Does anyone know about supraventricular tachycardia and seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows about a connection between SVT and seizures. I was having my weirdo night spells (wasn't a full blown seizure) and couldn't sleep because I felt weird with the crossing over to the dead zone feeling, dizzy, shallow breathing, fast pulse..I googled something about laying flat and spells. Well..this supraventricular tachycardia came up. Ironically my friend's aunt was recently dxed with this. She is really young. After reading it..I think this is quite interesting and will follow up with my cardiologist. Too many of the same symptoms and connections.. And I have always had an extremely weird case with my seizures. Does anyone know about this or have this?? Thanks guys!

Michelle

I have MVP and Epilepsy / Neurological disorders;
so I have both a Cardiologist and Neurologist.

A SVT merely is a pulse rate of anywhere from if I
can remember correctly from 140 to about 240 or
250 BPM, and it only lasts for a short moment. I've
had episodes of this myself. It comes and goes, and
with me, one can almost tell when I'm in a seizure
because of it. But I don't know about you; this should
be discussed between your Primary, Neurologist, and
Cardiologist and get down to the bottom line.

I am not a Medical Doctor, but from your posting, if
your Aunt has it and you're having it or experiencing
it - then the chances are it's genetic and you should be
monitored closely.

Thanks Sharon. MVP is Mitral Valve Prolapse, right? I know I do not have that..or at least they checked it in the past and it was fine. It actually is not my Aunt that has it, it is my friend's Aunt. But my sister has a heart anomoly that is really rare as well.
I am going to follow up next week with my Cardio, but I was just wondering if anyone else had that here. It can be quite serious if not treated. I was reading about it last night and alot of it made sense to me. I am not saying I have this..but I am really interested to speak with the Dr. My seizures are so weird, and I've always had so many odd other cardio things. The symptoms are really interesting to me also..with all that I get. I have always felt there was more..

Michelle

Thanks Sharon. MVP is Mitral Valve Prolapse, right?

Michelle

You are absolutely correct, I have MVP with regurgitation.

But Bernard is also correct as well, but I must also add and
imply there is a problematic issue as to "which came first,
the chicken or the egg". Sometimes cardiac issues can result
a lack of blood and oxygen to our brain - and therefore, we
seize. Then it's vice versa - where we have a major seizure,
such as a Tonic Clonic, and do not come out in a timely
fashion were one lapses into a cardiac and/or respiratory
arrest -OR- one ends up into choking/aspiration which can
cut off the circulation altogether. Then there could be a lot
of other things involved on top of that as well, and that's
just the beginning of "painting the canvas"!

In turn which leads to a complicated and complex case
patients to deal with that Physicians must face and deal
with, for such can be life threatening if not closely monitored
and all tests performed and all things under controlled.

Sharon,

I think that is true. I am going to talk to the Dr..I have always felt that there is more to it than just seizures..and I have always been right with my instinct.
It hasn't failed me yet. I am sure you are the same way..you just know yourself better than anyone else. And that really helps with your own health care. Hope you are doing well!

Michelle

stress test

Just (re-) visited my cardiologist today. Didn't say much. He did say my stress test showed problems.
Dang nab it, he didn't say what problems, but I am on meds for asthma. I did see the results from afar, and the trace didn't look normal to me. My resting ekg is normal, but my blood pressure is barely normal.
I'm not on meds, but I am curious as to what I need to do to strengthen my heart, if possible. I do walk at least a quarter mile a day.
Any insight?

I have tachycardia and I was born with a PDA or hole in my hart that had to be repaired with a metal staple/clamp.
I take PRN/as needed Propranolol when my heart goes too fast. I can be almost sleeping and it starts up. Just a few days ago it was at 84 and pounding where I could not sleep. It should be a lot lower if almost asleep. So I've taken Propranolol every night until it gets better. I need to set up a cardiologist soon- I think I'm going to find my old cardiologist I had. That would be nice to continue with the same doctor.
Anyways- I don't know how it connects with my seizures. I know my oxygen gets low during a seizure but I don't know if tachycardia starts up or not. I don't think it does because I don't feel it. Tachycardia makes me short of breath and too much caffine makes it so much worse. It will sometimes go from tachycardia to palpitations or PVCs which is skipping. It feels very uncomfortable. I've gone to ER several times for it and they gave me Ativan to stop my heart from going to fast.

I have to lay off the coffee and chocolate i love so much. I am getting better though hehe.

Take care,
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom