Epilepsy and High Elevation?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epilepsee

New
Reaction score
I am relocating and LOVE mountain towns. The areas I am looking at get up to 7000 feet in terms of elevation.

Problem? Even though I am on a drug that has my epilepsy more under control than ANY drug I have tried (Keppra AKA wonderdrug) my epilepsy has always been most controlled at sea level, when I analyze the amount of seizures I have had compared to living at different elevations. I have lived at over 2000 feet before, but it is also where I had the most seizures...

Is it a really dumb idea to move to an area so high up, or will my lungs eventually adjust? Epilepsy is really the only thing keeping me from moving to a high elevation right now. I am also a little concerned about higher radiation from the ozone and how that would affect seizure control, as well as the warm temps. Any advice?

Hi epilepsee,

I live in the "Mile High City" area of Colorado and go to the mountains frequently. I am also taking Keppra and haven't had bad problems with it. When someone comes to a higher elevation it's best to go slowly at first, drink lots and lots of water. It takes a few weeks to adjust, but eventually your lungs will love the fresh mountain air. I have the VNS and go to the mountains to go hiking with friends, and except for the VNS, I don't have breathing problems. As far as higher radiation and warm temps, I don't know of any effect on seizures. You will sunburn much quicker than other places and tire more easily from the high elevation.

From http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/labels/TIA.html

Going To High Altitude with a Preexisting Neurological Condition

Seizures (Epilepsy)

Rapid ascent to high altitude may predispose to increased frequency of seizures. Gradual ascent may not pose the same risk. To date, there is not evidence that there is an increase in frequency or severity of seizures when anti-seizure medications are contiued at high altitude.

Yes it made a difference in my seizures, I lived in Montana at a ski resort and the air was much thinner. I had a lot more seizures,because I did not get as much oxygen. Back then I had asthma anyway. I loved the air. But I am sensitive to heat and everything else to. I guess it just depends on the person.

Back
Top Bottom