Does anybody have any unusual postictal behaviour?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anyone who has some unusual postictal behaviour?
I know there is often alot of confusion, sometimes vomiting, sometimes aggression...what is out there?

I was just wondering if there is anyone who has some unusual postictal behaviour?

sometimes aggression...

That is what others have said mine has been... I've been told that several times 911 was called and I even tried to attack the officer once. OMG :0

Another time, a friend said I pushed her aside when I came out of the seizure and tried to slug her.

And then, once I was told later by my parents that I even pushed my father across the room when they were waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Fortunately for me, I don't remember any of these incidents, but they sure do. :embarrassed:

Where do I begin!

I tear up just thinking about the things that happen to me. The weird stuff that sends me to the edge. Im usually standing there trying to figure out how I got there? Remembering nothing prior to the feeling of isolation, fear, and not wanting anyone to see me that way. Quickly trying to come up with an excuse for the tears and red eyes. I tear up trying to grasp why? Why am I experiencing this. Why? Why won't they do something to help me? Why? I tear up, knowing that it is what it is. Feeling like no one believes me. Yes, My stomach aches, and waves of nausea comes in leaps and bounds and I've thrown up, I've been exhausted, unplugged, wiped out and erased. Yes, my muscles tense up, my heart pounds and my thoughts run wild. Yes, I see things, don't know if they're real or not. Lights flashing and sometimes choking because I find it hard to swallow. But my problem is. . . I can't tell when and where it began, or if I'm in the middle of it or at the end!

Oh, maryltyme! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make anyone tear up! I've had some strange stuff happen to me recently and I was just wondering if it is at all a postictal behaviour. I often try to hide what happens to me too. ALthough it is nothing I can help so I shouldn't be embarassed and nor should you. It is isolating. And to say why is like questioning life itself...there isn't really an answer. Not that it makes us feel better to know that there isn't really an answer be it genetics, tumours, vascular incidents, associated with other illnesses, brain trauma or simply who knows why. I have found myself batting at shadows in terror. It's all pretty messed up and we all just try to muster up all the courage we have and all the grace we have and take it day by day. And know that we are not alone. As to where it begins or ends...sometimes it is like a circle, or a reset button and we start all over again. Hugs to you maryltyme.

*Raising hand.* I have strange postictal behavior. Ugh.

In general, I completely freak out and panic. I had a seizure in the hospital in 2009 - I was pregnant, and I had been admitted for a kidney or gall stone (they were never sure which it was). I was given a shot of Demerol for pain. I had a seizure about 8 hours later. My first memory after the seizure (which of course I don't remember) is mass chaos in my hospital room. There were a couple doctors and a whole bunch of nurses in there, and people were trying to hold me down while I fought to get up. I kept trying to explain that if they'd just let go of me, I wouldn't get up, but they didn't seem to understand me and I'm not sure I was even speaking real words. I felt like I couldn't breathe and I was going to die, and all I wanted was to be left the heck alone. Since I was completely combative and panicking and irrational, they gave me a shot of Ativan and the lights went out. I think I slept for about 24 hours after that one. I don't remember the MRI, EEG, and CT scan they did on me while I was in there, nor do I remember the hour long sono they did on my baby to make sure he was okay. UGH. Not cool.

I had another one like that a couple weeks ago that was equally as bad (luckily I wasn't pregnant, though). My husband's seen me have seizures and he's aware that he really doesn't need to call 911 for a regular, run of the mill tonic clonic. However, he couldn't calm me down. I was screaming at the top of my lungs, and kicking, and freaking out. My husband had to call 911 because he couldn't handle my 3 kids (who were freaking out because I was freaking out) and calm me down at the same time.

I HATE my postictal behavior.

LOL!!!! Apart from the obvious,i have urinated in a freezer,stepped into an empty bath,standing up and urinated then got out and flushed the toilet,and urinated on a bed room floor went through and one again flushed the toilet.Hmmmm think im gonna stop now.Im with you summerf,i HATE my postictal behaviour.These are just some off the more amusing incidents,theres plenty more to tell!!!

