Filing for disability

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Beanogirl

New
Reaction score
I filled out my application in June. I got a call from a ss rep today so she could get more medical information. She said they will request my records from my doctors and send me some more forms. Does anyone have any idea how long this process takes? How long before you got denied or approved from the time you sent in your application. I'm drowning in medical bills!

From what I hear, the first denial can come in as little as 4 months. Same with the second denial (the appeal). Then the third appeal will be an appearance before a judge. This could take up to 2 years from start to finish.

Some people hire an attorney to help them. The maximum fee is $5000, which they take out of the SSI back pay. (If you are approved, they pay you from the day you applied. Nice check.)

My initial date of application with a lawyer was January 2010 and I will have a video hearing before a judge on Aug 15,2011. However,the lawyer said i had to have a diagnosis and been out of work for a year. So I had a stroke in June 2008 but could not go back to work because of all these missing periods of time,etc...and took til Nov 2008 for a "loose" diagnosis that became confirmed over the year time period requirement. So even if I finally get approved Id have waited over 3 yrs--I hope you have better advice than what I got.

Ya I got a back pay of 10,000. I didn't need a lawyer. Both my son and I got it right a way.But get your Dr.s in on it and sometimes they can speed things up for you.You can not work so somebody needs to help you.

They took my wife's away when we got married. Someone told her I made too much. $25,000 a year in 2006. The thing that burns me is that she cannot find gainful employment because of her E and she has cerebral palsy on her right side. I've tried to teach her how to drive but she does not have the reflexes to make split second moves when driving. Where thinking of trying again.

I think my seizures were to rotton . My doctor did it for me . My advice is to get letters saying when you were diagnosed and what type of seizure s you have. If you can drive.What medacations you are currently on. And so forth.

Depends on how many people are in your house hold and how much you make. I was on just medicaid for a while, when I was married.Like my son gets ssi and child support so they only count 1/3 child support.

There would be 2 people, and the only income (between us) would be my disability and my husband's income.

According to the following, if I get my own disability benefits (and get married or divorced), my benefits would continue? It doesn't mention anything about my new spouse's income? (scroll to 'If you get married or divorced')...

http://ssa.gov/pubs/10153.html

It also mentions how disability would be affected if one was collecting a spouse's disability benefits. How is this even possible (to collect a spouse's disability)? I thought only the disabled person could collect it for him or herself, except in circumstances where the disabled person wasn't capable of handling the benefits (mentally incapable, elderly, etc...)

I'm lucky to have supervision that let's me off early to take my wife to the doctors especially right now that she pregnant. If she was to take the taxi, it would be about $70 round trip. I'm trying to make her as independent as much as possible. I haven't been deployed since we've been married.

I applied in march and got an attorney in may. I was told ssi will be denied and I need to get my neuropsych ASAP! I've been trying since march to get treatment but have been unsuccessful so far. Also I'm not getting temp disability while I wait which is killing me financially because I have 3 kids. It sounds horrible but its almost like being punished for being married. I was told if you make more than $900 a month for a family of 5 you're above the poverty level. You can't even rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $900 a month in California so I don't know how anyone could survive on that! It's ridiculous!
Sorry to ramble it just makes me upset. Good luck to everyone who is fighting for their disability.

I was told by my Neur. that I had some nerve to ask about disability.

I had refused to give it a thought for many years. I worked in acct. for over 20 years.
But as my situation got worse, I asked.
I kept thinking it was going to get better, then I could return to work.

Now I have been out of work for over 10 years. I was told you would have had to worked in the last 10 years. (I wish)

I hope everyone who is tring to get disability all the luck.

I'm hopeful here in Canada it doesn't take too long. The worker said that because of the situation I'm in with the seizures it should go right through. I just sent in the papers last week, it took almost a month to see the doctor. I read through it and she put in there is no way I should be in any work situation because of the severity of the seizures and because of my vision and memory problems. In any case I've been told the average wait is 6-12 months, mine should be 1-4, so I was told by the case worker I saw.

I was told by my Neur. that I had some nerve to ask about disability.

I had refused to give it a thought for many years. I worked in acct. for over 20 years.
But as my situation got worse, I asked.
I kept thinking it was going to get better, then I could return to work.

Now I have been out of work for over 10 years. I was told you would have had to worked in the last 10 years. (I wish)

I hope everyone who is tring to get disability all the luck.

It will be 5 years in December since my wife has worked. She hasn't been able to find gainful employment since we've been married, even with the govt employee preference she has where ever I'm stationed at. If you want to look at it another way, her disability is slowly indirectly effecting my career as well. 10 more years and I can retire from the military. 20 and done... :woot:

Maryland is pretty fast and lenient. I started the process about a month and a half ago and I'm already in the final step, and it seems I'm gonna get approved. So...but that's Maryland. I know other states are more difficult

Yea but just because our government can't ration money we shouldn't be the ones penalized for it

With all the cuts going on, it scares me a little.

well just today, this morning I missed an additional, maybe, two hours of work because of weekend seizure activity, not driving, bus arrived too soon, waited another hour

oh well, I sure could use those extra two hours
I guess it's time to hit the roads in my suv again
stay off the pavement and sidewalk folks
there's about two tons of 35mph steel on the way that may tend to be a bit unpredictable

:ponder:

I completed all the forms they sent me and now I guess I will sit and wait. I'm thinking my neuro dr. won't be much help. I've struggled with anxiety and depression for 11 years and now with my epilepsy diagnosis my anxiety is the highest it has ever been. When I seen her 2 wks ago she told me not to worry and not be so anxious. If only it were that easy I would have been cured YEARS ago! I hate leaving the house and when I do I am an anxious mess. It is worse if I have to be somewhere, like a doctor appt. I don't even make plans with friends b/c I hate knowing I have to be somewhere and how anxious it makes me feel. I guess I will sit and wait and see if I get approved.

Back
Top Bottom