Edward Snowden epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi,

I know many people may or may not like talking about politics or anything or even like Edward Snowden, but regardless of your opinions... I was wondering does he actually have epilepsy? I've read a lot in the media about him may or may not having it, and I'm just curious if anybody knew more about this.

Just curious is all.

I'd never paid much attention to Edward Snowden, but here is what I found when I googled it:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance

Three weeks ago, Snowden made final preparations that resulted in last week's series of blockbuster news stories. At the NSA office in Hawaii where he was working, he copied the last set of documents he intended to disclose.

He then advised his NSA supervisor that he needed to be away from work for "a couple of weeks" in order to receive treatment for epilepsy, a condition he learned he suffers from after a series of seizures last year.

As he packed his bags, he told his girlfriend that he had to be away for a few weeks, though he said he was vague about the reason. "That is not an uncommon occurrence for someone who has spent the last decade working in the intelligence world."
:ponder: hmmm...... interesting....

It's hard to say, and tbh I don't really have much faith in reporting standards these days. Some articles say he was diagnosed last year after a few seizures, or uses a seizure dog, but more leave it as just being what he told his bosses before he left- without any further clarification.

His mother apparently does, so it's not infeasible. But I guess as well it would make a good cover story as to why he needed to fly to the mainland and be away for a few weeks- especially if he already knew a bit about it because of his mother..

If it is true, he's definitely a good new addition to the list.

Back
Top Bottom