Exercising with E.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mr.21T

New
Reaction score
Today my friend had his third seizure playing basketball with our group of friends. Basketball is somewhat of a ritual when we all get together, but he had a seizure in the middle of our fourth game.

He also had one when we went to the gym about four months ago. He went against my advice and had a seizure luckily in the designated stretching area.

Today while riding back home he asked, "What can I do to stay in shape?" I was a bit at a loss because I swim, but my seizures aren't nearly as frequent as his and it isn't as dangerous for me as it potentially could be for him.

Thought this may be a good topic to throw around ideas for my buddy and people in a similar situation.

Depends on the type of seizures you have. If you have seizures that are focal or simple partial type, you probably don't have to worry too much. But if you have generalized seizures then there is the very real risk of injury from falling. I couldn't imagine swimming unless there is a lifeguard around to respond quickly. The risk of drowing is simply too high.

Until I got put on keppra exercise was actually an excellent stress reliever for me (which is great if your seizures are triggered by stress) and I would visit the gym up to 6 times a week because of how great it made me feel. Unfortunately now due to not being able to eat hardly anything I know it wouldn't be safe for me in the gym, since I would likely faint and wouldn't be able to gain any muscle due to lack of protein anyhow. I do plan to go back once my meds are adjusted/changed/or I wean myself off if that turns out to be the right decision and I am able to fuel my body properly again. I think the safest option would be walking with a companion in case something happened, or maybe some body weight exercises and/or yoga in an open grassy area, again, with a companion to keep an eye on you. There are some great apps for your phone for body weight exercises so you won't need any gym equipment, which can be dangerous to be around as an epileptic since you don't want to land on any of it if you have a seizure.

Today my friend had his third seizure playing basketball with our group of friends. Basketball is somewhat of a ritual when we all get together, but he had a seizure in the middle of our fourth game.

He also had one when we went to the gym about four months ago. He went against my advice and had a seizure luckily in the designated stretching area.

Today while riding back home he asked, "What can I do to stay in shape?" I was a bit at a loss because I swim, but my seizures aren't nearly as frequent as his and it isn't as dangerous for me as it potentially could be for him.

Thought this may be a good topic to throw around ideas for my buddy and people in a similar situation.

I'm guessing your friend has no warnings . . . this can make it tough, but not impossible, to stay in shape. If he is by himself, exercising in an area free of obstacles like benches and weights, and on a mat, is the smart thing to do and there are many body-weight exercises out there he can research and learn how to do. When he is with a friend such as yourself who is very familiar with his seizures, he may be safe to use the exercise machines but if his seizures are fairly frequent he may need someone to stay with him throughout the machine exercise. I personally wouldn't recommend free weights at all until his seizures are better controlled.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, and sometimes certain sports have to be put on hold until seizures are better controlled. I can't really do what I would like to do, but it's for the best. I found that things like Yoga and Tai-Chi were nice. They can be set at whatever pace you want, as you feel better you can always make these exercises more intensive.

Also countless videos on youtube or DVD's exists to teach anyone how to practice. So price is no real issue, and Yoga can really keep anyone in shape. Just some advice and hope he can start feeling better.

I would not recommend weights but I saw documentary about young boy who had bad bad e and weight lifting best thing he ever did it would abort a seziour.
I myself recommend yoga

I wonder if your friend is vulnerable to “stretch” syncope as a seizure trigger. It can occur if you're stretching with your neck while standing (as you might do during basketball or general stretching exercises). It seems to be related to the decrease in overall blood pressure (from straining/stretching) combined with with decrease in blood flow to the brain (caused by the compression of the vertebral arteries). If this is the case, then some kinds of yoga might not be great.

It sounds like it would be ideal if your pal makes sure to exercise with a buddy, at least until he gets a sense of how his brain and body will react.

Back
Top Bottom