Epilepsy and Fibromyalgia?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Morfen

New
Reaction score
After a really bad seizure night (6 in about 3 hours) about 6 mos ago, I have started developing symptoms of fibromyalgia. I never felt really good again after that night.

I have been in constant pain, mostly extremities and joints, not sleeping through the night and chronically exhausted.

Has anyone heard of this connection or is it just coincidence?

There are

several of us with this same problem, so no, you are not alone. And no, you're not losing your mind either. :)

Muscle relaxants, diet, lots of stretching plus a few other meds are what I use to deal with it.

Epilepsy vs. Fibromyalgia

I've been diagnosed with Epilepsy since 2004. I recently was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.

This is how my Dr. explained Fibromyalgia to me (No other site has explained it this way)...He said that Fibromyalgia pain is the opposite of a seizure. With a seizure, your brain send out the wrong signals to the rest of your body. With Fibromyalgia, your joints & muscles send the wrong signals to your brain...having your brain create a pain response. Interesting right?

I'm guessing there's a connection that hasn't been investigated yet, or is in the process of. I don't see it as a coincidence.

Symptoms of both can be reduced or eliminated by making nutritional changes.

Rebecca has a friend who was quite young when diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It was the first time I had heard of the elimination diet. She controls hers quite well by eliminating gluten, and additives. So much begins in the GI system

I have pain in my jaw, neck and shoulders, but none below the shoulders. My pain is triggered by stress, and I also exercise vigorously, also I am 52. I have been on Benzos off and on for 7 years, and the long term affects of those can cause joint and muscle pain. I am trying to ween myself off of those, as long as I am not having seizures. My long term use of Dilantin has done it's dirty work. Like RobinN says our diet can make a huge difference. I have experimented with this. Eat bad feel bad, eat good feel good. It is simple, but so essential to change the way we eat. Knowing what I know now, I am amazed at main stream medicine, and their inability to look at the bigger picture.

Gigi, I'm weaning off Klonopin with Valium.... I want off the Benzos sooo bad, the withdrawal is bad I know, but believe this, 1mg of Klonopin=20mg of Valium... I'm at 36mg of Valium, crossed over at 2mg of Klonopin to 40mg of Valium... as I used the Ashton Method.

About the Fibr, I get checked tomm. I do have some fibro symptoms...
and they are no fun... I also have a friend who has it, she has a bad time with it... and we have the same symptoms.

Billy.

my dose of valium has been 5mg per day. I am down to 2mg per day. Anxiety is my biggest problem, and makes it scary to do w/o. Even the smallest dosage seems to cause problems. Hope your journey goes as smooth as possible on getting off those!

Back
Top Bottom