exposure to bleach

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Have any of you ever experienced a seizure after being exposed to bleach fumes. I know that sounds weird, but I was using diluted bleach (wearing masks) outside this a.m. & suddenly felt like I was going to seizure. I had 2 fans running to take the fumes away from me. I felt ill for couple hours before the feeling passed. Is it possible to have seizure from chemicals?
thanks.

interesting, I make sure no chemical (nor perfume, ANY clean air stuff as just seems wrong) fumes are in our house for my Son with E, because me without E can feel it 'doing 'something to me, like it sets me off track....potent.....

I have no chemicals or scented products in my home. I use natural cleaning products because I am sensitive to them. The sidewalk outside my door has mildew & mold & bleach is the only thing I thought would clean it. I should have known not to do it. Never again!

I've never had any problems with bleach or anything like that, but I've had problems with mold.

I've always been sensitive to all kinds of mold, and I've found that being exposed to it tends to increase my simple-partials quite a lot. It's probably my own sensitivity, but it's something to at least consider as another possibility.

I've never had a problem with bleach and I used to have a baby lamb in my lounge room that I cleaned up after EVERY DAY FOR A MONTH with bleach. No probs. However I see no reason why it couldn't be a trigger for other people. If it feels bad, don't do it.

I wonder if it's the bleach or the mask. Anything over your face will change how you breathe as you are recycling more expired air to the next breath. So either the oxygen content of your blood will be lower, CO2 higher and or pH different (uh, more acidic/Lower I think??) than without a mask, or you will have to make more effort in breathing, possibly hyperventilating to compensate? You also normally remove excess heat with expired air, which will be restricted with a mask, so you may be subtly overheating too. I've worn masks for protracted periods in the past, and while they never made me feel lightheaded or ill, it was sure nice to take it off and get "normal" fresh air again.

Back
Top Bottom