Does anyone have auditory processing issues?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dline

New
Reaction score
I've talked to my neuro and she is sending me for testing... a lot of times people will be speaking to me but I can't understand what they are saying. Not like a seizure sort of thing--it's different. When I have a seizure, I understand what people are saying but can't speak back. With this, I am looking at the person but literally can't understand what they are saying.

My neuro thinks it may be aphasia or something like that...or an auditory processing disorder. Sound familiar to anyone????? Don't like it one bit!

Last edited:
When I do have trouble understanding what others are saying, I'm having an "aura" or simple partial seizure. Aphasia for me is when I'm speaking and mid-sentence, I cannot think of the word I need to describe something. And then I completely lose my train of thought and what I was trying to describe in the first place.

A true diagnosed Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) can exist with epilepsy, just as other conditions can coincidently co-occur. However, if one's seizure focus is known to be in an area responsible for auditory processing, the seizure can be associated with difficulty processing auditory information. If auditory processing difficulties are present in absence of a seizure, then most often the diagnosed APD and seizures are two different entities (of course, cases of an actual lesion along or near the central auditory pathways causing seizures in addition to APD do exist).

I've had problems with that for years. I can hear someone speaking to me, but I misinterpret what they are saying. I've given answers when asked questions only to find out that my answer made no sense because I misunderstood what they had asked. I think it's part of the reason I hate talking on the phone so much since I can't see the other person to get a better idea of what they just said.

I totally get the phone thing and feel like I've almost developed a phone phobia over the years. I remember a time when I could chit-chat on it for hours--since my complex partials started 5-6 yrs ago it has gotten worse.

I hear them talking but the words between us are bouncing off. This doesn't happen with every conversation, but with many. My memory and communication=horrible (like it's not bad enough with seizures and meds, right???) :)

I have become the master of the one way conversation--the other person talks and I nod, smile, say mmmhmmm, really, that's interesting, huh?, wow, what did you do? I'm not trying to be rude or insincere, I just don't understand what they are saying and want to seem interested. Luckily through the years I have been able to piece together things with friends and family and was doing OK at work in a complex job for years but was let go last May due to some serious mistake that really were bound to happen at some point...

Hoping to get all of this figured out! Walkerjm3--if they give me any interesting info, I'll send it along :)

I've talked to my neuro and she is sending me for testing... a lot of times people will be speaking to me but I can't understand what they are saying. Not like a seizure sort of thing--it's different. When I have a seizure, I understand what people are saying but can't speak back. With this, I am looking at the person but literally can't understand what they are saying.

My neuro thinks it may be aphasia or something like that...or an auditory processing disorder. Sound familiar to anyone????? Don't like it one bit!
I am working with a developmental optometrist who deals with integration of input to the central nervous system and synchronizing auditory and visual input. Very high tech stuff and not too many of these folks out in the world. I haven't been around on this site long enough to have "permission" to post URL's but if you Google Developmental Optometry or Mind-Eye Connection, you'll likely find info on this fascinating field. As for results for myself, Dr. Z. and I are still in the tweaking phase of things to get my lenses to direct input exactly where it should be. Quite hopeful, though.

But specifically to answer your question, No, I have not had the experience you have had.

Susan

I do the same thing, especially during long conversations. Thank goodness for subtitles on TV.

Susan-Sounds really interesting! I'll definitely look it up. I love learning new things. Thanks!

I'm kind of late getting into this conversation but this is definitely a problem for me. I will be in a conversation with someone and suddenly it's as if they are speaking gibberish.....I'm unable to process what they're saying. I've always connected to my epilepsy and assumed it was an aura type thing.

Hey cawhitern: not too late--I described it a bit more to the neuro on my last appointment and she said they sound like auras, too. I think I was describing it weirdly to her on my last visit. So I guess I'm have way more Auras than I thought. Sigh...no wonder I can't remember anything!!! :)

My situation may be different. I have a brain lesion, and different "hearing" problems.

I have always been very musical, and at one point was fairly proficient on several instruments at the college level. I sing a cappella in church. However, for all practical purposes I cannot play by ear, and I can't sight sing alone. I can't really memorize music either. I'm pretty sure that my problems are a result of information processing issues. I was diagnosed with information processing issues in regular neuropsychological testing, and figured out the rest. I hear music just fine, but I don't understand what I hear. In other words I experience the sensation accurately. I can play in tune very well in a good group, and can play with subtlety. However, beyond very simple things, I cannot identify the notes or harmonies I hear. I have trouble listening to a melody and singing it back. I can remember all the "ups" and "downs", but get the "distances" wrong. Most people, even if they don't "know" what they are hearing, can repeat melodies and even memorize them very well.

I think there are two reasons for this. First, most people are better at processing information than I am. When I hear the melody, I hear it accurately, but it doesn't "sink in" enough to allow me to recall it accurately. Second, because I'm not processing it enough, including encoding it in my memory, it's very hard to identify a certain interval I hear as a "major 3rd", or "major 6th". (You may not be familiar with the terms, but it's very basic stuff. Most people do it instinctively.)

I figured this out when I was working with an ear training program. I was practicing "intervals", which are two successive notes, or pitches, played one after the other. I found that if I tried to identify intervals only by listening my accuracy was very low. However, If I forced myself to focus on the first note very hard, and then actually sing both notes out loud my accuracy improved tremendously. It took some concentration. By singing the notes I gave my brain the chance to "understand" or "interpret" the sounds I heard. Some things went from impossibly obscure to plainly obvious. I had been hearing everything just fine, but I wasn't internalizing the pitches to the point where I could imagine or sing them easily. There was a disconnect between my hearing (the sensation) and my understanding.

I don't know if this is your problem, but I could see how someone might have a similar problem with language. They might hear the other person talking just fine, but the automatic interpretation of the physical sounds into meaningful words might not take place the way it should. If you were having a simple partial (aura) that part of the brain that interprets language might not be functioning right.

Last edited:
Mathew: You put into words what I was trying to say perfectly! Especially the "sinking in" part. I've read about the info processing disorder before and really thought it fit the bill. My neuro had decided not to send me b/c we though it was really just part of the aura and we would watch if it started to affect me in other areas other than the auras.

Also, my husband is a musician and I have a huge passion for music so my heart goes out to you in hearing about the issue you have in that department :( . But, it sounds as if your accuracy has improved--and if you are now in an a cappella group, it seems as if you've worked hard and come a long way in you journey. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom