Does it go away?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seetseet

New
Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but what chances of becoming "un-epileptic".
Ok I know I may sound like total wanker. But this really doesn't fit my lifestyle hahahaha (ok bad joke)
BUT surely there must be someone out there who knows of someone at least right... :)
My neurologist was saying that if I reach 3 years with meds+2years without, I am clear!
So does this exist? Has anyone heard of this?
Thanks ahead of time! :)

seetseet

I do know that there is a chance of a child growing out of E, but an adult I do not know about, it is possible I presume. I know there are people here who went seizure free for a long time even some who went without medication I think, maybe somebody else knows, me personally I do not think an adult can grow out of it, can you control it - yes, can you help with simple changes - yes but growing out of it? Maybe?

seetseet

Sorry cannot remember quite right just at the moment. Different time zones.

Everyone is different when it comes to epilepsy so it is hard to say whether a person will stop having seizures. I don't think you can suddenly just not have epilepsy but you can have good seizure control with the help of meds, surgery, diets etc, although again this isn't the case for everyone.

I had seizures as a baby/toddler, I was seizure free for 21 years but my seizures returned out of the blue when I was 24. After my seizures returned we had a lot of trouble controlling my partials with meds so in the end my neurologist discussed surgery. I had surgery on March 2011, since my surgery I have had good seizure control but sometimes have the odd aura. I don't complain though because these auras dont affect my life & are nothing compared to what some people have to put up with in regards to their epilepsy.

I have not had a "seizure" since 2008. Have had a couple of auras but am otherwise well controlled with 1000 mgs. generic Keppra. Tried a couple of times to stop taking it but did not succeed. Most of us have accepted that this is what we have to deal with.
Look at those people that are diabetic, high bp. Everyone has something they have to deal with.
Good Luck!
M

Look at those people that are diabetic, high bp. Everyone has something they have to deal with.

Yep, we all have things to deal! I'm one that has E + Diabetes. Unfortunately, my epilepsy is here to stay after suffering with it for over 30+ years and trying numerous meds, brain surgery and now the VNS. Like others have said, one can get control if you find the right medication. More than likely, epilepsy will not just "go away" on it's own.

BTW, my seizure-free record was 14 months after my lobectomy. Then they came back with vengeance.

Last edited:
As noted above, it's different for each person, and can depend on things like age of diagnosis and how promptly treatment occurs, how well the seizures respond to medication, kind and duration of seizures, and cause (if known).

Though I've had good luck being seizure-free on medication, when I've gone off meds, the seizures have returned. I've now been seizure-free on meds for 6 years, but a recent EEG is still showing abnormal brain activity, so it seems likely that I'll need to stay medicated to stay safe.

This CWE thread might be of interest:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/no-meds-seizure-remission-10685/

Cmon guys!! What is everyones "record" period?

Since my RTLS back in May, I reached 6 months seizure free on Nov 13th.

The only seizure activity I had after surgery as a few "auras". But that was before I was
healed from surgery. Once my body was physically healed, nothing. :)

I'm hoping that this "record" will become my way of life. :)

Does it go away?

It's known that some children may grow out of if. I have a couple male family members (one older, one younger) that have had seizures. They apparently grew out of it. The older one AFAIK doesn't take anything for seizures. The younger one did take AEDs for a short time. But has been taken off them. So far so good. But this one does take medicine for ADHD.

Haha ok looks like I am just waiting for that magical anti-epilepsy fairy to turn up hey?

Since my RTLS back in May, I reached 6 months seizure free on Nov 13th.

The only seizure activity I had after surgery as a few "auras". But that was before I was
healed from surgery. Once my body was physically healed, nothing. :)

I'm hoping that this "record" will become my way of life. :)

I was seizure-free for 14 months after my surgery. I wouldn't dare say I was "seizure-free" until two years had passed. After surgery, they usually wait until two years before saying a person will become "seizure-free". Saying you are "healed" already is speaking a bit too soon. Let's hope you remain seizure-free, but please don't mislead others.

Last edited:
I was seizure-free for 14 months after my surgery. I wouldn't dare say I was "seizure-free" until two years had passed. After surgery, they usually wait until two years before saying a person will become "seizure-free". Saying you are "healed" already is speaking a bit too soon. Let's hope you remain seizure-free, but please don't mislead others.

You misread my post. "Healed" from the physical surgery, not from the seizures.

I wouldn't consider myself seizure-free until after two years of no seizure activity.

You misread my post. "Healed" from the physical surgery, not from the seizures.

I wouldn't consider myself seizure-free until after two years of no seizure activity.

:ponder: Sorry......... Please forgive me.

I was seizure free on meds for about 3 years but this year I had a break through seizure. I think once it starts you are more likely to have another than not.

Last edited:
you'll always have epilepsy there isn't a cure for it.

If your an adult you'll always have epilepsy controlled or not.

There isn't a cure.There are still things you can't do if you've ever had a seizure.

You can't get a license to fly or drive a commercial lic to drive drunks.

not a commercial license if you have epilepsy.
my DH hasn't had a sz since 1972 he couldn't get either one.:e::twocents:

Last edited:
I know in Australia you can drive if you haven't had a seizure for 6 months (at least in Queensland that is)
Exciting stuff :)

Hey is that "driving drunks" like taxi service type thing over there?

Back
Top Bottom