Epilepsy Bracelet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

recall92

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was diagnosed with epilepsy this year in Feb. I'm thinking of getting a Epilepsy Bracelet. Just wondering how do people react to you with are bracelet on. Do alot of people ask questions?

Cheers

What are on the bracelets? I assume it is info about epilepsy but if people don't even notice it how do they know you have it when you have a seizures like a complex partial?

The bracelet I have Just says "medic alert" on the front & has their logo.

The back says "epilepsy" because I asked that it be there but all the medic alert bracelets have a phone number for the medical personnel to call & an ID number that will identify me & access my file in an emergency. Of course only doctors can access this.

There are other bracelets that you can just have what you want engraved in them that don't have a connection to these services.

I do not have a bracelet and have not really considered it...think it would drive me nuts as well as wanting to avoid the questions that you are concerned about? Anyway, the most critical thing is that you have your medications & an Emerency contact on there/somewhere, esp if you do not have some type of service. Some meds can have pretty serious interactions with other meds so medical staff need to be aware of what you are taking. I have a necklace and it worked out ok when I was in an emergency back in March, problem was that it was really pretty small and the medical staff had a hard time reading the info! (after they actually discovered I had one, I would think that they would check that first, but they didnt until after I was in the ambulance for about 15 minutes I think) So, still need to get one that is a bit larger perhaps...

I have worn a 'Medic Alert' bracelet for nearly 10 years now. The front says 'Medic Alert' and the back says 'Epilepsy Seizures' with a number to call as well as my individual ID number. I suppose it was strange to get used to at first, but I honestly don't even notice it anymore and have been grateful to have it with me on more than one occasion.

As for the public reaction, it is pretty mild. The question I usually get is "So what are you allergic to?" Of course, I answer that I am not allergic to anything but am in fact Epileptic. To this day, I have never had a negative or 'frightened' reaction to my bracelet. In fact, most of the time people seem generally interested, or have stories to share of their own regarding Epilepsy.

I would DEFINITELY encourage you to go ahead and order your own bracelet (or necklace or whatever) if your doctor is recommending that you do so. As I mentioned previously, there have been numerous times when the information on the bracelet has allowed strangers, as well as medical professionals, to help me immediately when seizures have occurred.

Hope this helps!

When Rebecca wore hers, it was not ever checked when she had a seizure.
Now that she is feeling more independent, riding the bus, in college, and working, I might need to request that she do so, just in case. She does have ICE on her phone which is one step of security.

I also have worn the "Medic Alert" bracelet for over 10 years now, with their logo on the front and engraved on the back is: Vagus Nerve Stimulator, Epilepsy, and Diabetes along with the ID #. I also carry the "Medic Alert" emergency card in my wallet and it lists my medications as well. One can call their local fire dept. and let them know of their condition, just in case 911 is ever called for them.

I paid for a silver Medic Alert braclet that is really nice. it has my other disabilities and other important info. The rest of it is on file at the call center. The emblem has my ID# and the call center 800 number on it.
They have other ones from other ID companies that are nice too. People see mine but they don't ask questions. They assume that its there for a reason.
If they do ask you, just say "Its an ID for emergencies or a medical condition." or nothing at all. Just depends on how you feel and what you care to say etc.

I have no hesitation to speak about my disabilities since I've given presentations about them and instructed people educated them on how to help.
I don't announce it to everyone, just people that need to know. All others are able to see your bracelet in an emergency situation. Most people know what a medic-alert bracelet or necklace is now-a-days.
I wear a bracelet and most people never notice at all. I even had a sterling silver pendant that people see easily i'm sure- no one has asked about it but they do say its nice.
Anyway- some people use an ID while others use ID cards in their wallets. Either way, as long as people know what's up when you can't speak for yourself, the better care you get. I even had a card behind my state ID that actually says my seizure type, what to look for, how to help, what not to do etc. Its from Epilepsy Foundation.
So if I don't have my ID with me, my card is with me.
Some people don't use IDs at all. To me, if you're unable to speak or aren't aware enough to help yourself etc- you should use one.
I had an substitute slap me, not violently, but trying to get my attention. He thought I was asleep. Hmmm with my eyes open? Yeah.. doesn't make sense substitute! Hehe. He didn't know and I don't blame him for not knowing- but that day on, I have worn an ID. It was my friend that told him I was having a complex partial seizure- which doesn't look like a typical GM/tonic clonic/generalized seizure most people think of.

Think about how necessary it would be for you.
Who would be able to help you?
How often do you travel by yourself?
Do people around you know who to call, your family or friend's contact information?

My twin, roommate and myself all have Epilepsy and I'm the one that wears an ID! I'm getting on to the other two to ware theirs..hmm my stubborn twin!
My roommate has GMs and she won't wear hers hardly at all until I mention it. She is stubborn too.
I guess from my experiences, Ive seen why its important to use one.

Anyway- sorry for the long post lol
Please take care
Crystal and her guide dog Umbro

Oh I forgot to mention. Don't write medicatians that you take, just the ones you're allergic to. If you put medications you take and they change, the info will be inacurrate. Have a paper with you that says what you take, the dose, and what for..
Mine is a Medic Alert ID which says
Blind, hearing impaired, seizures, heart arrhythmia and migraine. The logo is on the front, the conditions are on the back with my personal id number with the call center number. You can request the medical staff to choose the most important info or you can tell them what to put on it. They have some from $19-$500 or more..

