Epileptic 'Gardeners' - better beware (I learned today)...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
For a minute today I thought I was about to seizure while I was out there pruning (dizzy spells where it looked like the ground was moving in 'waves' under my feet, heart palpitations, just a weird 'woozy' feeling), and this occurred right after I'd gotten stung by something. I couldn't find any stingers or thorns of any type stuck in my finger (and it felt like there were several in there) - but it itched, burned, the veins in my hand swelled up, and it stung for a couple of hours each time (got stung twice two days ago, too - only once today). It honestly felt like a bunch of needles were stuck in my finger, and then I noticed one of these on the underside of a leaf. I wondered, too, why the leaves were all curling and falling off...

http://www.gityasome.com/blog/wildkingdom/stinging-caterpillar/158.html

http://insects.about.com/od/butterfliesmoths/ig/Stinging-Caterpillars/Saddleback-Caterpillar.htm

http://www.suite101.com/content/saddleback-caterpillar-a24147

Omw, i

have NEVER seen such a thing until now! It gives a new meaning to looking out for things under the trees and leaves! (I'm not one to talk, I SAT on something similar on a trip recently.)

I hope you're doing well....Feel better soon!

Wow, that's a wee, ugly beastie! I knew there was a reason why I don't garden...

Well, I realized today that I still have an itchy raised rash on my one shoulder from the bites I got a few days ago. The one I got yesterday seems okay...

That is mind blowing, not so much that they sting, as I've encountered that a few times myself (major ouch). But wow, I've never seen a caterpillar like that before. In the first link, one image actually looks like the face of a squirrel. Pretty cool looking.

saddlebackPooping400x389.gif

Not so cool looking.

cupmo1.jpg

Treatment and Control

To treat irritations as a result of urticating caterpillars, remove all affected clothing and apply a piece of adhesive tape to each of the affected areas, then pull the tape off immediately. This will remove some of the hairs and irritants and reduce the full impact of the irritation. The use of analgesics, creams, antihistamines and lotions with steroids will also assist in relieving the symptoms.

Avoid handling any hairy caterpillars or material with which they have been in contact. Suitable protective clothing, including eyewear and gloves should always be worn when handling these insects. Most caterpillar infestations are usually short lived and should be left undisturbed, unless they are causing a problem, when intervention by a reputable pest control officer would be recommended. Many infestations will die out either through predation or when all food sources are exhausted. However, some preventative control measures should remain in place to guard against Mistletoe browntail infestations especially in or near school yards.

The removal of all mistletoe from Eucalypt trees within school yards or nearby areas before spring will prevent colonisation. Bare soil or mulching with pebbles at the base of existing eucalypt trunks will help deter pupation and resting of the caterpillar stage. Planting tree species that do not attract infestations, when shade is required in school yards or backyards, is another means of avoiding the problem.

Source: Department of Medical Entomology

Glad to read that you are feeling better today, elizzza. =)

Back
Top Bottom