Does this happen to you?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've spent a few days trying to figure out how to phrase this. This will be my third or fourth attempt to ask this question.
Every couple of months, I have an "episode", it usually starts with me feeling claustrophobic, scared, disoriented, lost. I feel like I'm a child of 3 or 4. I lose the ability to communicate verbally for a couple of minutes. I don't like to be touched and have gotten violent in the past, and yet will cling to certain "safe" people. Again the best analogy I can give is a that of a young child in a crowded room. The feelings last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.
Even as I'm typing this I think it sounds like I'm crazy, but better to ask and know than wonder and drive yourself there anyway.

It sounds a bit like a panic attack, but there are some seizure types that can mimic them. My partner has had similar "episodes" in the past, with the inability to speak and lashing out at people who touch him.

And you, my dear, are most certainly NOT crazy.

first and foremost, you are NOT crazy

Secondly, Occb might be right. its either a panix/anxiety attack or maybe a seizure. I'm leaning more towards complex partials. as you still remain semi aware during these ones. at least I do. I can tell sometimes that I get tunnel vison, things warp, words i can't read or understand when someone talks, and I can't talk either. it sometimes feels like i'm swimming under water, and I move my arms around like I am swimming.

YES!!! Well, a lot of that. We call it my "Spells"

My neuro and I have had many problems "diagnosing" them as stress/lack of sleep tend to increase them. But so does eating sometimes, never paid attention if it is a certain food or whatever. It brings on a sense of de-javu(sp) first and foremost. But it happens whenever it wants. I take Diazapam which helps often but not all the time.

Mine don't seem to last as long as your's but I've had them for so long I may not even pay attention to the duration. Unless they are real strong ones, I don't even bother with the diazapam anymore.

Personally I don't think it is entirely anxiety/panic for me. But the similarities between your description and what I feel are so very similar.

first and foremost, you are NOT crazy

Well I am crazy but in my own happy way!

Thanks all!
I haven't even brought these up to my neuro yet cuz dealing with my T/C's has been "fun" enough. Nothing ever shows on any of my scans, tests, blood work, etc... I am afraid that he's gonna start saying what the other 3 md's went on with "it all in in your head" (NO SH!T SHERLOCK) Its like if you present them with to many symptoms they don't want to deal withthe workload!
Sorry to put it this way ForeverDark, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Its like if you present them with to many symptoms they don't want to deal withthe workload!
I've said here before and I'll say it again, YOU are the boss of the Dr.'s. If they don't want to help you or you feel they aren't giving you the care you deserve than tell them or find a new one :D

Sorry to put it this way ForeverDark, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!

No, I should say thank you to YOU!! I've brought this up here before as well, and I honestly don't remember anyone else mentioning having episodes such as these. If someone has, I apologize for not remembering. I don't care if they turn out to be anxiety/stress or a seizure of some sort. I just want to know for sure :D

I've said here before and I'll say it again, YOU are the boss of the Dr.'s. If they don't want to help you or you feel they aren't giving you the care you deserve than tell them or find a new one :D

I know that that's the way its supposed to work, but there is such a shortage of doctors here that is your lucky enough to have one you hang on for dear life! Haven't had a family doctor in years, nevermind a physical. You only go into a clinic when something is really wrong! My neuro's office is only seeing patients on an emergency basis due to in hospital infections. Its more dangerous to go see your MD than it is to wait it out and hope for the best is some cases!

Back
Top Bottom