Does anyone consider stress their #1 reason for seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stress is a major trigger for me, even the tv would stress me out sometimes,
My epioligst (I know it's spelt wrong, I'm not going to stress myself out by spelling it right) sent me to a stress management workshop here in Ireland,
If I feel stressed, I lie down for few minutes if it is possible, close my eyes, or just go for a jog which I find relaxing, make sure to breathe properly,
I try not to get too stressed out about little things

I don't consider stress #1 for my sz's which can be brought on by anything.

interesting topic! enjoying reading everyone's triggers! mine seems to be a combination of things; but if I over exert myself during the day- work really hard at work/home, I tend to have one in the evening time. most of the time I have them when I am pretty relaxed. but bad sleep night/ stress doesn't help WHATSOEVER. I think a big reason for me is lack of sleep and over-exertion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've learned in my case at least, that relaxation and meditation exercises have actually eased my symptoms/side effects to my meds. There have been times where I have an aura, but if I'm able to relax and take deep breaths, calm myself...it ebbs away. Everybody is different, but I've found that reducing my stress has benefited me tremendously.

Yeah, I'm the same, if I can reduce my stress I can keep my seizure at bay

if I focus on my breathing, I get through them much easier

lack of sleep and sickness, usually a sinus infection. To be safe though I also avoid alcohol. Get exercise and massage to avoid stress. Sleep is difficult even with 2 mg of klonipin and 8 mg of zaniflex. Because I drink so much fluids I have washed the sodium out of my body and have cramps/spasms all night and also have to use the bathroom 2-4 times a night.

I have an appointment to see a nephrologist next month. I have read that low sodium can cause seizures. If it's not a kidney problem I will see an endocrinologist. I don't have diabetes type 1 or 2 but possibly diabetes insipidus.

and there's always that random unexpected trigger (expect the unexpected)

also sometimes when sitting on the toilet and reading...I get these sudden odd sensations that I assume are some type of seizure activity...

maybe it's from the reading...I get this weird "motion sickness" and it feels like I'm on a boat encountering huge waves or like I'm an astronaut about to blast off...geez all I want to do is read while I'm handling my business...but my brain says NO :huh:

Last edited:
I too enjoy reading everyone's triggers. Mine are mostly lack of sleep and stress; but sometimes I have them and there is no stress that I am aware of and I had a good sleep. Sometimes I think we have subliminal stress that we are unaware of.

That is interesting about low sodium being a trigger. I too drink a lot of water, because it's so good for other things. Maybe I'll cut it down a little.

I too enjoy reading everyone's triggers. Mine are mostly lack of sleep and stress; but sometimes I have them and there is no stress that I am aware of and I had a good sleep. Sometimes I think we have subliminal stress that we are unaware of.

That is interesting about low sodium being a trigger. I too drink a lot of water, because it's so good for other things. Maybe I'll cut it down a little.

I have been tracking my fluid intake today and already I have had 194 ozs. of fluid and it's only 6:15 PM.

I feel like drinking lots of water helps me, but idk. I drink about 3 water bottles a day now.! but i used to only drink one small glass every couple days- I don't like the flavor of water haha!

I feel like drinking lots of water helps me, but idk. I drink about 3 water bottles a day now.! but i used to only drink one small glass every couple days- I don't like the flavor of water haha!

You do drink other fluids though? I know I drink to much but it sounds like you may not be drinking enough.

yes, I drink lots of juice. and 1-2 glasses of tea a night. no sodas/coffee.

I have been having seizures more frequently in the last few days. I worry about this and wonder what's causing me to have them more frequently. It is interesting to note that someone said too much sleep can cause them. I know too little sleep and excess stress cause them for me. My last seizure was yesterday when I went to the YMCA to exercise. After class I sat at a table and had something to eat and then closed my eyes and slept,about 20 minutes. That morning I got up late and had more sleep than normal and was stressed out because I had little time to eat and catch the bus, so I guess I was sublimely stressed. it's so difficult to identify the triggers but I truly hope and pray they don't get worse because I don't want to take medication; so this website is invaluable to me to get other peoples ideas. Any more good ideas, PM me
You don't take any anti-seizure meds?

Oh yes,theres no doubting that one.Stress is defo the number one cause off my seizures.I don't need any doc,or scan to tell me this,good old fashioned experience has taught me that one.

Off course now and again one will come out off the blue with no rhyme nor reason to it,but the majority off them is certainly caused by stress.

Back
Top Bottom