Emergency Room/Ambulance?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anyone have any emergency room or ambulance stories as a result of their epilepsy? How many times have you been? How well do you think paramedics and doctors manage epilepsy in the ER/ambulance?

around 275-300 trips before i decided no going unless there was a good reason, and i had gotten used to the taste of blood. got tired of them losing my bike. most of the emts have gotten tired of seeing me, they probably talk about me at the station.

an ambulance the time my heart stopped, didnt go the week later when i broke the tip of my shoulder blade, but i did limp down there after a nap.

plus paper work gets old, i have spent more than one christmas and new years in a hospital. the list goes on.

have spent 8 hours in a waiting room with 10-12 other epileptics in a crowded hospital, we all split a few pizzas fruit cups get old. i have all sorts of horror stories.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot! I've only been twice, but neither time was all that enjoyable. go figure.

Had a seizure lying on the bed in the ward watching tv,waiting for an operation.My father was there,he said the docs and nurses were brilliant,couldn't fault them at all.Best off all i came round in my own room with a tv on the wall and a remote control.

Other time was my first seizure,got airlifted there,can't really remember much apart from questions,lights been shone in my eyes and tickiling of my feet for some reason(doc with a fetish?:ponder:} But got let out that day,six weeks later another seizure,hey presto,you are now offically epileptic!

they put epileptics in the psych ward here so the nurses can keep an eye on them, and that is always fun.

seeing people run down the hall naked, or hearing someone scream for a fruit cup.

Court is that quite a common occurence over in America? If so that sucks to the max and i am geniuly sorry to hear that goes on.In fact that is a pathetic way to treat another human.

they put epileptics in the psych ward here so the nurses can keep an eye on them, and that is always fun.

Is that an Alabama thing? I live in America, too, and have been to the ER several times because of seizures, but NEVER have been put in a psych ward. The very first TC seizure, I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns because of falling in the shower and lying under hot water. I was flown to the ER and from what little I remember, I was treated good. I was in the hospital for two months. I've gone status twice, also, and was rushed to the ER. They treated me well. And back in December when I was rushed to the ER again after wrecking my car, the EMTs treated me well. The ER dr. was rather arrogant and those running the X-rays seemed hurried. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

seeing people run down the hall naked, or hearing someone scream for a fruit cup.

Wow, that's... interesting. And that's a lot of ambulance trips...

I've only had two (thank goodness my T/Cs are under control), and the last one was while I was deployed in Afghanistan. The first thing I remember hearing was "You just had a seizure," and then I couldn't answer any basic questions.... Not very interesting, other than the fact that I was deployed when it happened (with blood all over the floor where I hit my head... and then someone walked in.... can't imagine that looked very good).

yeah, in a few places it is the only places they have enough extra nurses to watch them, and they have to be line of sight from the nursing station and checked every 15 minutes. which can get old if you ate trying to sleep.

i think the religious hospital is different but i havent been there but a seuzure in years

I've only had an ambulance called out to me three times. The first time was in Northern Ireland on the 12th july (a hol over there) and they apparently took the "Just another drunk prod" line, the second time apparently i refused to go to the hospital though i have no memory of it, and the third time i was quizzed about drugs and alchohol whilst the massive bump on my head and sore knee and wrist from falling went ignored.

They didn't seem to believe me when i said i hadn't ever taken any sort of drugs, did some blood tests then basically told me to leave. It was a very confusing situation for me. Took over four months for the bump in my head to go, and i still have a dent there. The ambulance staff as far as i can remember were pretty nice apart from the first ones.

one of the more amusing, someone in atlanta stole my cell phone while i was having a seizure at a train station, to call an ambulance and kept it to start making dirty calls to my gf. they did leave my wallet, but i was lying on top of it.

i also have a lot of trips, i ride around on a bicycle and i push myself a lot, and have a someone low sense of self preservation. plus people will call an ambulance pretty quickly here. and i traveled a lot so no one knew me in a lot of places. fewer people call when they are used to you. and it took me a bit to accept the whole fact.

Fighting paramedics

Had a seizure in the gym today. No big deal, had an aura, got off the treadmill and sat down. I guess I didn't make it to the sit, I fell on my butt.
Gym had to call an ambulance. I had to fight them to just call my dad to come pick me up and not take me to the ER. I really had to argue with them that it was just a seizure and my dad could take me home. One of the paramedics didn't know what a Vagus Nerve Stimulator was and had never heard of lamictal before. I had to fight them but finally they let me go.

So far I've only had two ambulance trips and they've been fine. The second hospital trip they tried to keep me because I wouldn't stop seizing so they put me under. My mom finally talked them out of keeping me.

Back
Top Bottom