Ecstacy, LSD, Meth, Cocaine, etc. and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Apart from what's been said about the drugs' effects themselves:

It'd be an interesting project if it hadn't been done before. I'm sure you've seen the spider webs woven by spiders on various drugs? Well, that was followed by a famous artist who did a very prominent series of portraits on different drugs. It went viral. Better to think of something original, I think.

Janellie8, I used to do lots of these when I was younger, and I didn't stop for quite a few years after I was diagnosed. I'm not proud of that, and a lot of people on here probably don't like me for it, but there you go.

I know 2 people who's epilepsy was caused by shrooms, ie they had their first seizure a few hours after taking it.

I used to have seizures on peaking and coming down on ecstasy and speed.

I've never had any on *clean* coke, but since it's almost impossible to get it clean these days, and is usually cut with speed that's a no-no too. Besides, coke turns you into a selfish, arrogant *dick* I can't see what benefit that would bring to your art.

I've also been lucky not to have any on acid either- but that doesn't mean you wouldn't. Although I've done loads of trips, I certainly wouldn't want to come round from a t-c whilst tripping balls. I'm not exaggerating when I say that could seriously cause some real nasty post-ictal psychosis, and possibly permanent mental damage.

You don't have to be a neurologist to understand how drugs like this could cause serious harm to you with epilepsy.

Please don't compare them to MJ, they're a whole different world.

I understand your desire to explore new influences for your art, but as Janus said- most artists that go down that route, their work turns crap or they just stop doing it so they can take more drugs.

It took me over a decade to get out of that life, and I'm still not 100% 'clean' all these years after.

Hi strength MJ can have just as much damage to the mind over mid-long term usage, and I've been totally addicted to it since I first got into it when i was 16. I've barely been able to go a few weeks without it, and it's caused me some very long 2 week post-ictal psychosis events that earned me a stay in an institution.

Don't believe the hype.

Wow. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences, I don't judge. Your words really mean something to me. I am not just going to read your post and forget- this is real, your experiences are real and thanks for the advice/wise words/personal thoughts. :) Just a question here, weren't you scared when you had these seizures while you were peaking and coming down on ecstasy and speed? I would have been so scared and panicked :(

Janellie

Do the people telling you to try it have seizures? If not, they don't have a clue what seizures are really all about.

That's true. They don't have epilepsy. And they don't understand. They just think the idea is cool. Of course the people telling me that this is okay are young people. I am sure they haven't thought about the risks or anything like that, just that the idea of doing drugs is cool. But I don't want to do this to be cool. I want to see if there are any alters in my artistic ability. I am having second thoughts about using the hard stuff.

Thanks,
Janellie

Apart from what's been said about the drugs' effects themselves:

It'd be an interesting project if it hadn't been done before. I'm sure you've seen the spider webs woven by spiders on various drugs? Well, that was followed by a famous artist who did a very prominent series of portraits on different drugs. It went viral. Better to think of something original, I think.

Yes it has been done before! I am not a trendsetter, I am following this "trend." I want to experience what this other artist has experienced. But you have got me thinking about originality...

Thanks,
Janellie

The first few times, a bit scared- but I'd been doing them a good few years by that point, and usually I was too mashed to think straight anyway. More annoyed that I wouldn't be doing the handful of other pills in my pocket that night.

When they didn't happen *every* time, and they didn't kill me, it just became another risk to take- and with ecstasy, there's really not much that would stop me.

That's stupid. But it's part of the problem with getting involved with these drugs- they really warp your perception.

Thanks for not judging, it really is the truth. If you want to chat about it, feel free to pm me.
:hugs:

:agree: It's better to be safe than sorry so don't you think it's wise to listen to those who've been there and done that? And you need to consider the drug interactions between the AEDs and these other drugs.:

That is exactly why I have asked this question...to listen about the experiences of others and see if I should carry on with this or not. Thank you so much for the link! I will definatly look into this :)

Janellie

ecstasy - never (but have a bad story on an old friend from highschool who did it too much and seizures hit him hard).

lsd - a few times in my teens. looking back i shudder, coming down off acid was the WORST feeling i've ever had, worse than a grand mal. so i tried a 'lighter' version of hallucinogenics at christmas, shrooms. would take that experience back too. fun at first, you could take over the world, and then...) :(.

coke - unfortunately yes (tho there was a lot of great times). my first grand mal was two days after a big coke and drinking night with my best friend. turned out it wasn't a true part of my epilepsy (mine was due to a lesion), but it sure as hell didn't help. silver lining was that i was at home in bed when it happened.

marijuana - i became a regular smoker (and loved hash) at 16, very into it. even grew it. then in my mid-20's, roughly within a year of grand mals starting, one hoot would turn into a simple partial. over the years i've given it a break, then tried again 'just to see.' seizure every time. i understand that weed helps some with seizures, but it can also be a bad trigger.

in addition to all that, the withdrawal. hard enough for someone w/o epilepsy, and a million times harder/riskier for one with. deciding to hit heavy drugs is, imo, about the same wrong decision as dropping ur meds.
i am a designer too (graphic/publishing), and tho i don't touch drugs anymore, i wouldn't try and work even if i did. you may do your best work one night, then be found dead in the morning. we all love you (and understand you more than your other, younger friends), and it sounds unanimous - please don't do it.

That's true. They don't have epilepsy. And they don't understand. They just think the idea is cool. Of course the people telling me that this is okay are young people. I am sure they haven't thought about the risks or anything like that, just that the idea of doing drugs is cool. But I don't want to do this to be cool. I want to see if there are any alters in my artistic ability. I am having second thoughts about using the hard stuff.

Thanks,
Janellie

I really am glad you are having second thoughts. Besides that meth can be pretty addicting even after one time, from what I hear. Probably a good thing it wasn't around when I was younger. I never used coke but loved amphetamines. I did enough hallucinating while in ICU after back surgery. I never liked hallucinations.

Besides that meth can be pretty addicting even after one time, from what I hear.

couldn't be more true MAB. meth is the #1 addictive and destructive street drug available and #1 hardest to get off of. just one pipe of meth can take you down for life, has happened to an astounding amount of people.

Long before I developed epilepsy I did ecstasy a handful of times -- and loved it. But even back then I was aware that X could be hard on the brain and body, and wasn't worth a long-term commitment. My understanding is that most of us only get one brain to work with, so best to take loving care of the ol' grey matter.

Janellie, I'm sure you have the potential to unleash some fine creative work -- all with your conscious, unadulterated mind. :)

ecstasy - never (but have a bad story on an old friend from highschool who did it too much and seizures hit him hard).

lsd - a few times in my teens. looking back i shudder, coming down off acid was the WORST feeling i've ever had, worse than a grand mal. so i tried a 'lighter' version of hallucinogenics at christmas, shrooms. would take that experience back too. fun at first, you could take over the world, and then...) :(.

coke - unfortunately yes (tho there was a lot of great times). my first grand mal was two days after a big coke and drinking night with my best friend. turned out it wasn't a true part of my epilepsy (mine was due to a lesion), but it sure as hell didn't help. silver lining was that i was at home in bed when it happened.

marijuana - i became a regular smoker (and loved hash) at 16, very into it. even grew it. then in my mid-20's, roughly within a year of grand mals starting, one hoot would turn into a simple partial. over the years i've given it a break, then tried again 'just to see.' seizure every time. i understand that weed helps some with seizures, but it can also be a bad trigger.

in addition to all that, the withdrawal. hard enough for someone w/o epilepsy, and a million times harder/riskier for one with. deciding to hit heavy drugs is, imo, about the same wrong decision as dropping ur meds.
i am a designer too (graphic/publishing), and tho i don't touch drugs anymore, i wouldn't try and work even if i did. you may do your best work one night, then be found dead in the morning. we all love you (and understand you more than your other, younger friends), and it sounds unanimous - please don't do it.

I am glad that you guys are so honest and letting me know what I could possibly be getting myself into! At first when I asked this question I thought that all of you guys would think I am stupid and hard headed. But I am getting these amazing replies! Thank you :) Now I am kind of nervous to do these drugs. I wasn't nervous going into this, but I am now. I can always stop this project. This project is not as important as I am. I didn't realize marijuana could be a trigger? All I have been hearing about marijuana and epilepsy were the good things, not the bad things like that. I am really thinking about this, and I am glad you were able to share your experiences :)

Thanks,
Janellie

Long before I developed epilepsy I did ecstasy a handful of times -- and loved it. But even back then I was aware that X could be hard on the brain and body, and wasn't worth a long-term commitment. My understanding is that most of us only get one brain to work with, so best to take loving care of the ol' grey matter.

Janellie, I'm sure you have the potential to unleash some fine creative work -- all with your conscious, unadulterated mind. :)

I am thinking twice about this.. that's a nice way to put it- to take care of the only grey mush we have :) The last part made me smile, thank you :)

Janellie

Janellie, I see on your profile that you have quite a range of seizure types. Ever think of doing this project during or after different seizures to see how they'd influence your work? It'd make people more aware of how epilepsy influences us and it'd help you to explore those changes in yourself.

Janellie, I see on your profile that you have quite a range of seizure types. Ever think of doing this project during or after different seizures to see how they'd influence your work? It'd make people more aware of how epilepsy influences us and it'd help you to explore those changes in yourself.

Wow I never thought of that! It would be hard to do art during my nocturnal seizures. But during my simple partials during the day, I think I could give that a try... An art project without using the influence of drugs! Thanks, I might look into this a bit more :) But originality comes up again, this was your idea! And its a great one too :) Maybe you should try this as well?

Janellie

I don't paint, Janellie, so consider the originality all yours if you choose to do it. I did write a book 'under the influence of' untreated seizures but the goal was never to make the seizures part of it. Not being treated was the best thing for my writing. Even now, when I'm not controlled, I can't write like I did in those days. I can write better stuff, but I can't write as often as I did then.

I'm a bit late to reply to this post, but since I was doing searches on recreational drug use, I figure I might as well contribute anyway. Maybe you'll see the response!

Before my diagnosis/realization of epilepsy, I smoked a lot of weed and did MDMA (the pure active ingredient in ecstasy) fairly often. I LOVED mdma. It was a clean-feeling party drug that really enhanced every event/party/club I went to. Even after diagnosis I continued to use weed and mdma.

I didn't notice any reaction at first.

Until I started on my medication. I sort of forgot that I was on lamotrigine (just a small amount into my titration up to treatment levels) and did a fair bit of mdma over the course of a weekend. I ended up having multiple partial seizures (the only kind I experience) WHILE high. It really messed me up. The paranoia was worse, I was hyper-aware of the seizure, and worst of all, for whatever reason, I couldn't bring myself to tell my friend I was having them.

Anyway. It wasn't the end of the world for me, but now that I am on WAY more anti-epileptic meds, I haven't tried mdma again. I smoke weed regularly and have never had any problems with it. But don't take my word for it. This isn't medical advice, only personal anecdotes.

I had my first tonic clonic seizure while on psychedelic mushrooms. I will never recommend any drugs. And Meth...... Meth? Sorry but my family is full of meth users and please please stay far away from meth!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!! For so many reasons!!!!!! My heart breaks for every person who has ever used or ever cared for a meth user. That drug ruins lives.
Marijuana, and only if properly used, is the only "drug" that would be acceptable, and only in a legal state if its the correct type. Please do research and be safe

I'm not opposed to marijuana but everything else is a terrible idea, even alcohol. I'm almost 59 and have only smoked pot 3 times since I tuned 18. I don't think it's wrong or ever harmful to most people in moderation but I have a job that I would like to keep. I doubt my boss would have a major issue with it but workers comp would if I was to ever get hurt on the job.

It's a good topic, but I think the original point of the thread was sorted out months ago..

Back
Top Bottom