Does anyone consider stress their #1 reason for seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I feel like drinking lots of water helps me, but idk. I drink about 3 water bottles a day now.! but i used to only drink one small glass every couple days- I don't like the flavor of water haha!

Of course drinking lots of water helps you lol...omg I can't believe you use to starve your body of water like that...that's awful! You're suppose to love your body! Afterall your body is composed of nearly 70% water as is this planet! I drink about 80oz of water on a regular day...that's filtered water...I don't believe in bottled water...I think it's wasteful and I stay far away from plastic!!! (no BPA please!!!) On my workout days I will consume more water than usual...ahhh refreshing! Water is a vital part of life as it brings lots of cleansing love! Feel the energy! :)

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in water too. I avoid plastic like the plague and know that bottled water is no cleaner than tap and it takes at least the waste of one gallon of water to make every little plastic bottle, let alone the fuel consumed to transport that stuff around the continent to your town. Here we have clean city water that is not treated with fluoride and comes from ancient glaciers. I still like the filtered at home though. And it calms me down to drink a 1/2 gallon through the day.
And to the point; Stress is a major trigger for me and being over tired triggers stress too. There seems to be other causes too but yes Stress is the biggest now.

Tiredness is my no 1, but more than stress per se, I would say any 'big' feeling not just feeling pressured but even feeling excited.

Ever year we hold a huge award ceremony to celebrate the achievements of young people, the year before last I didn't make it to the ceremony because I had a seizure, this year every time I looked like I might be getting excited, kids would bring me down a bit by making me think about drowned kittens...got to love my kids always looking out for me.

Q

Yep it's a biggie. Stress will impact non your mental and physical health in really destructive ways and will be a cause of S.

After having several seizures because if it I decided not to let myself get too worried anymore so I don't. People who cause trouble or are repeat offenders of causing me undue stress are shut out of my life period. If thier personality lends itself to argumentative conversation or constant drama I walk away and ignore for my own well being.

The other thing that helps lots is get in control of finances as that's a big stress area if it's not going in your favour and it's one area I can remove stress by managing it well.

CERTAINLY ONE OF THEM if I under stress and know I going to be ,it play on my mind and I end up having seziour or migraine

Yep it's a biggie. Stress will impact non your mental and physical health in really destructive ways and will be a cause of S.

After having several seizures because if it I decided not to let myself get too worried anymore so I don't. People who cause trouble or are repeat offenders of causing me undue stress are shut out of my life period. If thier personality lends itself to argumentative conversation or constant drama I walk away and ignore for my own well being.

The other thing that helps lots is get in control of finances as that's a big stress area if it's not going in your favour and it's one area I can remove stress by managing it well.
Yes! You are so right! Another thing I feel helps to eliminate stress is prayer and meditation. I pray to St. Dylphina (sp?) who is the patron saint of epilepsy.

yeah, stress seems to be one of the biggest triggers for me as well, lack of sleep being my number one trigger. It sucks for me too, cuz a lot of my seizure activity takes place in my sleep which makes me afraid to go to sleep half the time and then that puts my anxiety through the roof and then causes me to have even more seizures because I'm both stressed out and not getting sleep. It truly is a vicious cycle.

My seizures seems to happen right after I wake up MOST of the time at least, I've had like one or two which were when I was up during the day, but my sleep is never normal. I may sleep 12am to 7pm, and a month later 6am to 1pm and so forth, since I really have nothing to do it has been like this for years so that could be part of the reason I had those when I didn't wake up.

Stress? I am depressed a lot, well I am not as bad as I once was but still it may be a trigger for me but I've never noticed having one when I get really depressed and stressing out about everything in my life.

Stress and anxiety will do it for me, or at least it has in the past.

Hey Notime, my seizures have also started to happen in the mornings, since i've started taking gabapentin. Since gabapentin only works for 6hrs, in the mornings after i wake, i am not medicated. I wait 1 hr before taking my meds, and so far, 23 of my last 25 seizures have been in that 1 hr period, or early morning.

:piano: :pop:

Stress, lack of sleep and lack of food (protein). I have also noticed that I get seizures after a night of drinking (more than two drinks).

For me my biggest trigger is mental stress, lack of sleep, and probably when I don't eat. Some times if I'm in an uncomfortable position, like maybe I'm stuck talking to someone I don't really want to talk to, it triggers aura's. So I know I have to get away from the person or situation before it turns into a complex partial seizure!
*****I HATE SEIZURES*****

Mostly same as people who don't have esoteric triggers- stress/fatigue/being run down. I've also found fast moving random bright light can do it too (ie sunlight dappled through tree leaves on a very hot and windy day) sometimes.

Oh, though I did find that DJing and listening to 1 set of beats in my 'phones and matching against the ones coming out of the speakers triggered me as well.

Mostly same as people who don't have esoteric triggers- stress/fatigue/being run down. I've also found fast moving random bright light can do it too (ie sunlight dappled through tree leaves on a very hot and windy day) sometimes.

Oh, though I did find that DJing and listening to 1 set of beats in my 'phones and matching against the ones coming out of the speakers triggered me as well.

I get the same thing with sunlight through trees. Or even on just a regular sunny day. Something about how the sky looks so blue. Rarely has it caused a seizure, but I get that "seizury" feeling. I usually pull down the sun visor or wear sunglasses if I'm going to be in a car. Also driving on the expressway going under an overpass has triggered a seizure in me before. Has something to do with sudden darkness to light.... I think? Hasn't happened in a long time now though. But I still get creeped out when driving under an overpass.
Oh, and my stupid iPhone and laptop trigger auras a lot!

I was going to say something, but I edited it lol

Last edited:
Does anyone consider stress their #1 reason for seizures?

In a word yes, but that is a umbrella cause for me. Mental or physical stress could bring on seizures. That could be anything from a fight with family, to a bad case of diarrhea caused by IBS. Some causes of stress for me can be eliminated or at least be reversed. Doing things like relaxing on the couch listening to music, sleeping, eating better, working on my computer, building LEGO, painting (will try soon), fishing, all help.

It doesn't matter what you do or where you go. You are going to find stress somewhere.
You just need to figure out the best way for you to handle it.

Back
Top Bottom