Epilepsy and Work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

1: BEFORE epilepsy I was an on-site architect, but as I was newly qualified when diagnosed, and in UK you aren't EVER allowed on a building site if you have had a seizure after the age of 5, I wasn't allowed to continue and my company let me go as I couldn't fulfill my terms of employment any longer. AFTER epilepsy I worked in shops for about 4 yrs, until my seizures worsened and my doctor signed me off work 2 1/2 yrs ago.

2: to keep myself occupied, I read a lot, I look after my 3 kids, I see a lot of friends, I volunteer to listen to the children read at my local primary school, I come on here, I cross stitch, I handmake greetings cards, I play Mah Jongg a lot as well.....

3: I do believe that keeping myself busy does help, and I really miss working, but I have seizures without warnings and I personally wouldn't employ myself as there would be times that other members of the team I would be working in would have to cover for me if I've had a seizure, so I can understand why I can't work right now, but it still frustrates me sometimes.

Loudmouth:

it must be difficult to be where you are at, although you sound like you are filled with resignation. I am 52 and unemployed since May, can no longer work in my profession, and so far no one has given me a chance to start at bottom with my seizure brain. Fighting depression, but have good support system, how about you? Short on money and abundant with time.:pop:

Besides being a junior in high school (which I consider to be a job in itself)
I work at my Church. I work for the youth pastor. I answer phones, do whatever he asks me to pretty much. Its a fun job. I enjoy it.

Loudmouth:

it must be difficult to be where you are at, although you sound like you are filled with resignation. I am 52 and unemployed since May, can no longer work in my profession, and so far no one has given me a chance to start at bottom with my seizure brain. Fighting depression, but have good support system, how about you? Short on money and abundant with time.:pop:

thats a weird feeling to have to get used to isn't

while I was off of work, I used the time to focus on my art. Oh, the no money or transportation was deeply depressing. I wish everyone the best!

Not coping at work

1. job ?

sit in cube in front of computer and process applications as an environmental engineer making a decent living for the state

2. What you do on day-to-day basis ?

get up way too early, catch the bus, work, come home, and sleep the rest of the time, in between going from feeling like superman to being really depressed, when I know I am lucky enough to have a job.

3. work helps with your seizures ?

NO, too much stress, esp. with a foreigner for a boss and coworkers who treat me like crap, would rather stay at home.

Before epilepsy, I was a motorcycle tech and bicycle tech.
n501960468_12795_6892.jpg

since then. lots of off and on bicycle tech jobs. was a bouncer for a bit taught kids arts and crafts for a bit, clay and painting and stuff. most cases my epilepsy has been an issue, I was once told I was a danger to myself and others. In a few cases transportation was an issue.

my seizures are still every few days, they were up to several times a day, it still varies. My family asekd my not to get a job lately. but it means i have a lot of free time no money, and no sense of purpose. Tried volunteer work, but with seizures it can be difficult.

I am trying to make myself do things, get out more. it is easy to let your self sit in the bed for a few days when you dont have to do anything to.
I am trying to join a running group. and a scrabble group. keep both body and mind intact.

COurt

sounds like you are staying busy, trying to find activities to feel useful. Keep on doing what you are doing. There involves rejection on a whole lot of levels with this disorder. Trying to find a nitch is difficult, while trying to tame the beast within. Keep us informed on your progress and activities. :bigsmile:

the rejection was something to get used to, and actually put a but hurt on my self esteem. still working on it.

I totally agree. When I'm busy, I'm not as stressed out. And, physical exercise will drastically reduce stress, too. I also love puzzles or mental challenges. Work is just a way to get paid for them. My dog is also a great companion to help reduce stress. Studies have found that pet owners have lower stress. I suppose dog owners have to take their pets for a walk, which also releases endorphins, exposes us to sunlight more often and reduces stress hormones. A fresh perspective outdoors always gives me a better outlook.

Hello,
Thank you for your message. I'm trying to stay busy, but if I get to busy and don't take a nap during the day I seem to have a better chance of having a partial complex seizure. I also don't seem to be able to surf the web long-about an hour or so at a time. It can be frustrating.
You mentioned having a dog as a companion. What kind of dog is it? Is it a seizure dog? Do you know anything about these dogs-research, web sites, training and trainer availability?

Hi all
I used to own my own company in web development for 10 years after finishing university, i have been trying to get into the sector but i found the recession hit after 1yr of me leaving uni and the web had moved on while at uni, i did continue my business at uni too but it was hard, as for seizures they where not a problem at uni, it was in work when i had to work crazy hours and unfortunately i have to leave the industry, i have been trying to get into working in a library then i can work my way up, i think its my last shot. I keep getting told im over qualified and im forgetting some stuff and its very depressing applying daily i have to apply for ones i cannot travel too as im on this gov run program for unemployed, i hate being with employment and i want to grow in an organisation which respects their staff. I thought about doing retail to make it easier me to get a job because i would be able to get to the place mostly.

I wish there was an answer but I don't know, maybe i didn't do right doing computers at uni. I live in the outskirts of a city and that city has 16 IT jobs, IT is a huge sector so thats a small amount for a city and the transport to get there isn't frequent, i have asthma and a nut allergy too and desperately want to work, they all say over qualified or are scared ill go elsewhere after they train me, the only job i loved at a college said go elsewhere when they couldn't take me permanent (I wish it was that simple).

I used to before when I ran my own company but I found out I would soon have to go out and get sales, although when i did run my own company it was hard searching and bugging others for work and then doing it, i guess i want a bit of security.

Back
Top Bottom