EEG results-if someone could interpret this for me please? 😊

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobynM

Pillar
Reaction score
Hey peops,

Just had to get a print-out of letters from Neurologist, to give to my nurse for my file at Uni. Was hoping you could interpret what the results of my EEG were into our 'normal' language! Hehe. Thanks 😊 (also good to note that I have only had one grand mal seizure to date!)

So the neurologist wrote; EEG is abnormal with frequent bilateral epileptiform discharges, more evident asymmetrically over the left hemisphere with bilateral synchrony.

EEG is abnormal with frequent bilateral epileptiform discharges
This basically means the EEG showed interictal* brainwave patterns characteristic of epilepsy. Bilateral means these patterns appeared on both sides of the brain.

more evident asymmetrically over the left hemisphere with bilateral synchrony.
This suggests that the abnormal brainwaves may start on one side and spread to the other.

The EEG seems to confirm an epilepsy diagnosis, but you should talk to your neurologist to get a full explanation and interpretation. There's other information related to the location of the brainwaves and changes in the patterns (as well as your actual clinical history) that are part of the diagnostic process.

*interictal means between seizures. Even when someone isn't actually having a seizure during the EEG, their brain may produce a pattern that is associated with epilepsy.

Thankyou both for your replies. What I also don't understand though is that to my knowledge I have only ever had one seizure, so how would it confirm a diagnosis of epilepsy? I thought that meant recurrent seizures?

Thanks for your time,

Thankyou both for your replies. What I also don't understand though is that to my knowledge I have only ever had one seizure, so how would it confirm a diagnosis of epilepsy? I thought that meant recurrent seizures?

Thanks for your time,
Ado mate,

As the saying goes apparently everyone is surposed to have one seizure in their life and this could be yours but with what Nakamova said about your results, you've got activity gong on in the brain....so I highly suggest seeing a neuro and asking for a proper diagnosis of your results and take it from there.

Thanks for your time,

As of 2014, the new definition of epilepsy is either two unprovoked seizures, or one seizure and some evidence that you will have recurring seizures. See below (from the International League Against Epilepsy website):

"The task force proposed that epilepsy be considered to be a disease of the brain defined by any of the following conditions: (1) At least two unprovoked (or reflex) seizures occurring 24 h apart; (2) one unprovoked (or reflex) seizure and a probability of further seizures similar to the general recurrence risk (at least 60%) after two unprovoked seizures, occurring over the next 10 years; (3) diagnosis of an epilepsy syndrome."

Your EEG results could be evidence that you are likely to have recurring seizures, or it may not indicate that. You definitely need to discuss it with your neurologist to be sure.

Thankyou for all of your time and info. That is really interesting re the change in definition. I was not aware of that at all, so thanks again! :)

Take care all ��

Thankyou for all of your time and info. That is really interesting re the change in definition. I was not aware of that at all, so thanks again! :)

Take care all ��
Your welcome mate and update we when you know more :tup:

Back
Top Bottom