Double Vision

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I get double vision about once a month. It will last at least a half an hour, but I'll usually just have to sit my eyes closed for a long time, sometimes falling asleep, then it will be gone.

I went to an eye dr and he said that there isn't anything to do for it because ist wasn't a constant thing and he really doesn't know what was causing it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Hi valeriedl,

I get double vision as well at different times...and have been researching it with no results. I am wondering if my seizures and weird episodes are related to my hormones because I seem to get Seizure symtoms around that time of the month. It's really annoying when I get double vision at work and mine lasts for about 20 minutes and then i get a weird head. I also wondered if it was a type of migraine or epilepsy. When I cover one eye at a time I can see fine but with two eyes it's like one is pulling to cross over like you are cross eyed looking at your nose but they are stuck that way. I have experienced absence seizures at work before and noctural seizures and have experienced this eye thing before and after as well but I am not sure why it happens. I have also had auras from migraines where my eye sight is fuzzy and patchy, I actually feel blinded by them or the best I can describe it is like looking at heat coming from an airplace. But I just close my eyes and relax for 20 minutes and then I get a headache. But this eye thing is strange and new to me and the last time I had it was before/after a seizure...and I get a sore head after that as well. I am taking lamotrigne now so i guess it is helping whatever is going on with me. Who knows. I just wish i didn't get any weird sensations. I am the only one in my family that goes through this kind of stuff, it's irritating and frustrating and makes you feel like you have something else wrong with you. I have to go see the neurologist in January. I am hoping to get my license back after a big seizure in August and although I never had any "seizures" since, I have had some symptoms like a head rush while sitting like I felt something was going to happen but didn't, double vision etc. So...not sure what he is going to say about that.

had seizures for years and most of the problems I had with double vision, blurry vision was a side affect of the meds I was on

I agree with Stormydys, blurred vision from taking the meds- I now have to wear glasses on top of my contacts!

Nick
xx

NIcholasscott21 and stormydys - do you have the double vision all the time or just from time to time?

I don't think that I've ever gotten any type of headache after having it. I'll just sit down with my eyes closed for how ever long because I can't really see straight to be up and walking around.

It's coming on right now, I've got to close one eye to see the screen normally. I know I'm not having a seizure or that one is coming on because what I would be typing would just be letters on the screen looking like a 2 year old started typing on the computer.

I think the last time it happened was a little over a week ago.

This is really annoying!!!! :mad:

For me... I don't think it is meds because I started having crossed eyes before I first started to have seizures just a year ago. Although I am new to epilespy I have had seizure symptoms in the past but every time I went to the hospital when I thought something odd was happening to me when i felt unplugged they said it was anxiety or stress so I just dealt with it and took time off to recover even though I knew something wasn't right with my brain. I ended up in emergency after having a few more seizures with the last seizure not waking up until the next day and that's when I was tested for epilepsy and had tests confirming what I thought could be possible as I was having absense seizures, getting crossed eyes, head pressure and biting my tongue during grand mal noctural seizures that my husband told me about. So that's why I don't think it was the meds. Maybe my stress threshold is just low and this is a warning sign.

valeriedl
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

NIcholasscott21 and stormydys - do you have the double vision all the time or just from time to time?

Hi, I have double visions after taking my meds at night and in the morning, but blurred vision most of the time

:)

I have double vision occ. It always happens when I take thyroid med or hormones. It feels like my eyes are crossed but they are not. If I cover one
eye I can see. It last for a few min & I usually have a headache after. Someone told me this happens because one pupil dilates & the other doesn't. I'm not sure that is true.

Rebecca had vision problems when she was on Tegretol.
She also was having a sugar imbalance (which wasn't found for years after her first seizure) and I think the toxic load was too much for her organs. That's my motherly diagnosis.

I started getting double vision after I began taking Lamictal. I found out that it was caused by the combination of Lamictal with Tegretol. It got worse when my dosage of Lamictal was increased. Now I have to make sure to take my meds with food (and with a meal, not just a snack) or I'll get double vision. If I still get double vision, sometimes if I regulate my breathing or drink A LOT of water or take a nap, my vision goes back to normal more quickly than it would if I didn't do anything about it.
It's so annoying.

I take both Lamictal and Tegretol. I usually don't eat much food when I take them. I'll try doing that and see if it helps. Thanks!

Nich, you must have a Third Eye!

Hi, Valerie,

I have vision that is very blurry around the edges, and sometimes double vision. There are a few culprits that could be causing it. One is the meds (Lamictal, Diamox). Another is migraine. The third is the raised intracranial pressure in my head. So who knows. Sometimes I worry about whether it is temporary or permanent.

One thing I want to strongly suggest is to get your eyes checked by an Opthamologist (MD), not just an optometrist (OD). He'll run a more complete set of tests. You need to make sure none of the nerves in your eyes are swollen or other assorted eye problems. If you have medical insurance it should cover most of the visit and tests (but check with yours).

Please take care of yourself. Your eyesight is important. Once it's gone you can't replace it.

I did see an MD. They did a good bit of tests but didn't find anything wrong. He told me if it gets worse and happens more often to let him know.

It's a side effect of the meds I'm taking -- Lamictal. I'm on a dosage of four in the morning and evening. For the love of god do not take over your prescribed amount or you will be stuck with those side effects for a handful of hours, vomit consistently, and your coordination skills will be hellish. That's the worst case scenario. I would know because I took two of my dosages at once to make up for a missed one prior. Then again it may effect you differently. I wouldn't want to test that however.

I do not have epilepsy but I get double vision. It really scares me when I get it. If I cover up 1 eye I see just fine when I have these episodes. If I stand up I am really wobbly and have to hold onto something so I dont fall over.
I did go to the eye dr and he doesnt know why this happens. Todays lasted for about 5 minutes - the longest so far. I dont know if my eyes are tired or if I have a sugar problem as I did eat something sweet prior to this. The time before this was 3 days before. I just stay still and try and close my eyes unitl it passes. Any advise, help or suggestions would be appreciated

Hi BrendaC --

I recommend you let your regular doctor know about your vision problems. Sometimes they can be related to other health issues like diabetes, or cardiovascular problems.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom