The effect of food choices on your seizures.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

k1_

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

How much of a role does your diet play on your seizure control?

I have totally cleaned up my diet! I use to eat when ever I wanted, what ever I wanted and large quantities. The majority was takeouts. McDonald's, KFC, Fish n Chips, Burger King..... For breakfast I would have left over dinner and after each meal I would just feel tired.

I stopped drinking soda and eating takeouts and I didn't have a complex partial for 3 weeks. Before that I would usually average about 1-3 per week. I was really hungry one day so for lunch I went to a Chinese takeout and ordered a large self serve plate and TOTALLY stocked it with food and ate everything.

Two days later I had a complex partial that lasted around 10 minutes! Then it progressed to a Tonic Clonic. The doctor told me that he thinks I done something to my sugar levels and if there was MSG in that food then it could have been the cause to the problem.

Who here finds much better seizure control when they are on a well balanced diet? What foods do you eat on your well balanced diet and what foods do you avoid? How many meals do you have a day?

Thanks

I am certain that a better diet can help with seizures. If medicine that you put in or even or your body can lower your seizure thresh hold then certainly food and the chemicals and herbs in food can.

At this time I am not aware of any foods that have lower my thresh hold but know of several medicines that do or are highly suspect.

I could see how processed food would reduce your seizure threshold.

The fast food makes you feel like crap so you may feel more tired & stressful lowering your seizure threshold.

Coffee has never affected me

Back
Top Bottom