Dr. appt. was today. Lamictal?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hey Lou

Lou, I'm sorry to hear your having a rough time. I started the Lamictal yesterday along with Topamax and I feel so sleepy although the side-effects of the Lamictal are not supposed to be drowsiness. I was not aware about the hair thing. GREAT!!! Just what we need. Feel better Lou. Cake.

The Lamictal works pretty good for me as a base drug - I like a mixed cocktail thank you very much. I am on 600mg. I sleep better on this than on Tegretol. My hair did thin a little. The dry mouth is fierce for me though. The more I drink the worse it gets, and I try to drink a lot because I don't want kidney stones from my Zonegran. And I can't remember much. But I have been on so many meds that I don't know that that can be attributable to the Lamictal. I lost a lot of weight on Lamictal as opposed to Tegretol. Oh, and, Um, at first, at least until your body adjusts, you might be a little less interested in any SO you happen to have in your life. That is a possible side effect. At first DH thought that might be a good thing, but then he changed his mind. (TMI?) That side effect pretty much went away once my body adjusted though. Hope we haven't scared you too bad - it really is one of the easier drugs to deal with, imo.

Yeah Aubrey I can relate... Lamictal is one of the better ones. The main side effect for me is fatigue, but at least it helps me sleep well. It didn't cloud my brain like Tegretol. I went up a whole grade point in university when I switched over to Lamictal. I started on 400 mg/day and now I'm up to 550.

Dry mouth is sure a pain, I drink a ton of water.

I've been taking lamictal for almost two months - it's my first med for seizures. I started on 25 mg every other day and am now up to 125 mg. I haven't had any seizures, so that's good but I do sometimes feel tired and I have blurred vision that I notice when I read. Also, I have a tenderness on the roof of my mouth and behind my lower lip, inside my mouth. which is uncomfortable and gets worse every time I increase my dose. But that's all as far as side effects and I'm hoping that it'll all go away in time, or when my does stops increasing. In general, I'm pleased with lamictal.

Back
Top Bottom