Ever been too happy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
I have experienced a few times these really strange phases of giddiness.
I have woken up in the morning, and a couple times during the day over the past week when I have been really giddy.
Everything is amusing. I giggle.
I had the stomach flu and I was giggling and nursery rhymes were popping into my head and everything was hilarious.
It would last for 5 or 15 minutes and then I would have a seizure and sleep.

Is this a weird pre-ictal state? Is it the darn keppra?

I don't want to lose my grasp of reality even if it is in such a happy way.

Anyways. It's new. My seizures have evolved over 4 years and I'm terrified of them turning into tonic/clonics and when things change I get worried.

But hey, I know so many of you deal with t/cs and frequently and you're still around to tell your stories!

I havn't heard of that happening but I m not doubting is can't happen.
I know my doctor tol me that the brain is such a complicated organ in the body and doctors don't know a lot about it.
I'm sure I m not helping much but make an time to go see your doctor and try googleing it.

I am a happy person anyway but there have been times when I have started to laugh at something for no reason.

When I had my Video EEG in 2010 there were a couple of times when I started laughing for no reason & had trouble stopping. One time was when I was talking to a student from the hospital who was asking me questions about my epilepsy as part of his studies, after I answered 1 of his questions I just started to laugh. Another time was on the last day of my Video EEG monitoring, I was in the middle of having a sponge bath & I started laughing for no reason. We don't know if these laughing episodes that happened while I was in for my Video EEG were seizures or side effects from being on a much lower dosage of my meds.

Nakamova, you have just freaked the absolute crap out of me with that link. My son has always been prone to sudden out bursts of laughter. I've always figured it was just autism related. Now i'm wondering just what is going on, especially since he had an MRI at the age of 4 and all we were told is there were a couple of bright spots but not in areas of the brain you would associate with autism. I didn't ask more but I have often wondered about that.

It's ok, just something I had never heard of or considered. I must admit on further reading it sounds unlikely that it's not the case, but it does make me want to find out more about his MRI results. Maybe even have a chat with my neuro about the possibility of it. My boy has always laughed in his sleep and will often laugh randomly. I've always found it very cute.

Hey guys,

I have gelastic seizures and I get the confusion :) People are always like 0.o "Did you say a laughing seizure??"

I wouldn't use the word euphoric really, probably just the word everyone else uses with seizure, out of control? (If I had to pick a favourite seize though, I'd probably say it was a GS)

They do crop up 'just whenever' for me (cue countless embarrassing stories....lol) but I've noticed when I'm putting too much onto my schedule they happen more and more, so much so that I learned they can precede a TC for me.

Can't hurt to just talk to with your neurologist about it though, just get some more data.

Don't freak out though- like Nak said, I hear we're a pretty rare sort.

Back
Top Bottom