Febrile Seizure Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cordero

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone know of someone who has had a febrile seizure as an infant and has grown out of it or never had another seizure again? Does anyone know of someone who has epilepsy now as a result of having a febrile seizure?

My brother had a febrile seizure when he was 1 and 1/2, and never had another seizure again. (He's 43, very healthy, never even has migraines).

The other day my niece had a fever of 103.9 and collapsed, hit the tile floor, and had a seizure. We're not sure if the seizure was from the fever or the concussion she may have gotten when she hit her head on the tile floor. She's 16 months and the doctors didn't want to do a CAT scan because she's too young. But if the seizures come back they said they will. It was so scary for my sister-in-law to see her daughter have a seizure. I'm glad your brother hasn't had any problems from the febrile seizure.

I had two febrile seizures as a toddler. Started having simple partials in my early 40's (I think that's when it was, may have been earlier, but I was trying to ignore them, in total denial). Had a tonic clonic at 48 (three years ago) and was put on Keppra. I haven't had any more t/c's and have had only a couple "wanna-be" auras since being on the medication. I don't know whether or not the febrile seizures had anything to do with adult seizure activity. My neuro wasn't the best in terms of seizures, or even answering many questions, and I am now being followed by my GP. I read that only 2% of children with initial febrile seizures go on to develop epilepsy in later life.

I had a 2hr long febrile seizure as a baby and I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 3 years old. I had 2 grand mals and mostly complex partials till age 15, then a 10 year break with only the occasional aura. I'm now back on medication and having occasional t/c's but mostly simple and complex partials. It may have been the febrile that caused my epilepsy but I was also deprived of oxygen at birth so who knows...

I had febrile seizures as an infant untill about the age of 5. Seizures came back at age 18. Have delt with them ever since. My daughter had febrile seizures as an infant. She is autistic. No seizures since then. The closer she gets to 18 I worry that they may come back to haunt her.

Cordero - speaking from the opposite side of the same coin. I never had febriles when I was an infant or toddler. But I have epilepsy now. Something that had been explained to us when I did my EMT certification was that normally (normally being stressed because well its used as a standard and nothing more) an infant or toddler may have febriles and out grow them. If she hasn't had seizures when she hadn't had a fever I wouldn't worry too much yet.

I had 2 febrile seizures before I was a year old. And as far as we know, nothing til this January when i starting having grand mals at 47 years old. One neurologist said they were connected, one said maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom