Ecstacy, LSD, Meth, Cocaine, etc. and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janellie8

New
Reaction score
Hi guys!!!
I am an artist. And what I want to do is get on a drug such as, weed, cocaine, ecstasy etc., and create art while I am on the drug! I want to see if the drug alters my artistic ability and perception. I did weed the other day and created a piece of art work (I have nocturnal seizures, and that night I had no seizures!). Marijuana helped me with my epilepsy. But drugs like LSD, cocaine, meth and other drugs like that, will there be any effects towards my epilepsy? Have you guys tried any of these kinds of drugs and if so, was there any effect towards your epilepsy? Should I not continue with this personal art project? :ponder:

Janellie

PCP & Meth --> http://item.liveleak.com/2/view?i=748_1390107228&comments=1
Cocaine can cause seizures that lead to a "bizarre violence".
LSD has been known to lead to seizures.
In high doses ecstasy can cause seizures and vomiting. The symptoms of overdose include a sharp rise in body temperature and blood pressure, dizziness, cramps, heart palpitations and vomiting. People with certain disorders – such as epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease or mood or psychiatric disorders – are at greater risk of harm if they take ecstasy.

Think very hard about your future, because along with these things, there are legal issues you can come across as well.

These drugs can cause health issues - and death - even if you don't have any kind of known medical condition. There are a lot of healthier and far safer ways to tap into one's creative side and become inspired: meditation, going to art shows and poetry readings, visit an art gallery . . .

Ecstacy Meth & Cocaine are all associated with causing seizures and various neurological issues.

I would suggest avoiding LSD as well though. It can worsen seizures as I've seen happen when I was younger.

That's not smart at all, Janellie, even if you DIDN"T have epilepsy it would not be smart. I have never done any of those drugs myself, but having grown up in the 60s I know a lot about what can potentially happen when you take LSD. There can be permanent damage done from even one use. Please don't even think of doing any of those drugs, with, I suppose, the possible exception of marijuana. Stay away from the hard stuff!!

Hi guys!!!
I am an artist. And what I want to do is get on a drug such as, weed, cocaine, ecstasy etc., and create art while I am on the drug! I want to see if the drug alters my artistic ability and perception.

I will have to say that your perceptions are altered on such drugs, especially psychedelics but there are things to remember- first off, changing perception does not mean more artistic. Remember that. You may just end up feeling alone because nobody has seen your "reality" that you cannot express. Also, there is the burn-out issue which happens very quickly. In high school I new someone who liked LSD. I know he did it more than just once in a while but very quickly when I ran into him after high school he had transgressed into the most unhappy & paranoid (& possibly violent) individual I'd ever seen.

Also remember that speed & coke are associated with extreme anxiety, paranoia & violence. I've seen that first hand and even when I was curious as a kid would never go near it after seeing how it effected people.

Yes, my experience with LSD is quite the opposite of creativity. I am not saying that that will necessarily be your case. I am a creative artist and the many mind altering drugs i used in the past made my work shit. And now, with seizures i would never do it.

PCP & Meth --> http://item.liveleak.com/2/view?i=748_1390107228&comments=1
Cocaine can cause seizures that lead to a "bizarre violence".
LSD has been known to lead to seizures.
In high doses ecstasy can cause seizures and vomiting. The symptoms of overdose include a sharp rise in body temperature and blood pressure, dizziness, cramps, heart palpitations and vomiting. People with certain disorders – such as epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease or mood or psychiatric disorders – are at greater risk of harm if they take ecstasy.

Think very hard about your future, because along with these things, there are legal issues you can come across as well.

Wow. That video was pretty intense and scary :( Yes!! I will think hard about what I am going to do. Thank you very much:clap:

That's not smart at all, Janellie, even if you DIDN"T have epilepsy it would not be smart. I have never done any of those drugs myself, but having grown up in the 60s I know a lot about what can potentially happen when you take LSD. There can be permanent damage done from even one use. Please don't even think of doing any of those drugs, with, I suppose, the possible exception of marijuana. Stay away from the hard stuff!!

Thanks arnie!
I am actually re-thinking about what I am going to do. I don't want my epilepsy to get worse :( Thanks! Some people are telling me that I should do it and then there are the people like you and a few others who are telling me not to- It is always good to hear the two sides of situations.

Janellie

Yes, my experience with LSD is quite the opposite of creativity. I am not saying that that will necessarily be your case. I am a creative artist and the many mind altering drugs i used in the past made my work shit. And now, with seizures i would never do it.

Honestly, I was mostly excited for LSD. Thanks for your opinion- when you say that you would never do LSD with seizures, that really means something.