Also EMTs and others normally try to find one when you can't talk at all for yourself or are unaware etc. If you're able to talk or are concious, then most people don't tend to look for it. The EMS staff didn't look for mine but it was because I was talking- post-ictal and confused but was awake..they probably saw it though.
Ok take care.. good night everyone.
If you don't want to pay $35 fee per year, you can buy different ones from American Medical ID or other places that don't have a yearly fee. They normally don't have the same services as Medic Alert. Medic Alert is more well known and seem to be most recognized..

I would consider putting your meds on the bracelet/card/whatever you decide....have heard different medical opinions about dosages, decided not to have my dosages on there, just meds. The reason is that there are interactions with some medications and if you are not aware and/or not able to interact with medical professionals, they could give you a med that has a higher potential for an negative interaction with a medication you are taking. Meds can change, but I would still recommend it and suffer the cost of getting an updated one. Just my opinion. Better safe than sorry.

Just a little more of my thoughts here about IDs. The medications used for Epilepsy are in the class of barbiturates and most of the times, ER staff and nurses know which other classes may interact with barbiturates. If you're unable to speak for yourself and require Ativan or other medication to stop possible worsening of seizure or the condition Status Epilepticus- it most likely would be another barbiturate or seizure med and a neuro would be called as well.
BUT its totally up to the wearer of the ID because you know yourself better than anyone else.
Personally I would not put medication names down, especially if you're paying for a good ID. Medications often have to be changed out or doses changed.

Ok- enough of my comments here LOL
Hope you have a good day- oh I would also call the company you plan on buying your ID from, if you choose, and ask them for the best possible plan with your condition and medication intake..

Good thoughts and info....my concern was not so much with E interaction, but if you are in a car accident, etc....that is what develops my concern as it can go to another level with potential for emergency treatment, blah blah...but it is a good point that if they see E on the bracelet, they will likely assume you are on a seizure med and can make good choices from there...

I don't have one but I am looking into getting one that says something about my VNS, (a lot of EMT's go first for a defibrilator if someones heart stops and then they do pulmonary recessiation, but people with a VNS can't have a defib. used on them) about my Epilepsy and about the anti-biotic meds I have had allergic reactions to, and any ICE #'s.
They can be really $$$ as previous post mentioned but I think it would be worth it if someone could make one for women that have interchangable bracelets. :)

I have a jelly bracelet because i'm severly alleric to most med alert bracelets and really did not feel like spending $200 on a silver or gold one. And i've never had anyone check it on the way into the hospital but my fiance has med id bracelets for himself and a dog tag med id and when i got to the hospital after him they hadn't checked his tags and were about to give him meds that would cause anapahlatic shock.

A few people ask about it, but it's not a big deal. Most don't even notice it on me.

There are plenty of great looking alternatives, in epilepsy alert jewely in addition to the tried-and-true Medic Alert Bracelets. For example, you’ll find some very cool jewelry at:

Peace of Mind Jewelry http://peaceofmindjewelry.com/charity.htm#Epilepsy_Awareness_Bracelet has Czech bead and cane glass bracelets in shades of purple which include a sterling silver awareness charm. Best of all, $10 of your purchase is donated to the Epilepsy Foundation.

Fiddledeeids http://www.fiddledeeids.com/ has a whole array of beaded medical alert bracelets, charms, you name it. And each bracelet is customized and engraved for you — FREE.

Sticky Jewelry http://www.stickyj.com/ has cool Pandora style bracelets, beaded bracelets, bangles and lots of fashion forward medical alert jewelry.

Lauren’s Hope http://www.laurenshope.com/category/87/womens-medical-alert-jewelry has medical ID jewelry ranging from casual to elegant…bracelets, necklaces, ankle bracelets…you can even create your own personalized, custom design.

Creative Medical ID http://www.creativemedicalid.com/ choose from a heart-shaped ID necklace, beaded bracelets, Italian charms, golden pearls…they really are creative. Engraving is FREE and you even get an Emergency Wallet Card!

The bottom line? You don’t have to sacrifice style for safety!

NOTE: Here’s also some info about the Medic Alert bracelets and necklaces. http://www.medicalert.org/ Although they’re not the most stunning jewelry in the world (You COULD keep the necklace kind of hidden in your blouse.) they have saved many lives.

Medics recognize it and you can change your information, when needed. (Like if your meds change.) They also know whom to contact, especially if you end up in the hospital. The price for membership is just $30 a year. And if you have an “Advance Directive,” they will include it with your information — FREE.

Another option is the FREE Personalized Med ID cards http://www.medids.com/free-id.php that you can print out from the web. You can laminate yours and put one in your wallet, plus print out a new one every time your information changes. The website also has a selection of functional emergency alert jewelry. But, whatever you choose, it can’t hurt to have an In Case of Emergency (ICE) card also.

Finally, there’s the Invisible Bracelet http://www.invisiblebracelet.org/site/sections/1-the-national-emergency-health-registry for the super discreet. It’s a medical ID system that allows medics to know everything they need to and contact your loved ones in case of emergency, but the identifiers aren’t worn. The system is simply tied to a PIN number on your membership card and other Invisible Bracelet identifiers. At $10 per year, it’s a bargain!

Back
Top Bottom