Extreme thirst

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have extreme thirst in their throat? It's not in my mouth, only my throat. My mouth isn't dry. I don't know if this could be related to epilepsy or some meds I am on or something else but it is starting to be a big problem. It is all I think about.

I guess I will be calling my primary care doctor tomorrow.

Does it feel like you have cotton in your throat???

Yes and sometimes sandpaper. I went through 6 bottles of water after lunch and a large mount of ginger ale too.

My nuero told me when I saw him a month and a half ago, to start sucking on something like sugar free icebreakers because my mouth was so dry (from meds) that it would start effecting my teeth very badly. My throat was dry too and I had a hard time swallowing occasionally. I keep these with me all the time now and boy does it help. I do think they are expensive but its worth it. :)

Chewing gum? Seriously?!? Ice Breakers? Seriously?!? Cmon guys that stuff is horrible for you! and especially the "sugar free" kind because it most likely contains ASPARTAME...a toxic chemical...cmon guys seriously...there's gotta be better/healthier alternatives...don't rot your teeth/brain...and just because your doctor told you something doesn't make it right...most doctors will treat you like you're stupid if you let them...you gotta learn to think for yourselves...

and MAB you seriously need to find out what is going on...too much water in your system is just as bad as not enough...and why the hell are you drinking soda?!? STOP DRINKING SODA...IT DEHYDRATES YOU!!! :rolleyes: omg

Last edited:
I'm always thirsty. I've never really noticed if it's in my throat or mouth that is causing it.

I bet I drink at least half a gallon a day if not more. It's usually water or crystal light. I don't drink that much soda.

My husband complains about how much toilet paper we go through. Because I'm drinking so much I'm peeing about twice an hour.

Lol I only drink water nothing else...there's is also plenty of water in the good foods I eat...

and yeah with the tp thing...I'm a busy eater/drinker lol gotta be healthy and fit! :D

Last edited:
and MAB you seriously need to find out what is going on...too much water in your system is just as bad as not enough...and why the hell are you drinking soda?!? STOP DRINKING SODA...IT DEHYDRATES YOU!!! :rolleyes: omg

:agree: Extreme thirst could possibly be something serious like diabetes, so please check with with your dr. And STOP drinking so much soda. It is not good for you.
Are you extremely tired and is your vision blurry also? These are also symptoms of diabetes.
Or you could be dehydrated, causing you to be extremely thirsty.

Lol some people just don't know...you have to educate them :)

:agree: Extreme thirst could possibly be something serious like diabetes, so please check with with your dr. And STOP drinking so much soda. It is not good for you.
Are you extremely tired and is your vision blurry also? These are also symptoms of diabetes.
Or you could be dehydrated, causing you to be extremely thirsty.

I am tired> I was in bed at 5:20pm but I am chronically tired. My vision is blurry but I think it's from the lamictial.
I with give the doctor's office a call this morning. My favorite physicians assistant is in on Monday Maybe I can see her..

I am tired> I was in bed at 5:20pm but I am chronically tired. My vision is blurry but I think it's from the lamictial.
I with give the doctor's office a call this morning. My favorite physicians assistant is in on Monday Maybe I can see her..

It more than likely is the Lamictal, but it wouldn't hurt to call your dr. anyway. Here is a partial list of side effects from Lamictal:

http://www.drugs.com/lamictal.html
Less serious Lamictal side effects may include:

tremors, dizziness, tired feeling;
blurred vision, double vision;
loss of coordination;
dry mouth, mild nausea, stomach pain, upset stomach;
changes in your menstrual periods;
back pain;
sleep problems (insomnia); or
runny nose, sore throat.

It more than likely is the Lamictal, but it wouldn't hurt to call your dr. anyway. Here is a partial list of side effects from Lamictal:

Thanks Cint. I am calling my doctor. No sense calling the neuro. Ir takes months to get in to see her although she is very good at returning calls

Remember...no more soda or junk...please be smart and treat your body and mind with the respect and love it deserves...

You're welcome btw :)

Last edited:
Remember...no more soda or junk...please be smart and treat your body and mind with the respect and love it deserves...

You're welcome btw :)

MrE, I have pretty much given all my vices up except this one. I can't seem to quit. I stopped for a couple months and thought about it every day.

MrE, I have pretty much given all my vices up except this one. I can't seem to quit. I stopped for a couple months and thought about it every day.

I really don't drink soda but there are times that I just want to drink something 'bubbly'. I'll go ahead and have a can of something, usually sprite, then I'm good to go.

Have you tried eating fruit instead of junk? Most fruit is sweet, just like junk, but better for you.

I really don't drink soda but there are times that I just want to drink something 'bubbly'.

All carbonated drinks are terrible for your kidneys...but if you absolutely must a bottle of fizzy water for a treat is okay...on occassion!

Soda was never originally meant to be something to consume in large amounts...it's original purpose was actually medicinal and in very SMALL amounts...but anytime greedy companies take over something this is what happens...people are slowly converted until you have the "likes moths to a flame" effect...this is what the companies hope to achieve...turning people into mindless drones...

The only "functional" purpose soda serves is cleaning messes because of it's acidic properties...most people don't take the time to think about what they are actually putting in their body...a form of psychological conditioning but also because of the addiction to excito-toxins (processed sugars, chemicals, syrups, etc....)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom