Does heat affect E for you

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trinity

New
Reaction score
I have been feeling 'off' this past month. I've had headaches and i've had some strange sensations which i'm not sure if they may be SPS but i'll speak with my neurologist about it on Monday. Right now we are experiencing a heatwave here and heat has always affected me but i'm wondering if it can affect E and and if it can do any of you have that experience.

For me extreme heat does increase the likelihood of a seizure, especially if it's particularly humid.

I've found that if I get headaches when it's hot it's often because I'm not drinking enough water though.

A neurologist did tell me that usually, if a headache is a neural headache it is a constant pressure, not a throbbing type of headache.

when i get overheated i get crazy amount of seizures. i have all different ones but when i overheated after shovelling snow, i must have had over 200 myo in an hour, it was crazy. make sure you drink water and a cool towel on the back of the neck helps

they do for my wife as well. We have to make sure where ever we live has adequate A/C. I'm currently stationed in Oklahoma City right now. The house we live in on Tinker AFB does have A/C in the houses, but since military house is getting "privatized" the power will be coming from the local electricity monopoly. We are in the process of looking to purchase a house. The first thing that is going in, is a standby generator to make sure the A/C doesn't fail.

Heat is very bad for my seizures. From 1994-1999 I only had seizures when taking a warm or hot shower, known as hot water epilepsy, a form of reflex epilepsy.

When the temperature gets above 67f degrees, I start to get hot and I start wearing shorts, above 70 I have to turn on the A/C.
When I get hot I start having more headaches and more seizures, I also get very irritable.:mad:

Heat can make my seizures worse.

But I have a hard time explaining this - I was in rural SE Asia, 98 degree heat, 92 percent humidity, and I think my seizures were actually better. This is a sheer guess on my part, because it was immediately before my diagnosis of TLE.

Over there I was drinking water like crazy, there were fewer of my seizure triggers, and frankly, if I had a seizure I wouldn't know it sometimes. I mean, if I didn't recognize where I was (Jaimas Vu), I always considered that normal. I was traveling. If I smelled some really weird stuff, I figured it was because I was around some pretty weird stuff. If I blanked out on time, well, my sense of time was different over there anyway, and no one there would have told me if I was saying or doing weird stuff (complex partial).

I guess what I'm trying to say is in the U.S. my seizures were freaking me out. I knew something was wrong but didn't know why. Over there, it just kind of blended into the experience, hot weather and all. It made me a much more relaxed person to be over there. So yes, it was hot. Sauna hot. Did it make my seizures worse? Who knows.

I have never had any issues with heat. Always watch your electrolytes.

i notice when it gets hot out i start twitching or start feeling weird. i hate it, its like i need an AC with me no matter where i go. =-p ahh i couldnt imagine having a seizure while taken a shower or in the tub ekk sorry for those who have that happen.

Back
Top Bottom