Film Avatar in 3D - seeing at 7:45pm UK time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Deb12345

New
Reaction score
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to watch a 3D film at the cinema with epilepsy? My chap has asked me to see Avatar in 3D tonight at 7:45pm UK time. I have never seen a 3D film, so haven't got a clue what they are like. The film is 2hours 40mins long. Now, I haven't had a tonic-clonic since August last year (my tablets were still being sorted out at the time) and only once have I felt weird coming out of the cinema after watching a film (again that was around July last year). Since then I have been ok watching cinema films. I still get the odd aura (don’t think I have any other type of seizures), so my question is do you think it is wise for me to go and watch the film in 3D tonight. I really would like to but just want to check what you guys think first. :p I feel fine today other than a bit of a tummy ache because I have pigged out on lots of junk food, been as its Saturday – chill out day. :bump: So what do you think? Thank you for your time. I hope all is OK.
Best Wishes
Debbie
:pop:

Not sure if you will see this in time. Texas is GMT -6. (UTC-6) and it is now 11:30 AM here.
I saw Avatar 3D. I thought the cinematography and CGI was good. However, please note that I am not (usually) photo-sensitive.
I doubt if this was any help, but I did not notice anything 'flashy', but there was movement from shade to sunlight. That may cause you problems.

I would think that 3D movies would be most likely to bother you if you're photosensitive & react to flashing lights.

Even if you're not photosensitive you might discover a new trigger for your seizures but I'd have to not be photosensitive before taking that chance.

3D movies haven't been a problem for me, although if they are on the giant IMAX screen I sometimes get a little nauseous from the motion. I just close my eyes for those parts.

I am pretty photosentive when it comes to coloured lights. And there are a lot actually that randomly show up and then fade. The 3D images are cool. But there is one part where there is a swirling flashing worm hole thing when Jake links with his Avatar. I had about a 8 to 9 minute complex partial. Other wise from I remember of the movie it was good. I slept for a guy after the CP too. Only like 10 or 15. Then the noises woke me

I saw Avatar in 2D. I loved the movie and effects. A couple of times, I could tell the images were getting to me, nothing serious, but enough to notice. I would definitely caution anyone who is photosensitive to stay away from the 3D or even the 2D since it is so flashy, but for most of us it should be OK. Definitely a movie worth seeing.

Yep, "Avatar" in 3D was fantastic. Recommend anyone to go and see it if they can. :eek:) Going to watch "Daybreakers" next though think that might be a bit gory at times. Eek! lol Chap wants to see it. :pop:

Maybe I'll catch Avatar this weekend. I'll bring my sunglasses just in case...

hey deb, daybreakers rocks! hope u like it. and im glad u had a good time with avatar. im yet to see it. but i have a question. u mentioned back in july u felt weird coming out of the cinema after seeing certain films and that u still get the "odd aura?" i was wondering if u could elaborate on that for me?????

Saw it loved it!! Had to adjust to the 3-D. At first made me dizzy, and a little nauseated, but that went away after a few seconds. Am not light sensitive, so it was a good experience.

Morgan wrote:
"hey deb, daybreakers rocks!u mentioned back in july u felt weird coming out of the cinema after seeing certain films and that u still get the "odd aura?" i was wondering if u could elaborate on that for me?????"

Hello Morgan,
When I came out of the cinema that one time I felt drunk and was giggling a lot (didn't have any alcohol - don't really drink). Was relying on my chap to get me to his car in one piece. Luckily at the time and even now I see the funny side of it. :rolleyes: Don't think my chap did. Think he thought I was making it all up.

Regarding auras: They vary. I generally get an aura before a tonic clonic i.e. hearing voices or feeling very giddy / not right. Auras (others would call them simple partial seizures :D ) before and at the beginning of taking my epilepsy tablets I used to have very vivid auras i.e very bright dancing numbers which I could also see with my eyes closed, pretty colours, concave or convex vision, vivid bright zig-zags which could either be at the side of my right eye or across both eyes etc. The time they lasted varied. Now-a-days my auras touch wood aren’t so strong i.e. some bright blob might catch my eye for a split second. I get funny feelings which I am not sure whether or not they are auras. Since last week I have been getting quite a lot of short auras which are getting me a little frightened at the mow. The other day I was walking when I saw what I call lots of maggot like wiggles in both eyes which were bright at the head and light at the back. That lasted for about 10 – 15 secs. So as you can see they vary. :)

I hope the above info has helped. :p

I didn’t go and see "Daybreakers" in the end because my chap changed his mind. :( He said it looked as though there wasn’t much of a story to it. I disagree. Is there a good story behind it? :pop: If so I will try and change his mind.

I hope you've had a good day.
Best Wishes
Debbie
:banana:

Morgan wrote:
"hey deb, daybreakers rocks!u mentioned back in july u felt weird coming out of the cinema after seeing certain films and that u still get the "odd aura?" i was wondering if u could elaborate on that for me?????"

Hello Morgan,
When I came out of the cinema that one time I felt drunk and was giggling a lot (didn't have any alcohol - don't really drink). Was relying on my chap to get me to his car in one piece. Luckily at the time and even now I see the funny side of it. :rolleyes: Don't think my chap did. Think he thought I was making it all up.

Regarding auras: They vary. I generally get an aura before a tonic clonic i.e. hearing voices or feeling very giddy / not right. Auras (others would call them simple partial seizures :D ) before and at the beginning of taking my epilepsy tablets I used to have very vivid auras i.e very bright dancing numbers which I could also see with my eyes closed, pretty colours, concave or convex vision, vivid bright zig-zags which could either be at the side of my right eye or across both eyes etc. The time they lasted varied. Now-a-days my auras touch wood aren’t so strong i.e. some bright blob might catch my eye for a split second. I get funny feelings which I am not sure whether or not they are auras. Since last week I have been getting quite a lot of short auras which are getting me a little frightened at the mow. The other day I was walking when I saw what I call lots of maggot like wiggles in both eyes which were bright at the head and light at the back. That lasted for about 10 – 15 secs. So as you can see they vary. :)

I hope the above info has helped. :p

I didn’t go and see "Daybreakers" in the end because my chap changed his mind. :( He said it looked as though there wasn’t much of a story to it. I disagree. Is there a good story behind it? :pop: If so I will try and change his mind.

I hope you've had a good day.
Best Wishes
Debbie
:banana:

thanx! that helped alot! i think i been having more auras than i realized since i was young. which ties into why i didnt get diagnosed w/ epilepsy till i was a teen. i get similar auras. seem to always see a vibrant green flash across my eye lids (when my eyes r closed obviously). like a lighthouse casting a light that goes directly across my line of vision. but back to daybreakers. i think it def. had a good plot! very original. if ur chap was looking for a plot more like the other vamp movies out right now he will be a lil disappointed but i still loved it!!!

Back
Top Bottom