Coping With Epilepsy Brian's Legacy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

LightningBolt The EEG test, what was yours like?

For those who have had the EEG tests, what was yours like, what did they have you do, anything that seemed unusual or unique? Of course the basics would be showing flashing lights near your eyes and the hyperventilation test. What did they do for the hyperventilation test or lights?

With me, they showed a series of flashing lights with my eyes closed and this continued for several minutes. For the Hypervantilation test, they gave me a pinwheel and had me blow on it for 3 minutes straight without stopping. I was light headed, kind of dizzy and my mouth got really dry. It was almost like being hypnotized.
Add Post to del.icio.usNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

For me the hyperventilation phase was simply me breathing deep and fast for 3 minutes, which is quite hard to do. In the strobe phase, I had to look at the light, then close my eyes, about 10 times while the light was sped up. Also not easy, especially when you open your eyes to a flashing light less than a foot from your face. I've had 2 EEGs (both video EEGs) and both of them were run the same, the second one was sleep deprived though.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I only had the hour long EEG, i had to sit up for some of it and then i lay on the bed to do the hyperventilating, just breathing really hard for a while. On the strobe test i had to close my eyes for some of it and open my eyes for some of it.

I had some small seizures caught during the hyperventilating part.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Getting Comfortable

I remember having this test done and before even beginning, I was well aware that none of these small, sometime seizure inducing tests were gong to do anything because I had basically tried them all myself. They did the flashing light test for over twenty minutes, and a few others that I cannot currently remember. But understandingly Stanford needed to see for themselves. It truly is amazing how many different things can cause seizures in so many different people. But surly everyone in the epileptic world needs to try this test and see the results.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

Mine have

varied over the years. Mostly over the last 6 to 7 years, they have been ambulatory 5 day EEGs (yes, I know, you can roll your eyes at the idea, they ARE a PITA.) I had anywhere between 4 to 8 hours worth of time in the doc's office first, being observed and hooked up....after that, I was on my own.

For me, the strobe test was out, as they discovered that it caused severe migraines, and ruined the EEG. And the insurance would pay for the ruined EEG.

I did look at some patterns.......they didn't bother me too much, did give me something of a headache, and that showed up on the EEG as well. The tech could actually see it coming on. Don't know how........*scratching head*

Hyperventilating.....just put me to sleep. Strange reaction, but it did. Nurse laughed, but I zonked out. No seizure, just zonked out. I'm not a normal patient, I guess..........
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

I have had all the same. Some in a recliner, some laying flat. Sometimes something will show up, sometimes not. That is why I don't like that fact that some doctors use the eeg as their big diognostic tool.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,231 Posts
Like you much the same, flashing light, noise all the same but I hate laying down because no matter how I try - and I have told both the doctors and tecs whob do the eeg - I cannot help falling asleep, I have a bad back (guess why) and the bed is so hard - it just feels so comfortable to me, so I go to sleep.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

Wow! I love all the different eegs people have had! I would LOVE to have had it done in a recliner! Sounds cushy! And blowing in a pinwheel sounds unique! I have had an ambulatory too where life carries on as usual, one in hospital when I was clustering and they just let them carry on while they monitored, and the others have been with strobe lighting and hyperventilating.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 4,966 Times in 3,832 Posts
I've had quite a few one-hour EEGs, all sleep-deprived, with the basic flashing lights and shallow breathing routine. One set also included two sensors inserted under the skin right above the cheekbone area. Supposedly those can be more accurate.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Joined the Party

My daughter is scheduled for her fifth video EEG in September. The first four (over 5 years time) didn't get very good results. They all had the flashing lights, hyperventilating, some sleep deprivation, and they took her off her meds for one of them (resulting in her only tonic clonic ever). This time it will be at a different hospital and I have read that they do the two sensors inserted in the cheek just like Nakamova says. I am excited to think she is about to have a more accurate EEG, and hoping they find out something useful this time.

Edit: I guess they did get some info from the tonic clonic, but I've always felt like it wasn't really telling us about her normal partial seizures, because it was brought on by suddenly stopping the meds. That's always been a confusing issue for me, maybe the doctors at this new hospital can explain it to me better.

Last edited by bandmom; 08-21-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I wonder if this time I'll have a sleep deprived one and or take me off my meds for it. First time I had it, I hadn't started meds yet and it wasn't sleep deprived. He's mentioned hospital observation too but don't know if he'll do that. You know if they are going to do a strobe light thing, they should make it interesting by playing rock music with it, give ya the impression of being at a concert. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelwithDentedHalo For This Useful Post:
Fedup (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

All but one of mine were done in the hospital after major grand mals - iows I got an ambulance ride I don't remember. I did get the bill for each ride tho!

I vaguely remember the one with my neurologist just cause the lights messed with me but I don't remember anything else. Of course I had a seizure at the eye drs office when he looked into my eyes with his lil light thingy.

Damn I'm easy!

Tags
eeg, hyperventilation, pinwheel