Endorphins and AED's

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

It's complicated, but the short answer is: Not in a way you should worry about.

Lamictal isn't specifically targeted towards endorphins (which are neurotransmitters related to pain and euphoria). Lamictal IS targeted towards glutamate and GABA (neurotransmitters that excite or inhibit brain cells). The drugs that tend to have a more significant effect on endorphins are things like opiates (which mimic them) or stimulants like nicotine and cocaine.

That said, just about everything can affect endorphins in one way or another -- primarily stress and pain, but also food, music, exercise, sex, touch, etc.. And all the neurotransmitters interact in ways that are complex and not fully understood. Endorphins work specifically on the opiate receptors, of which there are a ton in the limbic system (the part of the brain that handles emotions and lots of other stuff). And endorphins may also be responsible for placebo affect.

So while Lamictal doesn't necessarily directly affect endorphins it might have a secondary effect on how the endorphins move about the brain.

I feel happier on Lamictial. My mood is more stable but that might be because I joined the gym and am finally exercising again.

Namokova
Thank you for your response - it wasn’t something I was worried about, it was more curiosity; to explain slightly - I did my first body suspension in Febuary 2013 and it was truly the best experience ever (I understand its not for everyone), and since then I have done this three other times (in Feb ‘14, I had my lamictal increased) and the last time I indulged, was at the beginning of this month - It went very well no problems, just I wasn’t feeling it this time, and the only thing that has changed since I last did this is the lamotrigine.

MAB - I totally understand and agree with what you say about the exercise thing I was told to stop running by my GP ( I was quite annoyed at this) at the end of last year cause I had a dodgy shoulder - more recently this has been sorted out, but I just haven’t persuaded myself that its a good idea to start yet, very nearly there tho!

Thank you for both your input!

I feel happier on Lamictial. My mood is more stable but that might be because I joined the gym and am finally exercising again.

Lamictal is also used as a mood stabilizer, so that could also be why you feel better.

MAB - I totally understand and agree with what you say about the exercise thing I was told to stop running by my GP ( I was quite annoyed at this) at the end of last year cause I had a dodgy shoulder - more recently this has been sorted out, but I just haven’t persuaded myself that its a good idea to start yet, very nearly there tho!

Like Nak said, there are plenty of endorphins in one's limbic system and they can have a "feel good" effect on the body after exercising.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/exercise-happiness2.htm
Happiness, Exercise and Endorphins

Just as antibody production is connected to both exercise and happiness, so too is endorphin production. Endorphins are chemicals that are able to cross through the gaps between neurons in order to pass along a message from one to the next. There are many different kinds, and much remains to be learned about their different purposes and functions.

Is hoarseness, raspy voice and throat cleaning a side effect of Lamictial? The last time I saw my neuro she said she could hear my voice changing as I was talking to her. Other people are noticing it too. Neuro said maybe it was post nasal drip but I have had that for as long as I can remember.

I vaguely remember another CWE member mentioning hoarseness/throat clearing as a med issue, but I can't remember if it was due to Lamictal. I think some people report more upper respiratory infections on Lamictal, and nasal congestion is listed as Lamictal side effect, so somehow or other it may be messing with your sinuses and drainage. You could be more susceptible if you already have post-nasal drip problems.

Back
Top Bottom