Janellie

I will have to say that your perceptions are altered on such drugs, especially psychedelics but there are things to remember- first off, changing perception does not mean more artistic. Remember that. You may just end up feeling alone because nobody has seen your "reality" that you cannot express. Also, there is the burn-out issue which happens very quickly. In high school I new someone who liked LSD. I know he did it more than just once in a while but very quickly when I ran into him after high school he had transgressed into the most unhappy & paranoid (& possibly violent) individual I'd ever seen.

Also remember that speed & coke are associated with extreme anxiety, paranoia & violence. I've seen that first hand and even when I was curious as a kid would never go near it after seeing how it effected people.

That is true- changing perception does not mean more artistic, but it could lead to something else, something more interesting and different. See the thing is, I wouldn't do the drug everyday or every week. It is just a one time thing. But I do understand the risks you have presented me with, thanks :)

Janellie

Just my opinion, but I think it is a very bad idea. Probably the pot won't hurt to much (everyone is different though) but I wouldn't mess around with the rest of them. I'm not a prude, I used some of those when I was younger but wouldn't even consider it today.

Janellie8, I used to do lots of these when I was younger, and I didn't stop for quite a few years after I was diagnosed. I'm not proud of that, and a lot of people on here probably don't like me for it, but there you go.

I know 2 people who's epilepsy was caused by shrooms, ie they had their first seizure a few hours after taking it.

I used to have seizures on peaking and coming down on ecstasy and speed.

I've never had any on *clean* coke, but since it's almost impossible to get it clean these days, and is usually cut with speed that's a no-no too. Besides, coke turns you into a selfish, arrogant *dick* I can't see what benefit that would bring to your art.

I've also been lucky not to have any on acid either- but that doesn't mean you wouldn't. Although I've done loads of trips, I certainly wouldn't want to come round from a t-c whilst tripping balls. I'm not exaggerating when I say that could seriously cause some real nasty post-ictal psychosis, and possibly permanent mental damage.

You don't have to be a neurologist to understand how drugs like this could cause serious harm to you with epilepsy.

Please don't compare them to MJ, they're a whole different world.

I understand your desire to explore new influences for your art, but as Janus said- most artists that go down that route, their work turns crap or they just stop doing it so they can take more drugs.

It took me over a decade to get out of that life, and I'm still not 100% 'clean' all these years after.

Hi strength MJ can have just as much damage to the mind over mid-long term usage, and I've been totally addicted to it since I first got into it when i was 16. I've barely been able to go a few weeks without it, and it's caused me some very long 2 week post-ictal psychosis events that earned me a stay in an institution.

Don't believe the hype.

Thanks arnie!
I am actually re-thinking about what I am going to do. I don't want my epilepsy to get worse :( Thanks! Some people are telling me that I should do it and then there are the people like you and a few others who are telling me not to- It is always good to hear the two sides of situations.

Janellie

Do the people telling you to try it have seizures? If not, they don't have a clue what seizures are really all about.

I guess I am astonished that you even have to ask this question.

Do the people telling you to try it have seizures? If not, they don't have a clue what seizures are really all about.

:agree: It's better to be safe than sorry so don't you think it's wise to listen to those who've been there and done that? And you need to consider the drug interactions between the AEDs and these other drugs.

Here is more info on the use of cocaine, ecstasy/drugs and seizures:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/triggers-seizures/drug-abuse

Cocaine

All forms of cocaine use can cause seizures within seconds, minutes, or hours after it is taken. Seizures caused by cocaine are uniquely dangerous and may be associated with heart attacks, disrupting the heart's normal rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia), and death. They can even occur in someone who has never had a seizure before. If you have epilepsy, you definitely should avoid cocaine.

Amphetamines and other stimulants

Amphetamines are brain stimulants. When used under a doctor's supervision, amphetamines or other stimulants do not seem to increase the risk of seizures in people with epilepsy. However, there are a few exceptions.
If you abuse amphetamines or related drugs like "Ecstasy" (MDMA), you can experience sleep deprivation, confusion, or major psychiatric disorders. When this happens, you are very likely to forget your seizure medicine, which can also trigger seizures.

Some researchers have also found long-lasting damage to the brain from the use of some types of stimulants. Very high doses of amphetamines can cause severe tonic-clonic seizures, heart attacks, and death.

Should I not continue with this personal art project? :ponder:

Janellie

No you should not!

I dabbled in all those things when I was in my late teens. I wasn't having seizures back then, but it could possibly have contributed to my diagnosis 20 yrs later.

I will say I do use marijuana recreationally on occasion and still have zero creativity. :p. If it worked for you as far as being creative, and most importantly, kept your seizures away then I'd stick with it. Those other drugs just aren't worth it. Please be careful.

Back
Top Bottom