Thank You : )

Oh, maryltyme! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to make anyone tear up! I've had some strange stuff happen to me recently and I was just wondering if it is at all a postictal behaviour. I often try to hide what happens to me too. ALthough it is nothing I can help so I shouldn't be embarassed and nor should you. It is isolating. And to say why is like questioning life itself...there isn't really an answer. Not that it makes us feel better to know that there isn't really an answer be it genetics, tumours, vascular incidents, associated with other illnesses, brain trauma or simply who knows why. I have found myself batting at shadows in terror. It's all pretty messed up and we all just try to muster up all the courage we have and all the grace we have and take it day by day. And know that we are not alone. As to where it begins or ends...sometimes it is like a circle, or a reset button and we start all over again. Hugs to you maryltyme.

Thank you for the Hug, much needed. But thank you most of all for posting the question. Very seldom do people ask how I feel and really mean it. But I do cry at the beginning, in the middle of and after. I get scared and I immediatly try to remember what happened, how long, what triggered it? I forgot to mention, that I repeat myself and walk in circles, funny tho, I know what I'm trying to do, be it get a glass of water or something, I just can't make myself do it the right way the first time (if that makes sense). It's like rewinding the rewind. Since I have no diagnosis, I don't know if its aura's, simple partial seizures or anxiety? I don't know if Im coming out of it or going into it.

Thank you for the encouragement, yes, I am taking it "day by day".
Hugs to you LJ-BAIN : )

LOL!!!! Apart from the obvious,i have urinated in a freezer,stepped into an empty bath,standing up and urinated then got out and flushed the toilet,and urinated on a bed room floor went through and one again flushed the toilet.Hmmmm think im gonna stop now.!
Good, enough said.....

Thanks for sharing everyone! Neil129...those are certainly some interesting ones!
I have just started to have postictal behaviour after clusters instead of just being groggy.
I have just started to wander and wipe my nose and bat at nothing.
I have started to harm myself too but they are reducing my vimpat to see if that helps since I am somewhat aware that I am doing it.

I can't imagine how scary it must be to feel panicked. And I hope I never do! The things that these seizures do to us! And cint, I'm glad that you have no memory of the events!

No bother LJ-Bain,after all you did ask for the stranger ones!!! I get the normal denial and sometimes a bit aggresive,but they seem didnt fit this thread quite right,as i find them to be quite normal.So i went for the more extreme ones.

I do hope that reducing your vimpat helps,good luck and all the best.

Last edited:
I think the question should be is there anyone who doesn't experience strange post-ictal behaviour?
I get up and run, and don't stop for anything. I've nearly thrown myself through glass shower doors, down flights of stairs. The only thing that has stopped me from seriously injuring myself is my partner who stops me and I usually thank him by being verbally and physcially violent towards him. I also don't remember most of what I do, sometimes just snippets. Like I vaguely remember swearing at the paramedic, and once getting up out of bed and my feet falling out from under me.
It's like the post-ictal causes me to become a totally different person. It was good when I first came here and realised I wasn't alone. In fact, I discovered compared to some the things I get up to a relatively tame. I can't remember who it was, but a while ago I read about a person who woke up 24hours later on a park bench on the other side of town and with no recollection of how they got there....... scary.

One time I was aimlessley opening cabinets in the kitchen. I was naked and my wife was trying to coax me into underwear before the EMT's came. She was successful :)

LOVE IT everyone! I mean, well, I'm sorry that we all have to go through it....well, you know what I mean (blushin'). LOL! We are an amazing and interesting bunch.

i dont think mine are postictal? dont know what the H^#% they are?

maryltyme, part of what you experience could be postictal. I'm never quite sure when I'm postictal (after a seizure ends) or if I'm still experiencing the seizure either. It's all so strange. I know they'll figure you out one day, and I hope it is soon.

Back
Top Bottom