Extreme mood swings are driving me and everyone around me insane

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had the same side effects as you I hated it and almost quit it on my own. Everything made me angry, I lost interest in everything and became apathetic to everything. I'm on 1500 mg 2 times daily. It took about six months for the anger and temper to subside but I still have no energy or drive. It as if nothing motivates me. I have tle left side I was diagnosed in 1995 but have had it my whole life looking back. When I would have a tonic clonic seizure I usually would lose memory but since keppra I don't have as bad postical problems. Although 4 years ago I had multiple seizures that left me in a Coma for 5 days and lost 13 years of memory including my children growing up. Thats when I started Keppra. I still don't have much of a short term memory and have trouble finding words. Enough about me if you can tough it out it might have benefits as it has for me but the first 6 months was hell.

That sounds absolutely horrible and I can't imagine living through that. I've already decided that keppra isn't worth it for me. My worst year I had maybe 4 seizures and that was while medicated (lamictal) and the past few years they have been less frequent while off medication, I just don't think it's worth it for me in my case. I have started to carefully wean myself off and already feel a million times better. Now I get up, get dressed, wash my dishes, am able to eat a small meal once a day without puking, don't lay in bed crying all the time, and don't have the mood swings. I can definitely understand why someone with more frequent seizures would choose to continue taking medication though.

I toying with wanting come off it..i moved from London where I was treated and gone without seeing nurolgist about 6yrs I hate going to hospitals...how are you weaning off it at what dose..i thinking about droping either morning of evening and over what perid of time..I Know we all different but I get some idea how others are doing it...I sick to death of drugs

So, I'm not a doctor so no one yell at me please, but this is how I'm doing it. I was prescribed 500 mg keppra 3 times daily at mealtimes (yeah right who can eat on this) for a total of 1500 mg daily. I dropped it down to 2 doses that I take at 10 A.M. and about 4:00 P.M. and will follow this dosage for 2 weeks. After that I will drop down to one dose midday for two more weeks, then half a dose until I run out of pills. I think that should be safe, but like I said, I'm not a doctor and I don't have as serious of a case as others here.

it lamitcal I take..I think they similar..i take 250mg morning and night plus clobzam..I not going stop cloberzam just lamitcal..I also not a doc but I think most of us are twigged up more than many doctors I aint a yelling:)besides can always go back on it if problems..hope no one going yell at me...

it lamitcal I take..I think they similar..i take 250mg morning and night plus clobzam..I not going stop cloberzam just lamitcal..I also not a doc but I think most of us are twigged up more than many doctors I aint a yelling:)besides can always go back on it if problems..hope no one going yell at me...

Oh God I hated lamictal too, it was almost as bad as the keppra, just minus the anger. I really have a hard time trusting doctors, they get wined and dined by all these pharm reps to push pills...I know a lot of people probably won't agree with me, but I used to work at a fine dining restaurant for a couple years. Every week we would be booked for pharm rep presentations where the docs coming all got a free fancy dinner, all the booze they could drink, etc. By the end of the night they would be all buzzed and cheerful and ready to hawk the new pill of the week. I know, not all doctors, but still...I am more comfortable with natural methods.

So, I'm not a doctor so no one yell at me please, but this is how I'm doing it. I was prescribed 500 mg keppra 3 times daily at mealtimes (yeah right who can eat on this) for a total of 1500 mg daily. I dropped it down to 2 doses that I take at 10 A.M. and about 4:00 P.M. and will follow this dosage for 2 weeks. After that I will drop down to one dose midday for two more weeks, then half a dose until I run out of pills. I think that should be safe, but like I said, I'm not a doctor and I don't have as serious of a case as others here.
My doctor is weaning me off the Valproic acid. I'm on 4 X 250 mg /day. He has me cutting that by one pill, 25%, once a month.

Not saying either is right or wrong. Just another reference point.

You are getting off of 2 medicines, not just one? Am I right or wrong? One the doctor is taking you off of it.

Keppra you are taking yourself off of it, am I right or wrong?

Getting off of two medicines at the same time can cause seizures, maybe even cause you to go into status.

You have to talk to your doctor and let him/her know what you are doing and why.

Ruth, I think you're mixing up what is happening with Mommymela and what is happening with me.

Each of us is getting off of one medication (different ones). We were just talking about how fast or slow to go when doing this so I was telling her what my doctor said about mine.

I know her situation is different. She doesn't have a doctor who will listen about the horrible side effects she is having. She is going it on her own because she has no other choice.

Everybody says, "Check with your doctor first" and that is very sensible but some doctors you either can't get an appointment for ages and the side effects are really horrible right now or if you finally do get to see them, they won't listen to your concerns.

I don't blame Mommymela for taking her health decisions into her own hands one bit.

You are getting off of 2 medicines, not just one? Am I right or wrong? One the doctor is taking you off of it.

Keppra you are taking yourself off of it, am I right or wrong?

Getting off of two medicines at the same time can cause seizures, maybe even cause you to go into status.

You have to talk to your doctor and let him/her know what you are doing and why.

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I'm only getting off keppra. I wish I could have gotten in touch with a neuro but I ended up talking to an online doc instead who gave recommendations on how to lower my dosage.

Hi mommymela,

Yes, I am talking to you as someone I can talk to one on one.

I thought you said that you were getting off of Valporic Acid with a doctor's help. Sorry if I was wrong.

Be careful with online doctors. They could have a doctorate degree in Philosophy. I would not trust an online doctor. You don't know anything about them. Go to a neurologist and get help from someone you can really trust.

I wish I could have, guess my neurologist didn't want my business because despite multiple calls and messages I didn't hear anything back, so I gave up. I'm not concerned, although I did talk to a doctor online I have self weaned before and I'm doing it slowly and carefully. I feel amazing and know this was the right decision for me. I appreciate your concern though, it means a lot. <3

Do you have a regular doctor who can refer you to another neurologist? If you do not, go to the ER and ask for one. They will refer you to a neurologist.

I have to get off of 2 medications, gabapentin (Neurontin) and Keppra. They both can cause kidney problems. I am starting to have kidney problems. I have been on both of them for over 12 years.

She is starting with Gabapentin, she has taken me off of 2 of them now. She hasn't said anything about getting off of Keppra.

Age is a factor between both of us. I am 72 years old and you look like you are in your 20's. When I was in my 20's, I had no problem getting off of medicines. I only did it with a doctor's help.

A neurologist is what you need, badly. They make medicines a lot stronger now than they did when I was younger.

An online doctor might not even be a medical doctor. You can get a doctorate degree in any field of work.

I care for you and want you well and with us. You can go into status epilepsy. That is where you have one seizure after another until the doctor's can either stop the seizures or you die. I have had status seizures and my husband has been told that I was going to die.

My point is, I have made my decision and am much happier and feel so much healthier on a lower dose of keppra, and will continue to slowly wean myself off. I have said repeatedly that this is my decision...so...not sure what else to tell you. I appreciate your concern but I am fine.

I am glad that you feel a lot better. I did not know that before.

Keep me updated. You are right, the decision is yours.

I have been on Keppra at your dose for a few weeks too. The doctor did not explain the mood swings or rage that could occur but since taking it my family says I am irritable and moody. You should definitely talk about getting off it I am as well as changing docs if I can . Good luck to you.

I'm almost off, just a couple more weeks! I feel so much better! So glad I fired that doc.

mommymela, I am glad that you are all right from the storm. :hugs:

What are you going to take after you are off of the Keppra?

Back
Top Bottom