Does anyone eat foods with salt/potassium to prevent seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I found lots of articles that talked about how an electrolyte imbalance can lower the seizure threshold.

Most people get more than enough sodium since it's in just about every processed food out there in huge quantities. It's more important to make sure you're getting enough of things like potassium, calcium, magnesium, and selenium. (All the of the "ums" are elements that form ionic bonds, which means they play a big role in regulating the "electric" parts of the brain). Taking a magnesium supplement for instance can help some people with migraines.

Taking a supplement can help protect the brain (as can a B-Vitamin complex), but it's no guarantee of seizure control, since there are are a lot of different factors at play that can trigger a seizure. Making sure you have the right nutrients is a start, but it's just as important to have the right balance between all of them.

Do you notice if it's helped at all?

I add salt drink gatorade and stuff, I was eating what my grandmother cooked, and she cooks for herself and her heart problems. I went to the doc with a pottastium deffiencinecy

I take a potassium supplement prescibed by the doc. Dilantin will suck it out of you. So will being out in the heat too long. Electrolyte balance is essential. Stay hydated at all tmes especally when the body Is compromised from heat or illness. gigi

I don't know that we specifically try to eat more foods with potassium, but I used to joke with Stacy all the time anytime that we did eat avacados, bananas, tomatoes, etc. I'd ask her if she knew what was in them. She'd roll her eyes and groan and I'd exclaim with gusto - "They have lots of potassium!". It doesn't sound like much of a joke, but the humor was in the repetition.

Most people get more than enough sodium since it's in just about every processed food out there in huge quantities. It's more important to make sure you're getting enough of things like potassium, calcium, magnesium, and selenium. (All the of the "ums" are elements that form ionic bonds, which means they play a big role in regulating the "electric" parts of the brain). Taking a magnesium supplement for instance can help some people with migraines.

Some seizure medications can reduce sodium levels. I had to be taken off Trileptal because of this problem:

Oxcarbazepine can reduce the sodium in your body to dangerously low levels, which can cause a life-threatening electrolyte imbalance.

And with a few other medications I have had electrolyte imbalances because of. My epileptologist said to drink gatorade.

Some of the Pedialyte and electrolyte drinks are made with dextrose. I got a recipe from one of the web sites on here, the specific carbohydrate diet - SCD.

Electrolyte Drink:

1 quart boiled water
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda

This seems to work for me.

gigi

Back
Top Bottom