Eyeballs/lids that jump around?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
:roflmao:

I realize that sounds a little strange.

But now, I notice when I close my eyes, my eyes and lids are still moving around.

I just tried to take a nap and couldn't...my eyes stayed active for 40 mins and I just gave up. :p

Anyone else have this?

My guess is it has something to do with Lamictal..???

hmm eyelid myoclonia , and there is another type of seizure where your eyes move back and forth. i think its a simple partial but dont remember.

Last edited:
No, it

doesn't sound strange, really. I've heard weirder over the years. I'm on Lamictal, too, but I don't have that problem.

I've been having this weird TWITCHING going on underneath my left eye now for over a year........and I've only been on Lammy for about 6 months.....I think.

hmm eyelid myoclonia , and there is another type of seizure where your eyes move back and forth. i think its a simple partial but dont remember.

Hmm, I just googled that, thanks. But that seems a little different. This didn't start til I began the meds 2 1/2 months ago. They just seem to jump to all different directions. This usually happens the whole time I am awake, everyday. It's not so much an issue at bedtime, since I am already pretty sleepy.

If it was a type of seizure, would it be happening so often, lasting so long?

I occasionally get this feeling where if feels like the muscles behind my eyes are really tight as though I'm cross-eyed. I check the mirror & I'm not but my powers of observation seem to lessen.

I don't know if it's the seizures or the meds but the only way to get rid of it is to take a nap.

I have congenetal nystagmus or involuntary eye movements which causes the muscles to move too slowly- but because a normal eye moves so fast, most people cannot see it. But with Nystagmus our eyes moves so slow that people can see it- which usually looks fast due to jerkiness side to side.
Some AEDs can cause Nystagmus but usually they would like to change meds if it causes that because it could be a sign of toxicity. Check with neuro though.

i get alot of weird eye twitches kinda like spasms and i've been on lamictal but thats a new one on me!
it may or may not be linked to your meds as far as i know, maybe a bit more research is in need?

www.askapatient.com

Rebecca had a lot of odd side effects from her meds. Since being off of them for over a year, she has not had anything similar.

Hi Robin- I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for on your link? I did click on the name of the drug and found feedback...???

Hi epileric- I tried to take a nap but my eyeballs/lids wouldnt settle down. This happened for the whole 40 mins...

Maybe I need to read more on the nystagmus stuff. Even just now when I closed my eyes it was happening.

Are peoples eyes really still when they''re shut? I can't imagine. :p

This is so weird. Wish I could involuntery exercise the rest of my body as easily. :roflmao:

Lol

Wouldn't that be the bomb? We'd DEFINITELY be able to keep in shape then!!!

When I was on Dilantin I had the problem with nystagmus, whether my eyes were open or shut. I was on too high a dose. You should check with your neurologist about this.

Yes, awake it does as well. Darting back and forth so fast no one notices but me.

Ahhh

I get this sometimes and sometimes when it happens I will start to see random pictures (flashing very fast) behind my eye lids, eyes closed. This for me is a warning that I will probably seize in my sleep.
I've wondered about the whole eyes darting back and forth and the only thing I can think of is the brain is still stimulated and your eyes are simply trying to keep up or feed the dragon with some visual stimulation. If our brain is wide awake than perhaps so are our eyes and I think the darting is because we're forcing them to close when perhaps they want to be wide open.
O.K. so I'm probably way off and it's the medication, but it's just some of thoughts that I've had about it from my own experiences.

OH

Forget my theory since it happens to you while awake. I would venture to guess it's the meds.

Back
Top Bottom