EEG Results Grades Dysrhythmias

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me (or lead me to a site that I can understand) what a 'grade 2 dysrhythmia with spikes' means on an EEG report???

Do I understand that this is not enough to be classified as a seizure disorder? and that it has to be a grade 3 to be a seizure disorder? that is what the nurse at my neuro's office was telling me, but I don't think that is correct, but i am having difficultly finding information about this.

Thank you very much. :)

The nurse was incorrect.

There are only three grades of dysrhythmia, so grade 2 is right in the middle. Any of the "grades" can be indicative of a seizure disorder, including grade 1, and the presence of spikes does suggest epilepsy. As with all EEGs, the possibility for false positives and false negatives prevent the test from being definitive, but your EEG report doesn't rule out epilepsy at all, and in fact seems to rule it in.

thank you....
any idea where I can find info and read about the grades of dysrhythmias?

I can't link you to a specific site unfortunately. The "grade" system was developed by the Mayo clinic and is just one way of quantifying EEG results. Incidentally, dysrhythmias can be caused not only by epilepsy, but also by things like anxiety and other psychological states.

thank you!! I did a google search of mayo clinic grade of dysrhythmias and found this:

The Mayo system of classification, which was the prototype, classifies an EEG according to its pattern class (normal, asymmetry, dysrhythmia, delta, etc.), intensity (Grades, 1, 11, and 111), location of the abnormality, wave description (spike, spike and wave, etc.) and additional descriptors. Classification of an EEG according to this system is routinely included with the EEG report. The various categories and descriptors are defined in terms of voltage or percentages. The system provides a summary that is more meaningful than the conventional report for nonEEGers, allows for computer storage and retrieval, and helps to standardize interpretation.

:)

Mayo classification system of EEG

Can somebody please send me the detailed Mayo classification system of EEG ?

Back
Top Bottom