Everyone who has their seizures under control...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mspang

Stalwart
Reaction score
I have a question, how many meds do you have to take? And if you don't mind me asking what are they.

My seizure are pretty well controlled as I take 3 meds, which are:

Depakote 500mg 1/1
Lamictal 175mg 1/1
Felbatol 400mg 2/2

Thanks to all who answer! :)

Seizures relatively kept in good condition - down to couple a month.

Carbamazepine 400mg twice a day
Lamotrigine 200mg twice a day

Last edited:
Dilantin has completely controlled my grand mal seizures (T/Cs) for over a decade now. I also take Phenobarbital because my eeg's have always shown petit mal seizure activity although I only had one once that I know of.

Dilantin - 300 mg/day
Phenobarbital - 120 mg/day

I've been seizure free for 3 months now (that's by far the longest for the last 33 years!) after upping my lamictal from 400 per day, taken in two doses, to 650 per day taken in four doses.

Lamictal 650: 150 at 6 am, 150 at noon, 150 at 6 pm and 200 at bedtime (usually 10 or 1030)

Hopefully this Saturday 9/13 I'll be four months seizure free. :) The RTLS results are looking very good. :) But I am still taking my Trileptal 900MG AM & 1200MG PM. I'll
stay on the Trileptal for at least two more years.

Be careful not to compare apples and oranges

There are so many different degrees and combinations of disorders that combined with body size and weight, comparison of this sort is hard to make.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy around 1970, having both petit mal and grand mal seizures. I was first controlled in 1992. I then had 7 year stretch of being not totally controlled again, but have been controlled now for over ten years.

I take much higher doses than others listed here (in the interest of common sense, I won't be specific); these were felt both necessary and allowable by my neurologist.

There are so many different degrees and combinations of disorders that combined with body size and weight, comparison of this sort is hard to make.

:agree: Some can go seizure-free for months, even years and then seizures come back with vengeance. Mine were under control for 14 months after a left temporal lobectomy. But when they returned, they came back not only as CPs, but with TCs to accompany them.

So now I take 3000 mgs. Keppra
250 mgs. Topomax
100 mgs. Potiga

Plus, I have the VNS. And I haven't had a TC since 2005, but still have SPs and some CPs every 3-6 months. So, how is that for control?

Fully controlled

I stopped taking my Keppra (I was on only Keppra) a while back. My partials came back as t/c, so yes, with a vengeance.

2000 mg Keppra 2x a day
150 mg Vimpat 2x a day

I take:

Depakote 500mg - 1 in the am, 1 in the afternoon and 2 in the pm
Tegretol XR 400mg - 2 in the am, 2 in the pm
Keppra 750mg - 2 in the am, 2 in the pm
Lamictal 150mg - 2 in the am, 2 in the pm
Lamictal 25mg - 1 in the am, 1 in the pm
I also have a VNS

I have on average 7 complex partial seizures a month, maybe a few simple too. I usually have one TC a year. It's been like this for years.

Thankfully I am completely controlled for years. No seizures, nada, for over 4 years, and prior to that it was years since I had a seizure.

I've taken Dilantin in various doses for over 35 years, usually between 300-400 mg a day and always took at bedtime. I'm currently changing to Keppra XR and am on 1000 mg a day, and I'm taking the full dose in the evening around supper time. Getting ready to go to 1500 mg next week and if all goes well I will taper down and then off Dilantin.

When I was first diagnosed I was started on phenobarbital and then Dilantin was added because I wasn't controlled. Dilantin was magic for me. I have always been so very thankful because I know so many folks struggle.

I have been controlled for months
175mg lamotrigine twice a day
250mg of keppra twice a day with the view to get rid of the keppra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lamotrigine, 6.5 years, 175mg/day.
I think I'm one of the lucky ones.

How can guys handle so much medication!?

I guess I was lucky for a bit... Only recently had to go Keppra 2000 mg/day but now dealing with all the government & work complications

Last edited:
I think you just get used to it. I know my neuro wouldn't put me on all of it if I couldn't handle it. There have been times that he's changed some by dosages or even switched them to a completely different med.

I know when I pull out the meds I take in the evening some people think that is my whole day's worth of meds and I'm only going to pick out one or two pills from it. When they see me pop the whole load in my mouth they can't believe it and ask me if I take that much every day. That's when I tell them that's only what I take in the evening.

When my mates from the 90s see me take my pills they all shout "When I was a youth I used to bomb 5 Es in a Rizla". It's a sample from a very famous rave tune.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I just wanted to respond to valeriedl, ignore me :)

Lamtorigine 4 pills and Clobazam 4 pills :p they don't keep my seizures totally under control. Could you possibly check out my post?

Back
Top Bottom