epigastric "rising" sensation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Electra

New
Reaction score
Can you describe what epigastric "rising" sensations feels like because I think this is what is happening to me and I want to explain it to my neurologist. I get this before I zone out like you listening to music in a distance but can't really hear or understand what people are saying and can't respond either.. But it starts from my neck up like a pressure (not from my feet or stomach) but I do get nausea and weakness in my knees/legs where I have to sit for awhile before I stand up and walk again. Horrible sensation when it comes over me...I feel like, Oh geez, here we go again. It's only for a few seconds so I am ok. But it happens at the most inconvenient times...OUT IN PUBLIC!

Last edited:
Epigastric rising is a sensation of nausea or indigestion or pain that starts in the stomach and progresses in waves up the chest to the throat or head. It's a common symptom of a partial seizure.

What you describe sounds slightly different (since it doesn't originate in the stomach), but it could still be a partial seizure.

I experience sort of a coldness, and the kind of feeling you get if you're in a quickly rising elevator, or a carnival ride that drops really fast. With me it's not really like nausea and certainly not pain. Also kind of like when you get a burst of adrenaline because of a fright.

Epigastric rising is a sensation of nausea or indigestion or pain that starts in the stomach and progresses in waves up the chest to the throat or head. It's a common symptom of a partial seizure.

What you describe sounds slightly different (since it doesn't originate in the stomach), but it could still be a partial seizure.

I've definitely had this before with partials.. also just a feeling of dread coming from my stomach when I know a tc is starting.

Yeah I get the same sick feeling before a tonic clonic too but i get this added pressure when I have a partial like I am about to faint and I zone out. I said seconds in my post but I meant minutes and then I go back to normal but still feel sick and I don't want to walk or do much.

The feeling I get is like something isnt right... its hard to describe... like Im just not all here... then i get a nasuea feeling in my stomach, and at times a sharp pain like comes with it, my heart begins to race fast...and I can get the feeling of fear... and by that time the seizure is starting.

Mine start in the middle of the night. I get woken up by extreme nausea, followed by chills and goosebumps up my right arm into my head. This is all accompanied by intense dread. Then deja vu brings about the same exact symptoms maybe 3-4 times for the next 2 to 3 days. Hard to do much during these days because of the fear and the fact that it drains all of my energy. seems to happen once a month

mine seem to last 2 or so days as well and funny that they only happen every month or month and a half.....very unnerving and scary feeling.....hate them.....and hate the dread and fear that accompanies them :(

I also experience these epigastric rising auras. I am waiting for MRI & EEG results this week. I was wondering if anyone had a problem going to a gym and using steppers, treadmill and other equipment causing this to happen? It will happen to me other places and times also, so not just there.

Mine are a little different than the normal description as well--I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach. It's not very painful, just a WOOF hard pressure sensation and nausea. I used to get it with complex partials and when I had series of simple partials in a row. It wasn't really a rising just a kicked sensation and nausea.

no new posts ??? I am really going crazy with this epigastric rising partial seizure thing....cant stand it much longer

For me they are closest to when you're on a rollercoaster and suddenly drop, i usually feel sick too and my heart races

Lynda -- have you let your neuro know that you are experiencing them?

I noticed that it's been several months since your post...have you let your neuro know? And I could post about my experience as well..but it's basically the same as everyone else's...lol

still waiting to see the neurologist...thank goodness these are "silent seizures"...I hate the whole feeling that surrounds them...they only last seconds but leave you feeling detached or "different" and THAT is what I hate the most.

I know it's scary...i was having those on a roofing job for several weeks before I ever had my first seizure....i didnt know what it was at the time...

Had what I came to know is 'epigastric rising', thanks to this website, episode last night, after listening to the news and husband asked if I was 'afraid'. Last I saw neurologist couldn't convey to her what these were but seems like she should have picked up on abdominal auras somethingsomething. She doesn't see enough on the EEG's to say I am epileptic, even after twenty years of treatment. Very frustrating. GeorgeIV

I know it's scary...i was having those on a roofing job for several weeks before I ever had my first seizure....i didnt know what it was at the time...

:agree: not knowing is among the worst things about E. did you have one on the roof? hugs.
years before i started having grand mals and was diagnosed i also had other things referred to as 'episodes' and diagnosed as PTSD. when driving one day i had an episode (had many driving but you can drive with that condition), so as usual kept going. 15 minutes later woke up in a ditch surrounded by strangers and a whackload of cops, firetruck etc. had they diagnosed these properly as simple partial seizures when i was a teenager i would have known to pull over. lucky i didn't kill myself or someone else.

I have this exact same "episode".

It starts in my stomach and it feels like it goes up to my head, like I'm going "inside out". My heart races, my adrenaline rushes, and when it reaches my head and the feeling goes "right side in" and I feel less disconnected I know it's almost over.

My Neurologists first impression is that these are Panic Attacks >_<

Back
Top Bottom