Does Aspartame really, truly, make a difference?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
There is tons of debate about whether Aspartame is good or bad, and I am well aware of the theory that it is an exitotoxin. What I would love to know is: Have any of you seen real reduction in seizures from quitting it, or increase from using it? There are too many strong opposing viewpoints to ferret through the truth!

I have just recently been reading much news about it and have been cutting back on it. I havnt had a hard time cutting out the diet soda as I stopped drinking it a couple months ago as it taste horrible thanks to Topamax. lol. But all else with aspartame I am not drinking which is VERY hard!!! I thought Id give it a chance though. Let you know in another couple weeks.

Have any of you seen real reduction in seizures from quitting it, or increase from using it? There are too many strong opposing viewpoints to ferret through the truth!

Not for me. And I also have diabetes, so I do watch my diet.

Ha ha, I must be the only person on planet Earth that does not have the 'soda tastes like horse doo" side effect from Topamax!

It's not just a theory -- aspartame IS an excitotoxin. It's the same as aspartic acid which is a neurotransmitter that stimulates the brain. However, like MSG (also a form of excitatory neurotransmitter -- glutamic acid), most people aren't vulnerable. If you have a lowered seizure threshold, then there is potentially a risk.

That said, everyone has different triggers. Some people can't get near caffeine or alcohol. Others have no problem with those things.

For me, aspartame may have played a contributing role in my very first seizures. I had eaten very little in the two days before seizures, mostly consuming diet sodas. Diet sodas are a double-whammy -- the aspartame stimulates the brain, and the phosphorus in them interferes with magnesium absorption. (Magnesium helps protect the brain from aspartame.). But I don't think the aspartame was the only factor -- probably low blood sugar, fatigue, and stress were factors in the "perfect storm" the led to the seizures.

Since then, I've had a few seizures in similar circumstances, where the only thing in my stomach is diet soda. I haven't given sodas up entirely, but now I never have more than one can a day, and I always drink it on a full stomach. I also take a magnesium taurate supplement ahead of time. (Taurine also acts to inhibit neurotransmission).

i kinda have to avoid both to varying degrees, but i really avoid aspartame, and a lot of the stuff, and several fast food places.

Moderation and good old fashion sugar makes for a sexy combo. Artificial sweeteners have a weird chemical taste.

Is splenda different than aspartene. I heard it was but I heard it wasn't too.

Yes Splenda is different -- it's closer to real sugar, being made out of dextrose and maltodextrin. Though there haven't been a ton of studies, it's generally considered safe.

Aw, good. Then there is something safe to put in tea that doesn't have sugar in it. I am trying to use as little calories as possible. I don't use a lot of sweetner though.

Aspartame is unhealthy for everyone, and is really bad news for anyone with neurological issues. Sugar tastes so much better, too.

Yes Splenda is different -- it's closer to real sugar, being made out of dextrose and maltodextrin. Though there haven't been a ton of studies, it's generally considered safe.

So, if Splenda doesn't have aspartame, which artificial sweetner does? Equal?

BTW, I use Sweet N Low sometimes and I've not had any problems..

No Diet Coke for me. Tried drinking it twice and had seizures both times. Was told the aspartame caused them. :(

So, if Splenda doesn't have aspartame, which artificial sweetner does? Equal?BTW, I use Sweet N Low sometimes and I've not had any problems..
Aspartame is sold as NutraSweet, Equal and Sugar Twin. (Sweet N Low doesn't contain aspartame. It's made out of saccharin or sodium cyclamate.)

bringing those up, i think olestra is just as bad to. it is, or was used in low fat stuff chips and stuf. I dont think it is as common as it used to be, because it causes, or caused loose stools, abdominal cramps etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olestra

Aspartame is bad news. Chemically it does weird things to you on a cellular level. But hell, don't listen to me; I even avoid high-fructose corn syrup because i know that blocks your ability to feel 'full' and keep eating more. Remember plain sugar? Its good!

Aspartame is bad news. Chemically it does weird things to you on a cellular level. But hell, don't listen to me; I even avoid high-fructose corn syrup because i know that blocks your ability to feel 'full' and keep eating more. Remember plain sugar? Its good!

I agree. Even sucralose/splenda has moved into the "bad books" based on some research http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262475.php
In my opinion we are far better off eating real food than artificial supplements, and real food that has been unmodified. High-fructose corn syrup is even unnatural: according to wikipedia HFC is corn syrup that has undergone "enzymatic processing" in order to convert glucose into fructose (fructose has a more desirable sweetness than just plain glucose).
The medications we have to take are enough of an insult to our bodies; we don't need any more artificial or chemically modified poisons in our systems!

Have any of you tried stevia? My ex partner used to use it. I never had any though I don't have much of a sweet tooth. You could drink flavored sparkling water instead of soda. Though I would recommend a glass of water with a lemon slice personally. Barring that I will pop open an ice cold beer =).
But yes aspartame is terrible for everyone and is also a recognized carcinogen.

I have seen a HUGE difference. I have almost zero seizures if I don't consume Aspartame, and even drinking one diet soda will increase them a ton. I'd say it would be like my medication only working 60% of the time as opposed to 90% of the time.

I had sugar-free energy drinks before my last two T/C seizures... so I'm guessing aspartame had something to do with that. But then... when I tried to trigger a seizure during my video EEGs, they did nothing for me... and at other times they have done nothing for me. Not even keep me awake :/ So I don't know if it was a coincidence or the aspartame was to blame. Probably the combination of that and the lack of sleep that caused me to drink the drinks... lack of sleep is by far my biggest trigger.

Back
Top Bottom