EEG Finally!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

holly

New
Reaction score
ok guys, finally got my date for my eeg, im sure this question has been asked a billion times before but..... tips appreciate, and my question is are there any ways i can try and help bring on activity??? im going to pull an all nighter for extream sleep dep .... gonna be a long day for sure

Woohoo! Best of luck with everything!

I'll start with some of the obvious ones, I guess...

Take some baby oil and a fine-tooth comb.
Take comfortable PJs that button down.
Take lots of things to do, like books to read, movies to watch, etc.
Take comfortable non-slip footwear. And always keep something on your feet if not in bed.

To bring on activity...don't think about it. I'd almost swear when people try, they don't show up as quickly. :)

Beginning of July. Had EEG in drs office. Was told not to sleep and dr instructions to not take meds night before. Felt like I had been taking so much I told daughter driving me nothing would show up. Seems in past if I went a night without meds nothing happened. I was wrong. Shortly after EEG started had TC. Never made it thru all the things they said I was to do. Such as breathing heavy or flashing lights. I'm really not sure what triggered it. Could have been the no sleep. Day before was a Sunday and to pass the time spent a good couple of hours working out. I have had several EEG's in past. 1st one that this ever happened. Of course I was not on the happy side of it. I'm 52 and have been having seizures since 19. I still seem to be in denial. I think because I don't know the why's or what causes it. They have never been like several on a day or even weeks. Maybe if it were more often and I could figure out or know the triggers.

thank you guys :) im pretty sure ill be all kinds of worked up on the day, and im also pretty sure im photosensitive if that's the right term, rapid eye movements bother me such as typing and looking for the right keys, video games on my pc, when I was preg triggered the falling sensation like vertigo almost, and the lights in supermarkets make me feel surreal like im about to fall on my face! crazy thing is I used to model... and always wondered why I was eager to go go go and then when it started I used to get confused and headaches to set history with .... now im thinking there may be a connection?!?! lol, the weirdest thing for me is I am almost positive I have epilepsy of some form, what if nothing shows up, and they just tell me in a nut nut?? what do you do then if you get a "normal" EEG result? I know that also simple as it may be I have the hardest time holding conversations, as I have absence seizures and forget constantly what im talking about or doing. I found my coffee in the fridge before, and my daughter was like mom again?!?! I was confused by this statement and she then pointed out that she found the milk in the microwave and the dish soap in the bread bin??? haha ok maybe I really am just a loonie

and one other thing to add to this thread is this EEG is only like 2 hours long is that normal? im confused

Often a person's first EEG is only an hour or two, because sometimes this is all the time that is needed to obtain abnormal recordings to: first, confirm a diagnosis of epilepsy, and second, to determine the origin of the seizures. If this EEG is normal, then longer ones are often undertaken. Another reason a longer EEG might be conducted is if someone with known epilepsy is being considered for surgery.

I've thrown wallets in the trash and shoved candy wrappers in my pocket! I just call it "running on autopilot." It does get me in trouble sometimes...

Also, apologies...I didn't read the first post right and thought this would be an inpatient EEG! Doh! At least you won't get too itchy. The glue they use in the hospital can get nasty.

thanks again guys..... now for the long sleep deprived night ughhh

its 4 am! sleep dep ..... ugh!

EEG today

fingers crossed !

its 4 am! sleep dep ..... ugh!

EEG today

fingers crossed !

My only recommendation is to eat a little something, but avoid caffeine such as coffee, soda, diet soda, tea, etc at all cost. If you shower don't use hair conditioner, that's about all I can recommend. It may be too late, but if you schedule an MRI and EEG at the same time, then you will probably not be able to sleep. My father doesn't really have much time, but he set up an appointment and the MRI was so loud that it kept me up, and was unable to sleep during the 30 minute EEG. However, they saw abnormalities, which diagnosed it.

Good luck though. :D

Hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

Good lucky Holly! If you were anything like me you might not fall asleep during the EEG (I can't sleep with strange people in the room) but I fell right to sleep during the MRI (strangely enough!). Let us know how it goes! Hopefully you get the results you're looking for!

How did the EEG go Holly? I hope you got through it easily!!

Back
Top Bottom