A few questions RE: medication interactions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Today started off really crappy. I woke up with sinus congestion, which led to a sinus headache, and then a migraine.

I know I'm not supposed to take decongestants because they can decrease the effectiveness of AED's. So that's why I held off as long as possible and ended up with the migraine. Needless to say, when the migraine hit, I gave in and took a decongestant and an Imitrex tablet for the headache.

And ta-da! Like magic, I had a complex-partial within 2 hrs. :paperbag:
Some of you know I'm a stay-at-home mom with a toddler. He was in my lap one minute drinking his morning apple juice out of his sippy cup, and the next thing I know, I'm in the kitchen! :roll: Having seizures when alone with him makes me a nervous wreck. So I did what I had to do, I called my mommy :p

My question is this: Any suggestions for alternative sinus meds. or natural treatments? Also, I've also been taking meds. to settle my stomach, these also alter the rate that my meds. are metabolized. :| Any input?

Basically, I'm frustrated, and in need of some support and ideas from those of you with a brain today...mine is temporarily out-of-order. :agree:

As always, thanks for the support. -Julie

Curious what is going on with your stomach Julie?

Hi Julie,

Hope you are feeling better, you poor girl!! It is bad enough with sinus congestion and throw a seizure on top of it. I feel so bad for you!
It is funny, because I have always avoided all decongestants and benedryl.
I guess my body just knew. I felt terrible if I had to use benadryl!! I always try anything homeopathic..the things our Mom's and Grandmas did. Hot tea and honey, sucking on mentol cough drops helps me alot. Saline drops/spray for the nasal passages. Also, mucinex (Plain) without decongestants, helps thin out secretions..drinks lots of water with it. Also try a neti pot. If you can use it. Millions of people swear by it and my husbands ent's recommend them as well. It basically runs saline(salt) water through your sinuses..cleaning out any allergen, germs and helps with inflammation. Dr. Mehmet Oz recommends it as well..it is interesting and has been used for many, many yrs. in other cultures. Just a few ideas to try. Also, a warm shower or bath when your husband or Mom are with you. That always helps a bit. I hope you feel better! I was so glad to get rid of the bug we all had here..I still have a bit of the cough. Take care of yourself!!!
Michelle

I avoid cold medication because I have glaucoma. I apply a warm damp dishtowel (don't laugh!) across my eyes. If you're daring, and your kid is not near you, you might want to breath in steam from a cup of tea.

And, if I'm desperate, I pinch the pressure points..one is right at the top of your nose, two pressure points are on your temples, and there is a pressure point right under each ear.

I hardly got any more sinus infections after we got a dishwasher.

And, keep in mind that you can't fall from the floor. And that stuff echinachia used for colds is not good for epilepsy.

I use Flonase to keep my sinuses clear. It's requires a prescription but it doesn't cause seizures or interact with the AED's.

I use

Mucinex (the plain version) religiously. Otherwise I have chronic sinus infections....and I can't go under to have the surgery to fix my sinuses, so I'm stuck on it. And it works, VERY well.

And so far, it causes no problems with my meds......

Thanks everyone for the suggestions to help ease my sinus problems! :)

I always struggle with how a drug will interact with the medications I'm taking. Despite my loath for meds., I have to take 24 pills each day. My priority is my controling my seizures. So, I usually just "deal" with whatever else is bothering me to avoid pumping more medication into my body and possibly raising the risk of increasing my daily seizures. :e::agree:

Take care. -Julie

Last edited:
This will surprise you!

You can do what Acupuncturists recommends,
by taking two fore fingers and pressing on the
nostrils, one finger on each side, and just slightly
above your nose opening but just above the fleshy
part but before the hard area, put pressure there
and hold for 20-30 seconds (20 seconds for smaller
nose - 30 seconds for larger nose). And do this
2-3 times a day, and it really works!

It also works with those with allergies, sinus congestion,
hayfever, and other types. Give it a try, you will be
surprised, and it doesn't cost you anything! Chinese
had been using this along with herbal tea for curing
the "cold" and "nose" problems.

It doesn't really "cure" it, but it does make it go away!

The acupressure Brain suggests works well to clear your head. I use it all the time. The only OTC cold medication I could tolerate was 1/2 dose of Day Quil. NEVER Night Quil. A full dose (2 caplets) caused seizures but 1 caplet eased the symptoms enough to be functional and no seizures. But that was me, don't know if it would work the same for you.

Also, just before bedtime I would give myself a shot of a 12 hour nasel spray. I just cannot sleep with a plugged head.

Sitting in the bathroom and running a hot shower to get the room steamy helps sometimes especially if it moves down into your chest.

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback!

I've been just miserable with my sinuses lately. It's not like me to (w)itch over the little things, but I am SO tired of these sinus headaches and constantly wondering how one medication will affect another.

Take Care my friends. :) -Julie

Though it is a prescription med, Astelin is a nasal spray that is basically a salt water. It works VERY well for me when allergies kick in. I have not found any contraindications with it.

Try a sinus wash/rinse....you can get the old fashioned neti pot, or the newer ones that you can squirt up your nose....it's basically a saline rinse.

Back
Top Bottom