on Tegretol 200mg bid and Topamax 100mg bid (migraine dose), and am expecting a medication review this week.

Hi kostareyna

I'm not on Keppra, so don't know if I can help, but have myoclonic jerks and am photosensitive.

I've noticed my jerks may be connected to mealtimes: I get them when I need to eat (i.e. when my blood sugars are low), or after eating something salty or sweet. I mostly eat plain foods.

I'm on Tegretol 200mg bid and Topamax 100mg bid (migraine dose), and am expecting a medication review this week.

Tnx chel for the reply.

I actually feeling the same about meals,btw does the 100 topamax is enough to stop your myoclonic jerks on day to day tasks and when you being exposed to flashing lights?

Also do you have the side effects of confusion, weird taste,problem with vocabulary in this dose?

Last edited:
I actually feeling the same about meals,btw does the 100 topamax is enough to stop your myoclonic jerks on day to day tasks and when you being exposed to flashing lights?

Also do you have the side effects of confusion, weird taste,problem with vocabulary in this dose?

The Topamax is for migraine, and I take it every day, so no, it's not stopping the jerks. I've been taking the Topamax and Tegretol longer than I've had myoclonic jerks.

I've also had "confusion" and problems with language longer than I've been on any medication (and before I developed epilepsy), so I don't consider those symptoms to be "side effects". I think they are symptoms of my medical problems.

I don't have any problems with weird tastes.

I get myoclonic jerks at night and some times they're big and some times they're not. Usually I'm falling asleep or they wake me up cuz its so big. Im on lamictal and Zonegran though. Stress makes it worse.
I'm photo sensitive as well. I can't stand fluorescent lights, and I usually keep my blinds shut cuz certain times of the day the sun is too bright and gives me a headache. Plus being on the computer too long with the white lights bother me too. It sounds weird but I can't deal with it at times. Migraines make it worse. What does your neurologist say about it? I'm curious because mine brushed it off as nothing.

I get myoclonic jerks at night and some times they're big and some times they're not. Usually I'm falling asleep or they wake me up cuz its so big. Im on lamictal and Zonegran though. Stress makes it worse.
I'm photo sensitive as well. I can't stand fluorescent lights, and I usually keep my blinds shut cuz certain times of the day the sun is too bright and gives me a headache. Plus being on the computer too long with the white lights bother me too. It sounds weird but I can't deal with it at times. Migraines make it worse. What does your neurologist say about it? I'm curious because mine brushed it off as nothing.

Well my neurologist knows im photosensetive i guess.

Any unlike you i don't get headech but a jerk.now when im on keppra i feel something rarly but still on the photic stimulation test i failed altough din't jerk so i will probebly increase the keppra.About the jerks keep in mind that lamictal sometimes worsening them.that's a siezure and its not normal it happens.Talk to your doc about it and yeah white lights affect me as well.

cheers,btw try wearing polorized sun glasses especially in blue color,im going to buy those in a week when i be visiting the u.s.They might actually help of the brithness of the screen will be lower.

Have you checked if blue polarized lenses are the right ones for you? I bought blue, and they had little effect. Then I bought amber, and instantly my face relaxed. Amber is the right colour for me...

Have you checked if blue polarized lenses are the right ones for you? I bought blue, and they had little effect. Then I bought amber, and instantly my face relaxed. Amber is the right colour for me...

I'm not sure i will have the chance to check the color whather its right for me or not.

Back
Top Bottom