epilepsy and tonsillitis, opinions, views and experiences wanted :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all, hope your all doing well, well I suffer with tonsillitus, it had never ever been this bad usually clears up after about 3days (which is why I gave up going the doctors for treatment when I was younger) but not this time, I haven't eaten since thursday as I physically can't, it was only a week or so ago I had a sore throat, and it cleared up for a day or two then back with vengance! Point it I can't sleep properly coz I can't breath properly when I'm lying down, I can't eat at all ( and I'm jeffin starvin!) Its not just been the sore throat though, I've been sick, had a very high temperature, to the point where I'm drenched in my own sweat :( and really bad stomach pains! I'm useless as a mother at the minute and terrified this is going to start my seizures again! Lack of sleep, bad/no diet, and extremely varying temperatures! Has anyone else been like this and what's the treatment? I'm in no mood to be fobbed off by a doctor with some crappy antibiotics! Oh and another thing I can JUST about take my keppra tabs coz they are getting stuck my tonsils are that big! Can't cope like this, I'm crap at being ill in general but this is shocking iv been in tears in pain atleast once a day since thursday! Any advice or experiences, views and opinions welcome xx

That's sounds like no fun, I hope you feel better soon :(
All of the things you mention -- fever/low blood sugar/fatigue/breathing problems -- can be seizure triggers, so it's wise to be worried and do your best to get better soon. At some point, this may mean actually seeing a doctor. You can let them know that you don't want anitbiotics (those can be seizure triggers too), and ask what, if any, treatment options are left.

These may help, they've worked for me: Try sleeping propped up on pillows so you can breathe. Drink warm tea with honey and lemon, and try eating some plain chicken broth or miso soup -- those can help with your throat and your stomach. (If you don't eat, your stomach may feel pain because of excess stomach acid.) I don't know if this works, but some people recommend apple cider vinegar diluted with lots of warm water to help shrink the tonsils.

Thank you for replying, I got an emergency appointment with a gp this morning as I couldn't sleep last night, I think I've stolen every single pillow in the house haha! Oops! So giving up on going to bed and goin to try sleeping sat up on the couch...can't see this going to well ha! Doctor said its the worst case of tonsillitis she's seen, I'm on liquid penicillin and some liquid paracetamol, if they haven't done anything in three days then I need to go back, and if the breathing gets worse then to go to the hospital, at the minute I'm forcing water down going to attempt some soup later, but its knocking me sick drinking water :( she said she wants to do some tests if its gets no better to check that the pains aren't to do with my kidneys. My god I'm bloody starvin!! So gunna give these a go for three days (instead of the ten days they normally require you to take them for) and see where to go from there, thanks again for replying, would probably recover quicker if I could sleep...now there's a luxury haha (feels like it this week anyway) xx

good luck, I hope something kicks in soon to make you feel better! Just take little sips if water (or soup). Even s tiny bit can help.

It's better to take the antibiotics for the full prescribed length of time -- otherwise you can develop a resistance, and they are less effective in the future. (If the docs said only three days is okay, that's fine).

fingers-crossed, sleep well :hugs:

Yeh I'm going off the doctor saying three days, she said if I don't see any change then, then I probably won't see one at all so might aswel come back in 3-4days lol iv sent my mum a shopping list....of soups that don't have chunks or anythin in haha! Thanks again :) xXx

HAHA Im in that boat as I write this. Last night I tried to sleep sitting up on the couch because they are so swollen I cant breathe while laying down lol. I get tonsilitis frequently. since the age of 14, but they still wont take them out. *sigh* It does aggrevate my seizures and I am not sure if it is the lack of restful sleep that does it, or the illness itsself.

Yaaay! Wait no its not good that your in the same boat! Awful isn't it, well tonight best be better than the last few night been getting around 3 and a half hours a night, sad that I know but I'm always checking the time because I never want to get out of bed too early incase I wake my daughter up haha! This is the worst mine have ever been, I think if nothing works I'll consider takin them out myself! Lol! I looked on the nhs website (not much good to you but maybe there's a similar medical website stating the same) and theu said if it is recurring and causing problems to day to day life then they will more than likely operate, a lady said she printed that out and took it to her daughters gp as they wouldn't refer her for surgery either and they did after that, just an idea, hope ur feeling better soon hun xxx

Well iv forced down a few sips of chicken soup, was worth it but I'm in even more agony now! Boooo! Hope the meds kick in soon :) x

Got mine out about seventeen i think,best thing that ever happend to me.If you can persuade them to take them out then go for it,i can guarantee you that you will never regret it.

Last edited:
Well I was in tears by the time I got there at 11, its completely wiped me out for 4days so far, an I hate feeling useless! I have had to force myself to do things, I have a 3year old daughter who I need to care for, an everyone who I thought could help me, well just hasn't these past few days. I'm in agony off soup for christ sake haha! That's not normal, I think I am going to try to persuade them to remove them as I have always suffered with my ears and they are playing up again now with this xx

I was only in for about 24hrs,i could count the amount off colds i've had on one hand since i've had them out.Mind you i don't think they are to keen on taking them out these days.But best of luck to you.

I get this often, I have found Cold-EZE help me they come in sugar free also.

I can't take but 3, they have zinc in them and to much will bring on a seizure for me.

Hope you get to feeling better.

I know it can be considered an unnecessary surgery for a tonsillectomy but I had mine taken out at age 21 and have never looked back. In between the tonsilitis and strep throat and a mild case of sleep apnea they yanked them out for me and my colds are a lot easier to endure. I hope all works out for you soon. :hugs:

Thank you both for your replies, I don't think it would be too wise to buy any more meds just yet I have two different ones from the docs and two numbing antisceptic ones I bought otc, don't think there's anything that would react with anything else but best be safe an all that :) feeling a bit better this morning, boyfriend got up with our daughter this morning, so got a little bit of extra sleep after I'd stolen his pillow too! :) xx

Back
Top Bottom