Epilepsy and negative Relationships

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am, alas, not religious (more atheist, agnostic on my good days), but I have many family members and friends who spout the same 5th century logic.

I think it's good to remember that medication, and even some herbal supplements (like B vitamins, Folic Acid) are backed up good, hard scientific evidence meaning these scientists have spent years if not decades with this research. I know that many fundamentalists think, "OMG, science is bad!" but medication is there to help your brain. Similarly, your brain malfunctioning is not a sign of bad faith or bad karma-- all of our bodies are failing since it's coded into our molecular structure to die (fun fact: when the fetus forms in the womb, cells "die" before they are born, so death literally predates life). You know the old saying-- if we all lived long enough if we'd all get cancer. I think it's healthy to keep this thought in mind rather than the idea that a person can pray sickness away. Not that I think there is anything wrong with prayer, but I think that people of faith sometimes use it to abuse people or have false perceptions about bodies. Plus, once we all know we're destined to die, it puts things in perspective.

Just to put things in perspective: in the 15th century, Heinrich Kramer wrote the infamous Malleus Maleficarum, which is about witch hunting. One of the classic signs to find a witch is epilepsy. Associating bad faith with epilepsy is literally pre-Enlightenment. If I were you, I would move on from this church and find a place that loves you for you.

Just to put things in perspective: in the 15th century, Heinrich Kramer wrote the infamous Malleus Maleficarum, which is about witch hunting. One of the classic signs to find a witch is epilepsy. Associating bad faith with epilepsy is literally pre-Enlightenment. If I were you, I would move on from this church and find a place that loves you for you.

Also in the past people with epilepsy and had seizures, especially tonic clonics, were seen as being possessed by the devil and were killed because of it.

Back
Top Bottom