does sleep deprivation always cause seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I certainly wouldn't say "always". For some it can be the tipping point.
I also have seen with my daughter that the triggers can be accumulated over time. They can build up. So if you are not eating well, if you happen to have too much stress, and THEN don't get adequate sleep... then ZAP you might be more likely to have a seizure.

Have you kept a journal of your days activities and your seizures? Do you see a connection? Perhaps you need to do more to lower your threshold overall.

i was just asking this because i has a sleep deprived eeg done and it didnt trigger a seizure so i thought that maybe i didnt have epilepsy and it was something else causein the seizures instead??

Epilepsy is just a label for anyone that has had more than two seizures. To me it is a stupid label. For some reason when you get that label all searching for the reason you have seizures stops.

Of course there is a reason you are having seizure. Unfortunately, for the most part, you have to be your own advocate to find out why. Some can be helped with nutritional changes, some can be helped with simple vitamins and minerals, some can be helped with neurofeedback. Some people have had injuries where medication or surgery is the only answer. But those should be the last resort in my mind. That is my opinion.

i dont have a diagnosis of epilepsy, and i would like it to stay that way hopefully. but i would like some form of a diagnosis that why i am asking the question about the sleep deprivation thing, because i thought that maybe sleep deprivation always triggers abnormal brain activity in people with epilepsy.

I think my answer would still be have to be NOT always. That is why it is so difficult to capture on VEEG. I was told that everyone is l<------------------->l close to having a seizure. It just depends on the triggers. Then I have come to understand the the brain then can learn to manage your stresses in a similar manner which is called kindling. You can retrain your brain through neurofeedback to stop the brain from sending the abnormal brain waves. Utilizing the entire brain in a different way. In essence exercising those muscles that were being lazy. Making the brain distribute the work.

I wouldn't say it does. I can get by with 4 hrs sleep get up end up back on the computer because I can't sleep. But than I sleep another 2-3 hrs take a nap during the day if I'm able.

Belinda:banana::noevil::pfft:

When my daughter had a sleep deprived EEG, she did not have a seizure. Her EEG also did not show anything abnormal and yet she was diagnosed with Epilepsy.

Your EEG doesn't have to show anything abnormal for you to have epilepsy.
You can have a normal EEG.
You just don't have any seizure activity at that time.

Belinda:e::banana:

Sleep deprivation never bothered me a bit no matter how many times they tried it for EEGs. So when I went into hospital for VEEGs they didn't even mention it. For the VEES they just remove my meds and make me TIRED - physically tired - worn out - and I have the CPs right on schedule - lol.

Sleep deprivation always causes me to have a seizure. It's bad enough to have sleep apnea. It's also bad enough to have epilepsy. I hope everyone can get a good night's sleep.

The answer is

that it depends on the person.......for some people it does, and some people it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom