Epilepsy and mold???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cateyes64

New
Reaction score
It's been a while, and I actually forgot how to post questions, etc. It's either age or all these anti-convulsants I'm on. :)
Anyway, in June I wrote about "different" seizures I started having. They started 28 Jan, I've now had 10. The neurologists, two of them actually, were saying they were psychogenic. I always maintained they were epileptic in nature.
I finally had the EEG video-monitoring; after days of sleep deprivation and a 2/3 reduction of Lamictal they were able to trigger a seizure. It was epileptic in nature. The neurologist says I definitely don't have psychogenic seizures. My seizures have definitely changed, but no one knows why?
I fell out of the shower 2 weeks ago, bruised myself badly, and now, the ER docs believe my husband is physically abusing me.
Recently my mom mentioned all the seizures occur while I'm at home.
Hmm... On a separate but related note, housing is moving people out of our cul-de-sac. I found out it's because of mold. There's greening of tiles in front of my sliding glass doors. I've cleaned with bleach, but nothing. The neighbors have it too. (They moved yesterday.)
As a kidney transplant patient, I know this is a huge problem. We NEED to move. Is there a correlation b/w mold and seizures???

Thanks,
A

I"ve heard of a connection between that nasty, toxic BLACK mold and seizures. You know, the kind that grows in your walls and ceilings. That stuff puts out poisonous spores that can cause all kinds of neurological problems, as well as other problems. I have no idea if the regular mold can trigger seizures. Try googling "mold" and "seizures"

Addition: You can hire a "mold detective" for about $400 to come out and look at your house and assess the situation, especially to see if you have the black kind, and where. Google "Mold" "Contractor" and the name of your city.

Last edited:
I'd really like to get this done, too. I'm constantly trying to think of a (controllable) reason for the sudden onset of my kid's seizures cuz I'm just one of those nuts that has to have a reason for everything...anyway, about three weeks before her first seizure, I started having terrible migraine type headaches for the first time. I've had bad sinus ones before but these were different, pressure but from deep inside my head and nausea to go with it. At this time, our house was being torn into and remodeled. When we first moved here, there was some mold under one corner of the house but the inspector said it wasn't harmful, just to add another sump pump and keep it dry. A few weeks after my headaches/contruction started, she had her first seizure. Hubby thinks I'm crazy (like he needed another reason) but I've wondered if some nasty mold, allergen, varmit whatever is contributing to this?

Back
Top Bottom