Does anyone know what these EEG results mean?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I picked up my EEG report and want to know what a couple of things mean. It was an abnormal EEG it says due to intermittent right temporal sharp waves (pretty sure I know what that means) but also due to Intermittent bitemporal theta, maximal, right, upon hyperventilation. Any clue what that means? It also says there is there is slowing and attenuation with drowsiness, but doesnt list that necessarily as an abnormality, so I'm not sure if it is. My diagnosis was dysrhythmia grade 3. I get that we are not doctors on here but I've been surprised with the stuff you all know!! Any insight appreciated.

Looks like dysrhythmia has to do with hyperventilation. I don't know the specifics, but it sounds like your epilepsy is likely triggered by hyperventilation. It is probably not limited to hyperventilation, but it triggered an abnormality during your EEG. I THINK the slowing and attenuation with drowsiness may be normal, but I'm not too sure about that.

Hope that helps out a little. Do some googling of the specifics you want to know about and you'd be amazed at what you can just find and read!

It seems more like from the report there were two separate things--intermittent spikes throughout the EEG, and then the hyperventilation-caused theta thingy, and that together, they came to a grade III diagnosis. I wish I had been able to sleep during the test since the main reason i went back to the doctor was problems during sleep! I've been Googling it and have found nothing on theta maximal right. I guess it doesn't matter, in the end, I still have seizures!

I believe you are on the right track. Sorry. I'm dyslexic. Didn't notice that you said the intermittent spikes are NOT during hyperventilation. Things like this happen. :)

Sounds like you're figuring it out. Most of us had to figure a lot of things out on our own. Its hard for a lot of doctors to dumb things down to our levels. :p

yeah mine just said 'you have an abnormal EEG indicating temporal lobe seizures' and I didn't really think of all the questions I would want answers to until later. I'm looking for another neurologist for a second opinion since my current one doesn't seem as interested as I would want him to be in answering questions or getting my seizures under control. he's more of the 'up your meds, see you in 6 months, hope that works out for you" type ;-)

This may help:

There are only three grades of dysrhythmia, and any of the "grades" can be indicative of a seizure disorder, including Grade 1. Though dysrhythmia can be caused by anxiety or other psychological states, the presence of sharp temporal waves in yours is (as you suspect) very suggestive of epilepsy.

Theta waves are associated with the brain during drowsiness or falling asleep. If it shows up in excess, it's considered abnormal and suggestive of epilepsy as well.

"Slowing and attenuation with drowsiness" is a normal finding.

I ask my neuro about the spikes and he said it meant they didn't know where my seizures were coming from. I was wide awake during my EEG the doc that did the EEG didn't want a sleep EEG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom