Drivers License

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
About 2 weeks after being diagnosed with epilepsy my license was put on medical suspension. Mind you i live in CA so its law for the dr to let the DMV know about my condition. Well i was just wondering who else has lost their license and out of those people...did you ever get it back and how?

I've had my license for 4 years before they took it away. No accidents or tickets PERFECT driving record.

should i continue hoping to get it back or should i just give up? (ive changed meds 3 times, been seizure free for about 4.5 months)

thanks!

ELF

license

Know how your feeling it sucks I know not being able to drive I actually wasn't driving when I found out that I was having seizures before that same as you was driving around no problems however after someone witnessed me seize it was a personal decison with my family that I not drive just incase I would happen to seize behind the wheel but even though I did that voluntarly anytime someone comes into the ER with a seizure we are mandated to report it to the DMV and if it somehow slips by and dosn't get reported by ER the neuro dr will report it to the DMV now laws are differnet in every state but normally my experience here is if you are seizure free for 6 months you can get it back along with ok from dr as well hope this helps

I've never had one & I probably never will.

My personal opinion is that you should not place too much expectation on getting your license back. When you do that your happiness depends too much on whether you get it back or not.

I've also found that by not expecting a license I've learned how to be independent without a vehicle. I'd say Jump through the hoops you need to to get your license back if you feel you can drive safely but don't let your happiness depend on whether or not you get it.

licence

definetly agree with above you see so many posts on here of people that have gotten there licence back and then had a seizure behind the wheel after dr so called said they were ok to drive in my opinion even if I am well controlled on meds enough so that the dr. say I can drive I would still be very cautious and only drive short periods of time in such also do u get any aura or warning before you have a seizure that could allow you time to pull over trust me I know it sucks to not be able to just get in a car and say drive to the gas station for a moment it's simple things like that u miss most just a simple errend that needs ran has to go through so many hoops to get done

I do not get any warning before a seizure they just occur. In the 4 years of me driving (ive had seizures for going on 17 years now) ive had about 3 seizures while driving.
I am not letting my happiness be determined by the ability of getting my license back or not, but it sure does make me feel better knowing there is a chance i will get it back. I got a new car for my birthday and then about 6 months later i lost the ability to use it :( She sits in the driveway and i see her everyday
I have been able to rely on family friends and the bus for transportation, but it makes me feel like im loosing my independence by not having full independence. I really hate relying on other people for things, specially when it comes to doing things and going places
:(

My husband lost his licence when he was 18 but got it back when he was 22 and has kept it ever since. There is very strict criteria for epileptics to hold a drivers licence in NZ but he fit the criteria so was quite lucky I guess.

Congrats to your husband :) hopefully his epilepsy is going as well as the luck.

what types of seizures does he have?

I got my driving license taken away and got a free bus pass instead.

It was only a learners license and i'd never taken any lessons :ponder:

Sucks that i lost it just as i finally got enough money together to take lessons though :clap:

I do not get any warning before a seizure they just occur. In the 4 years of me driving (ive had seizures for going on 17 years now) ive had about 3 seizures while driving.

If you're not getting a warning before the seizures, then you should not be driving, IMO. If you've already had 3 seizures while driving, why are you still driving? Just remember the other people who could be injured if an accident were to happen if you had a seizure while driving.

I have been able to rely on family friends and the bus for transportation, but it makes me feel like im loosing my independence by not having full independence. I really hate relying on other people for things, specially when it comes to doing things and going places

You still have plenty to offer. There is more to life than just going places and doing things. I could not drive for years because of seizures, but still had a life.

I'm not driving anymore, i lost my license im just hoping to get it back soon. and yes i know i can still be independent without having a license/having a bus pass but where i live the bus is not something that is dependable at all, plus the areas it goes to doesn't make it easier...just harder

Congrats to your husband :) hopefully his epilepsy is going as well as the luck.

what types of seizures does he have?

Grand Mal Seizures but he always has a very noticeable aura well before hand and he has sleep seizures which are the 2 main criteria you have to meet to be able to retain a drivers license here in New Zealand. He has 6 mthly MRI scans and monitoring and requires medical clearance from a neurosurgeon/neurologist each time.

He had 3 seizures last Sunday, each one about 2 hours apart so not so great. He usually won't drive for a few weeks after he has had a seizure so I am driving him everywhere at the moment. Right now the seizures are all over the place- he really feels (and always has) that the meds don't work. We have found a new surgeon who has agreed to re-look at operating to try and 'fix' the epilepsy. We'll see...

wow, a bus or a bart pass would be nice once they take your dl out here.
I miss my dl but I try not to worry about it too much. I still have my bicycle

Back
Top Bottom