Epilepsy and under the weather (not feeling well).

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Phoenix

New
Reaction score
Does anyone get seizures when they have a cold or sore throat or just under the weather?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Sure, anytime your body is under stress your seizure threshold goes down. The stress could be being sick, not getting enough sleep, to much partying, eating a bunch of junk, mental/emotional stress about whatever is going on in your life.

It's especially dangerous if you have a fever.

I personally can not say that I've ever noticed my seizures get worse for any particular reason, but some days are better than others. Not sure what causes my seizures or what makes them worse. I wish I knew so I could better prevent them.

Keeping a seizure journal can be helpful. It's a little tedious but you can start to see patterns emerge over time. Record what you eat and drink, what you did, how you slept, etc and other stress that might be going on in your world like an illness or breaking up with a significant other or losing a job or moving.

I agree about the seizure journal. I use Seizure Tracker, which is an online method to keep track of seizures, medications, and other things as well.

Yep, if I'm sick with anything beyond just a little cold I have an increase. Definitely worse if I have a fever. Like alohabird said, your seizure threshold is lowered. My neurologist said it's actually fairly common. If I'm sick I just take a super low dose of klonopin for a few days for the "extra coverage" and it seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom