Epsom Salt Study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MarkyMark

Reaction score
I read this over the weekend, anyone have any insight or opinion about this?

I might give it a go.

Oopps! Won't allow me to post website, still to new. Trying to post link to study. Anyway to get around this?

Yes, thanks MAB for posting. I have to post more I guess to have this ability. I'm looking for a clean form of Epsom Salt. One that has no additives. Not the Epsom salt from my pharmacy.

Mark

Oopps! Won't allow me to post website, still to new. Trying to post link to study. Anyway to get around this?

Hi Mark,

You have to post so many replies before your allowed to add links...patience ;)

A lot of people would prefer home remedies than taking proper meds and some have helped on many conditions...it's all down to each individual.

Thanks Tez, I will be patient. I do like looking into natural alternatives, I think studies like this are encouraging and for me this is what I'm looking for out of a website like this. I recognize many are not comfortable with this, but like you said it's up to each person.

If anyone has an opinion about the study, please post your comments.

Mark

Thank you for the post. I love gathering new information including all alternatives to the Big Pharma toxic options.

After months and months of not being able to control my myoclonic seizures, I finally have them almost 100% controlled and I'm virtually certain the difference was magnesium and calcium (low calcium can cause hyperexcitability too, and low levels of magnesium make it almost impossible to keep your calcium levels up). My myos were severe because I had clinical electrolyte imbalances and so I had to get those levels up--but I have stayed permanently on magnesium, calcium, and very high potassium from food sources (but I automatically deplete these electrolytes if I don't). What I do know is, I now am painfully familiar with the symptoms of low potassium, magnesium and calcium, and when those are low, I have seizures--when they are steady, I don't, even under stress and lack of sleep and other major triggers. I don't use Epsom Salts though--I take Magnesium Citrate, spread throughout the day to avoid diarrhea, to the highest recommended dose. Magnesium is considered a 'master electrolyte'--it controls the absorption and use of many of the others, so if it's clinically low, you can consume potassium and calcium all day and still struggle to keep your levels high--you will just excrete them. This has solved my myoclonic seizures and improved focal seizures, even discontinuing one of my meds--but it hasn't fully controlled focal seizures. At the same time, you need to follow guidelines because you can always get too high a level of any of these.

I will try the Magnesium Citrate as I have chronically low sodium levels and they think that might trigger some of my seizures, I add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of salt to a PowerAde drink every other day and still have low sodium levels and low blood pressure.

Hey MAB! One thing I do is drink V8--my neuro recommended that instead of gatorade or those sorts of drinks for rehydration and electrolytes because she said it is high in potassium (without using potassium salts, it just is naturally), and it's high in sodium too as well as a ton of other things. If your dr recommended PowerAde feel free to ignore, I thought I would pass along though as I think I recall you and I have the same kind of seizure pattern at times (recurrent SPs that come one after another for hours). I'm blazing sick to death of V8 since I have to have two a day (one regular and one low-sodium to keep the potassium level higher than sodium which I doubt applies to you) to keep my potassium high enough but I'm not going to argue with whatever has worked :)

Hey MAB! One thing I do is drink V8--my neuro recommended that instead of gatorade or those sorts of drinks for rehydration and electrolytes because she said it is high in potassium (without using potassium salts, it just is naturally), and it's high in sodium too as well as a ton of other things. If your dr recommended PowerAde feel free to ignore, I thought I would pass along though as I think I recall you and I have the same kind of seizure pattern at times (recurrent SPs that come one after another for hours). I'm blazing sick to death of V8 since I have to have two a day (one regular and one low-sodium to keep the potassium level higher than sodium which I doubt applies to you) to keep my potassium high enough but I'm not going to argue with whatever has worked :)

Yes Lindsay we have similar seizures. She didn't recommend any special drink just lots and lots of salt and that is the only way I can tolerate that amount of salt. I don't seem to notice the salt too much. I certainly can use the Magnesium Citrate for chronic constipation.

I think so, even though the level is still low it's not as low. It sure has helped the awful feet and leg cramps that I had every night. I complained so much they put me on muscle relaxers that did absolutely nothing. Now if I start to get cramps it's a reminder I need to add some salt to my drink. It almost instantly stops the cramps.

I'm starting to freak about the surgery I'm having on Wednesday. Worried it is going to set off the seizures. I don't know if I can handle the pain, cast, crutches and possibly seizures too.

If the main reason you’re looking for Epsom salt is because of this then please be very careful. This “study” was done by a single individual who if you look up will find out that he is an Anesthesiologist. This does not qualify him to speak on neurological, diet or any other such issues.
Procedures Dr. Wolf Performs: Dr. Wolf does not have any conditions listed.
http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-alexander-wolf-3t9tc/background-check#BackgroundCarePhilosophy_anchor

If you read the article you’ll see it says
Hirschfelder Recently reported Patients with low blood magnesium, who suffered from convulsions or muscular twitchings. Four Of these patients had kidney lesions. After single 20 to 25 gm. Doses of Epsom salt were administered by mouth to these four, the magnesium in the plasma rose almost to double the normal concentration within four to six hours, and the twitchings or seizures subsided. Hirschfelder concluded that convulsions are relieved by oral magnesium sulphate in patients with renal insufficiency.

First that says that it’s people with low magnesium that magnesium helps (nothing new there). It also says that it helped “seizures” & twitching from the low magnesium levels. Seizures & twitching from low magnesium levels is not the same as curing or even helping epilepsy.

They also manipulate the numbers a lot. They say
On this basis it may be said that 33 out of 57 cooperative patients benefited and 15 of 15 uncooperative patients did poorly under a salt regime.
They don’t say how many benefitted that were “uncooperative”. If someone is uncooperative then they shouldn’t be part of a study. I see this as trying to slant the statistics to give a false appearance of validity. Overall they’re saying that there were 72 patients (57+15) and out of that 39 (57-33+15) did poorly. 39 out of 72 is 54.16% that it didn't help. that’s not very good. Even if you want to go by their own numbers and ignore the 15 that don’t have more positive results, that’s only 57.9%. No scientist would say that 57.9% is good enough to claim that a cure works, never mind how they tried to slant the numbers.

I’d be very suspicious of this Anesthesiologists claim & don’t think that this study provides proof of anything.

Last edited:
Also, if you look at the bottom where the author cites the studies he's talking about they were all written between 1905 & 1934. The paper itself was written in 1936 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1039000/.

I'd say if someone has to go that far back & ignore more recent research then they are probably cherry picking data to support a preconceived viewpoint rather than presenting objective and accurate research.

Last edited:
Does not bother me at all that this paper was put out in 1934. Maybe such a study could never be done today since no one would profit from it. Who's talking about a cure? We are looking for alternatives that might aid us with our seizures and for each person that can mean many different things. Our current medical terminology never uses the word cure, they use "seizure control" and for someone who has 10 seizures a week, maybe cutting that down to 2 a month may mean control and thus a good treatment (for them at least)

The study is suggesting that 58% of those who cooperated had success, then I think that is really good! Particularly since what they are using really has no side effects. Loose bowels when over used, this would be easy to gauge and simple cut back.
I see no harm in trying such a treatment and I don't think anyone has ever died taking half a teaspoon of Epsom Salt with juice every morning.

Magnesium Sulfate is used today during certain medical conditions (such as seizures in pregnant woman) and even in heart attack victims, so perhaps this is not so outdated as some might want us to believe.

Mark

Does not bother me at all that this paper was put out in 1934. Maybe such a study could never be done today since no one would profit from it.
Anything that would cure epilepsy would have great profits. I’ve heard the “no profit” conspiracy for most all diseases that can’t be cured yet, and it makes no sense to me how the pharmaceutical industry can profit from some cures but not others.

The fact that it is from 1934 is just part of the problem, every test they cited said nothing to prove that it helped epilepsy was the main problem. One was only done or rats, another was on people whose problems were caused by a magnesium deficiency in another the numbers have been altered and had a success rate just slightly over a 50/50 chance-that is not good. These things are just some of the reasons I don’t feel the studies should be trusted. I could go on but if you feel comfortable taking Epsom salts then by all means go ahead. I just think it would be a bad idea to give this paper too much credence.

Who's talking about a cure? We are looking for alternatives that might aid us with our seizures and for each person that can mean many different things. Our current medical terminology never uses the word cure, they use "seizure control" and for someone who has 10 seizures a week, maybe cutting that down to 2 a month may mean control and thus a good treatment (for them at least)
I actually like the fact that the word “cure” is not used just for that plain fact that there is not one yet and it would be deceptive for medical people to imply there is. You seem to be implying dishonesty in the medical community by not discussing a “cure” yet I feel that this shows nothing but honesty.

The study is suggesting that 58% of those who cooperated had success, then I think that is really good! Particularly since what they are using really has no side effects. Loose bowels when over used, this would be easy to gauge and simple cut back.
I would never put my faith in any medication that had such a low success rate. That is only 8% over a 50/50 chance. I know if a company tried to sell a medicine with that success rate the FDA would never allow it and legal action would probably be taken.

I'm glad you're not getting any adverse reactions but I think you should have researched if there were any possible reactions other people might get before claiming it has no side-effects
Do NOT use magnesium sulfate if:

you are allergic to any ingredient in magnesium sulfate
you have a severe irregular heartbeat (eg, heart block) or if you are pregnant and expect to deliver the baby within 2 hours

Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you
Before using magnesium sulfate:

Some medical conditions may interact with magnesium sulfate. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:

if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
if you have kidney problems or too much magnesium in the body

Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with magnesium sulfate. However, no specific interactions with magnesium sulfate are known at this time.

Ask your health care provider if magnesium sulfate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/magnesium-sulfate.html

I see no harm in trying such a treatment and I don't think anyone has ever died taking half a teaspoon of Epsom Salt with juice every morning.
Don't assume something is safe because you've not had any problems with it.
CONCLUSION:

Our findings support the hypothesis that high doses of tocolytic magnesium sulfate are associated with increased perinatal mortality among fetuses and neonates weighing 700-1249 g.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10908759

I never said not to take it, what I did say was that I saw no reason to have any expectations that it would help seizures and to be aware of when it might be dangerous to take it (if pregnant or have heart issues).

Magnesium Sulfate is used today during certain medical conditions (such as seizures in pregnant woman) and even in heart attack victims, so perhaps this is not so outdated as some might want us to believe.
First off, when Magnesium Sulfate is used, it is in a concentrated solution & injected directly into the bloodstream. To assume that a less concentrated form will help when taken orally (which dilutes that even more) makes no sense. As well, when we ingest anything orally the blood/brain barrier would stop any excess supplement from getting to the the brain.

Eclampsia is very different from Epilepsy and is always caused by the same thing (childbirth) whereas epilepsy has numerous but very different causes. Just because something is used because a pregnant mother has a single seizure does not mean that it helps people with epilepsy. The fact that is used for other pathologies shows how it has been researched & yet there is nothing to imply that it helps people with epilepsy.

To say that because something works for heart attack victims that it would work for epileptics also makes no sense. By that logic maybe you should try Dexedrine, after all it works for people with ADD (which has as much relevance to epilepsy as heart attacks) & that gives Dexedrine validity so maybe it will help your epilepsy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom