The EEG test, what was yours like?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For those who have had the EEG tests, what was yours like, what did they have you do, anything that seemed unusual or unique? Of course the basics would be showing flashing lights near your eyes and the hyperventilation test. What did they do for the hyperventilation test or lights?

With me, they showed a series of flashing lights with my eyes closed and this continued for several minutes. For the Hypervantilation test, they gave me a pinwheel and had me blow on it for 3 minutes straight without stopping. I was light headed, kind of dizzy and my mouth got really dry. It was almost like being hypnotized.

For me the hyperventilation phase was simply me breathing deep and fast for 3 minutes, which is quite hard to do. In the strobe phase, I had to look at the light, then close my eyes, about 10 times while the light was sped up. Also not easy, especially when you open your eyes to a flashing light less than a foot from your face. I've had 2 EEGs (both video EEGs) and both of them were run the same, the second one was sleep deprived though.

I only had the hour long EEG, i had to sit up for some of it and then i lay on the bed to do the hyperventilating, just breathing really hard for a while. On the strobe test i had to close my eyes for some of it and open my eyes for some of it.

I had some small seizures caught during the hyperventilating part.

I remember having this test done and before even beginning, I was well aware that none of these small, sometime seizure inducing tests were gong to do anything because I had basically tried them all myself. They did the flashing light test for over twenty minutes, and a few others that I cannot currently remember. But understandingly Stanford needed to see for themselves. It truly is amazing how many different things can cause seizures in so many different people. But surly everyone in the epileptic world needs to try this test and see the results.

Mine have

varied over the years. Mostly over the last 6 to 7 years, they have been ambulatory 5 day EEGs (yes, I know, you can roll your eyes at the idea, they ARE a PITA.) I had anywhere between 4 to 8 hours worth of time in the doc's office first, being observed and hooked up....after that, I was on my own.

For me, the strobe test was out, as they discovered that it caused severe migraines, and ruined the EEG. And the insurance would pay for the ruined EEG. :(

I did look at some patterns.......they didn't bother me too much, did give me something of a headache, and that showed up on the EEG as well. The tech could actually see it coming on. Don't know how........*scratching head*

Hyperventilating.....just put me to sleep. Strange reaction, but it did. Nurse laughed, but I zonked out. No seizure, just zonked out. I'm not a normal patient, I guess..........

I have had all the same. Some in a recliner, some laying flat. Sometimes something will show up, sometimes not. That is why I don't like that fact that some doctors use the eeg as their big diognostic tool.

Like you much the same, flashing light, noise all the same but I hate laying down because no matter how I try - and I have told both the doctors and tecs whob do the eeg - I cannot help falling asleep, I have a bad back (guess why) and the bed is so hard - it just feels so comfortable to me, so I go to sleep.

Wow! I love all the different eegs people have had! I would LOVE to have had it done in a recliner! Sounds cushy! And blowing in a pinwheel sounds unique! I have had an ambulatory too where life carries on as usual, one in hospital when I was clustering and they just let them carry on while they monitored, and the others have been with strobe lighting and hyperventilating.

I've had quite a few one-hour EEGs, all sleep-deprived, with the basic flashing lights and shallow breathing routine. One set also included two sensors inserted under the skin right above the cheekbone area. Supposedly those can be more accurate.

My daughter is scheduled for her fifth video EEG in September. The first four (over 5 years time) didn't get very good results. They all had the flashing lights, hyperventilating, some sleep deprivation, and they took her off her meds for one of them (resulting in her only tonic clonic ever). This time it will be at a different hospital and I have read that they do the two sensors inserted in the cheek just like Nakamova says. I am excited to think she is about to have a more accurate EEG, and hoping they find out something useful this time.

Edit: I guess they did get some info from the tonic clonic, but I've always felt like it wasn't really telling us about her normal partial seizures, because it was brought on by suddenly stopping the meds. That's always been a confusing issue for me, maybe the doctors at this new hospital can explain it to me better.

Last edited:
I wonder if this time I'll have a sleep deprived one and or take me off my meds for it. First time I had it, I hadn't started meds yet and it wasn't sleep deprived. He's mentioned hospital observation too but don't know if he'll do that. You know if they are going to do a strobe light thing, they should make it interesting by playing rock music with it, give ya the impression of being at a concert. lol

All but one of mine were done in the hospital after major grand mals - iows I got an ambulance ride I don't remember. I did get the bill for each ride tho!

I vaguely remember the one with my neuro just cause the lights messed with me but I don't remember anything else. Of course I had a seizure at the eye drs office when he looked into my eyes with his lil light thingy.

Damn I'm easy! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom