Is Exercise good to do or is it risk of collapsing?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

niceguyVZ

New
Reaction score
I haven't done much exercise. I even have trouble moving around. When i try to move i feel really weak in the head feels like i'm about to faint.
So that's why i haven't done much exercise.
Should i or should i not?

In general, the answer is YES. We all need to exercise. However, many of us may have different needs and abilities than the average non-exerciser looking to become more active. I would recommend you consult your neurologist to first discuss your issues with weakness, and obtain medical clearance from him/her to exercise. Although expensive, you may do well to hire a well-qualified personal trainer (eg. ACE certified) familiar with chronic illnesses in order to get started. This doesn't mean you have to train with this person every time you exercise (but you can). Very often they will give you a fitness assessment and come up with a safe exercise program (weights, cardio, yoga, pilates, etc. - whatever suits your needs), and then after a couple of sessions with the trainer he/she may leave you to do the program on your own for a few weeks, and then you'd see the trainer again for a session for modifications of the program, new exercises, etc.

In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with doing some gentle stretching to keep limber and to keep the neuromuscular connections active. Just be sure to have a warm bath or shower first to warm up your muscles. Many stretches can be done lying on the floor or in a seated position.

My neurologist recommends that I walk for about 30 minutes a day.

You can start out with just 15 minutes a day until you feel better.

You do have to find out what is causing your feeling of faintness from your doctor first.

I would personally minimize your exercise activities... I would never bench press for example or put myself into a compromising position with equipment that should I have a seizure may seriously harm or kill me... but because it's an alternative risk we have to take everyday anyway... maybe take a walk around a padded gymnasium if there's one around? Walk in the park? I would shy away from the equipment though because if in crisis and having a TC, you could seriously and very badly harm yourself with it... so low impact low-risk exercsie like yoga or something too might be good... just stay away from the metal...

At the minimum get up and move more often. Go for a walk. Keep that blood flowing properly.

I get up I walk everyday .Since I don't work I walk my dog a lot and do other exercises.

I walk for exercise. If I'm outside there's someone with me. When I'm home I have a tread mill. It has a 'safety attachment', if that's what you call it. I clip it onto my pants and if I were to fall off the tread mill it pulls it's self out of the machine and stops it from moving. Luckily I've never had to use it.

i run from the cops for exercise

rule 1 more cardio !!

Back
Top Bottom