Effect of diaphragmatic respiration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bedolaga

Knows a Thing or Two About EEG Neurofeedback
Reaction score
I'd like to point out one useful approach to seizure control, that I use currently.

As it follows form this research:

http://www.annalsnyas.org/cgi/content/abstract/602/1/67
"Effect of Diaphragmatic Respiration with End-Tidal CO2 Biofeedback on Respiration, EEG, and Seizure Frequency in Idiopathic Epilepsy" by Robert Fried et al.

Virtually all the noncontrol subjects were found to show moderate to severe hyperventilation and the accompanying EEG dysrhythmia.
The breath training normalized their respiration and altered their EEGs and seizure frequency.

After learning that, I decide to find out low- cost biofeedback unit to train abdomibal breath pattern on my wife.

After some days of internet searching, I've bought this machine: http://www.resperate.com/

Yeah, it's positioned as a blood pressure lower, but it's pretty good for diaphragmatic Respiration training.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that little device on Dr Weil's newsletter. I look forward to your critique after you have used it a while. I have been giving breathing a lot of thought, and use breathing techniques on myself. I have suggested it to my daughter who is the one with the seizures, but being a teen I am not sure what she hears and what slips right through between the ears.

Hi, RobinN!

My wife uses this device for 5 months already, and I can tell you, that almost all of her morning seizuries take place only when she forget to practise 10 minutes of deep abdominal or diaphragmatic breath before getting up from the bed.

Moreover, this breathing exercises facilitate greatly EEG traning. These bursts of Dr. Sterman's "Sensorimotor rhythm" can be acheived more frequently during slow diaphragmatic respiration.

So, I don't say any critique about this training for now. It's very useful thing for epileptics.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom